Empires on UE4 (A collaborative project)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kylegar, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I've been wondering the same thing. We hear about games "knocking off" tf2 or Minecraft, but those seem like natural eventualities to me.

I love my aaa games and their beautiful assets, but even the prettiest asset gets boring after 1000+ hours of multiplayer. That's where a Minecraft-esque voxel-based system allows for a simple framework for the community to make tons of new content to keep things fresh AND actually have fun creating it. It's not "work" to make most kinds of functional assets in a voxel-based environment, so you don't even need to pay them to create content for your game!

Likewise, the tf2 route is more of a compromise where the art style makes it easier to create content, but you do need to provide some means of compensation to content creators since some "unfun" effort is required. However, this can actually have it's own advantages! In the case of tf2, you can let content creators sell straight to users in a free-ish market where the best content should naturally rise to the top.

I think voxel-based games are still superior for modern mass market multiplayer games, but there are definitely some options out there.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

you know we kinda reached the point several years ago. for small independent developers its almost impossible to reach the visual fidelity of modern aaa games simply because the sheer amount of work needed to generate art.

edit:
    when bfbc2 was new, some dice guy said it wouldnt pay off to release mod tools because the audience able to handle them wouldnt justify it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  3. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Since you guys already seem that interested, have a look in the art section. There are some nice papers on PBR in the last two posts.

4. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Thanks for the insights btw, I had no clue that this PBR-thingy is basically going to revolutionize the quality of textures.

5. Deiform

Deiform Member

For people who were waiting for the student dev pack from Github, they've got to my application now so I expect the others will be coming shortly (Kylegar looks to be busy with other things atm however).

6. Vdragon

Vdragon Member

Yea i just received it too.
    Althought i don't have time to put into the project anymore...

7. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Same here, but I've already deleted the repository to free up space and don't feel like redownloading it again.

8. complete_

complete_ lamer

you guys are soo cool

9. zenarion

zenarion Member

Yall better make a god damn kickstarter for this.

10. Silk

Silk Mapper

Don't think you'd get a lot of support with empires being so different from mainstream games, but you never know untill you try I suppose ...

Is it still being worked on actually, haven't been here for months?

11. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Right now Kylegar seems to be busy elsewhere. I haven't stopped working with Unreal 4 though. At the moment I am making some experiments with my bf. To be completely honest, we both have some ideas here and there, but want to do something simpler first to get to know the engine better. We feel if we would start on our version of Empires right now, it might end up bad, because of the lack of experience. That and we don't really know how to solve the community mapping problem with Unreal 4. Technically every mapper would need a Unreal 4 license of their own and all the assets we end up creating.

12. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I'm finally back to my computer again so I can spend some time on this. Admittedly I have a feeling I forgot a bunch of stuff, but I think I can at least make a simple demo level. I know I want to continue working on ue4 empires for awhile, but mostly for practice because there's some game ideas I want to try out and I feel ue4 gives me the ability to actually achieve that.

First I have to finish those damn scripts for source empires, I swear whatever happens to vehicles in ue4 it better not be horribly complicated to deal with.

13. Silk

Silk Mapper

Yeah you can definitely count out people like me who don't want to pay for things like this ;)

14. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Hey silk, weve got this old map of yours that has this slight problem of starting with 100 res, think you can fix that?

15. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

You can fix that by editing the map in Notepad++, search for Emp_info_params and change the res.

No need for a recompile.

16. Z100000M

Two things
    Okay, cool, i just remember someone saying you actually needed to recom.
    Why hasnt it been done already then though.

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Because the average person doesn't a shit?

18. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Because I just found out about the notepad++ thing and I don't know which map it is that needs more res. :)

19. Z100000M

emp_flat

20. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.