Empires mapping tool complaints

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by NekoBaron, Aug 24, 2016.

1. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

Please change all antibuild/antivehicle/anticomm brushes to not render similar to trigger brushes so when mapping mappers dont have to see giant yellow boxes of nodraw/wardon, I know you can technically group these to not show as a user group in hammer but it would be great if we could texture them with tools_trigger or something new like tools_empclip so its easier to keep track of and still be able to see the map.

I would also like to see the empires flag models used in game to be skin based instead of using 3 different identical models, I understand you would have to leave them in for now for legacy but it would be good if the neutral flags had skin settings to change them to BE/NF dynamically without using 3 models.

BlackRedDead likes this.
  2. Thexa4

Thexa4 Developer Staff Member Moderator

We don't have the source code for Hammer, making changes we can make to it are limited to changing the definition file that ships with Empires.

If you have changes to that file you'd like us to ship with the game, post the changes here and we'll consider adding it.

BlackRedDead likes this.
  3. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Use the invisible texture instead of nodraw for those brushes, it's transparent so it's easier to see stuff with it.

But I agree on the points you've made.

4. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

Its not hammer as far as I know, its the game deciding to render the nobuild brushes if they don't have nodraw texture to force it to not draw ingame, the same way the game is smart enough to know to not render trigger brushes because of the brush definition.

I know but I am used to the invisible texture being used for invisible walls which block ents from crossing it.

5. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Using the little "nodraw" button on the top bar you can toggle all nodraw faces on/off.
    [​IMG]
    It only applies to tools/toolsnodraw, not to the legacy copy called common/tools/toolsnodraw. You can use the texture replace tool to make sure they're all the right one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

Varbles did you even read :/ I know that stuff, I wanted to see an actual proper way added in the game so it knows not to render it.

7. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

So create a custom texture based off the nodraw .vmt with transparency added?

Just paste:
    $no_draw 1

into the .vmt file.