Empires Minimaps

Discussion in 'Archive' started by [lodw]keef, Feb 26, 2010.

1. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

Empires minimaps

-added area numbers and letters
    -changed all the resource files to line up properly on a decent grid line(no more .001 inch of grid at the bottom to count up the grid)

I didnt change the minimaps of maps that are being worked on, because its rather pointless when you'll have to do it again.

Click to Download

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  2. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Good work. Every minimap should look like this!

If now it also would be visible on minimap what certain flags are doing it would be 100% perfect.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Holy shit is that the new isle?

4. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Damn, Cyclopean really needs a remake.

5. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Yeah it is, its the only sneak peak you'll get till release

6. arklansman

arklansman Member

facepalm

7. Deiform

Deiform Member

You could've got rid of net_graph...

8. arklansman

arklansman Member

Those are ingame images of the minimap, not the minimap itself. :p

9. Deiform

Deiform Member

Oh ok fair enough :P

10. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Sexy!

Also, did you just type the numbers into the vtfs directly or is there some other way you got them into the minimap?

11. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

A long time ago, for Keef's and my custom maps, I made the grid coordinate labels & saved it as a .psd - so whenever we put together a new map, we just take the screenshot of the cl_leveloverview, doctor it up if necessary (paint water in, etc.), and then just drag it into the .psd and move it beneath the grid labels layer.

Subsequently, we just organize the /resource/maps/emp_mapname.txt to have the necessary values to give it a 5x5 grid layout. I sent the .psd to Keef so he could update the official maps & also use it for custom maps without needing me (since I'm too lazy now-days).

We figured long ago that it's optimal for most maps to have a 5x5 grid, with the odd exceptions being maps like emp_streetsoffire (4x5 as shown above), emp_rainbowroad, emp_provinggrounds (4x8 or something like that, i think), emp_empirescup (just has one grid box for the whole map). Much more than 5x5 and the grid layout is unnecessarily detailed for most maps.

emp_mvalley is a good example - A4's significance is that it has a ref. When commanders tell players to go to A4, it's mostly because they need to protect/acquire that resource node. So A4 could be a much bigger grid box (and even be named something else), and people will still understand the significance of going there.

I think overall players will like these - once they get used to the change, they'll understand it. It's much more consistent, so perhaps there will be a smaller amount of confusion - albeit I still would like to see a cardinal direction compass overlayed ontop of the minimap (or perhaps ontop of the minimap once you hit enter to view the big version). I can understand why someone wouldn't know what C2 is on emp_cyclopean (since it doesn't show up unless you're there), but I am dumbfounded when someone doesn't understand what South West is on emp_canyon.

All around it's a great improvement - I'm glad Keef did it, 'cause I couldn't be bothered. :P

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  12. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

shush you, no one knows how to read!