Empires is anti XP

Discussion in 'Support' started by mcthugg, Aug 4, 2011.

1. LawnNome

LawnNome Member

dont even bother with windows 8 if its not for a tablet, you'll end up with nothing new. get a touchscreen monitor if you want the 'latest and greatest' but theres nothing i'm really excited about in the new version except that your pc will be able to buy windows live and xbox games from a marketplace...like a fucking phone... and touch screen controls and gestures...like a fucking phone...and theres multiple desktops to put icons on...like a fucking phone...oh did i mention skype?

sure theres plenty a windows pc can do that my android phone cant, but why the fuck would i want to feel like im using my phone os on my pc?

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

To be entirely honest, I'm starting to get worried about Windows 8. Windows 7 is an incredible operating system. If they fuck up Windows 8 then we'll have more and more macfags, which is the last thing anyone wants.

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

why not worry about linux? better then mac. :P

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Because if people use Linux distros, that's fine with me. I just don't want more macfags in the world. Because they're bad people.

5. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

sudo mac users do create snob clouds :(

6. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

Indeed, Mactards bring only trouble.

RE: Windows 8: :headshot:
    RE: Windows XP: I use it for compatibility reasons. That's about it. And the fact that I'm not about to pay eighty bucks for an OS that's about to be replaced [by a crappier OS].

7. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

From what I know, W8 is only W7 with an updated GUI or some shit like that. I haven't heard any "groundbreaking" things like DX12 or something.

8. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

I've read its gonna be dx11.1. its main new feature would be support for stereoscopic rendering ...
    how useful. anyway w8 best thing is going to be the unification of pc and tablet OS. finally it will make some sense to get a tablet instead of a net/notebook ...

9. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/

Nothing "groundbreaking", but there's a hell of a lot of polish.

Basically, Windows 7 => Windows 8 is the same transformation that Empires needs to make (if it had a dev tem, blah blah blah). Little to no actual feature additions, just making the same old features usable.

The only groundbreaking thing I can think of is the cloud additions. It's going to rock in a few years.

10. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

I heard it's extremely tablet-centric, to the point where its main menu (or whatever it is you use to navigate programs by category, not the Start Menu but something else) is LARGE COLORFUL BUTTONS. And said menu is used to do 90% of everything it does.

11. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Which is appropriate since most normal people will be using tablets in the years after its release.

We all have big hot gaming desktops, but there are real people in the world that can only afford cheap laptops. In a few years, "cheap laptops" will be replaced with "cheap tablets". Mainstream software is *gasp* for mainstream users.

But never fear, big hot desktops will be taken care of. Plug another monitor in and you'll see a legacy desktop on it (and on every additional monitor). Throw your widgets and links on the launcher (where they belong) and you can use the machine quite normally.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011