Empires is anti XP

Discussion in 'Support' started by mcthugg, Aug 4, 2011.

1. mcthugg

mcthugg Banned

Why do companies use windows ?
    Too me that is retarded. They would be better of running a 3rd part operating system. Windows is great for home use but why risk the security of a company.

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

The servers are often run on a Linux distribution, but the computers on Windows. You can't expect every employee to learn an entirely new operating system, and on top of that, the ease of use just saves time.

3. mcthugg

mcthugg Banned

What ever the company is it can have an operating system that has an interface designed for it's needs. I worked for one of the worlds biggest companies and it actually saved about a billion dollars by having a operating system designed for them and getting rid of windows.

4. Trickster

You are really being dumb here. How many companies can afford that? Think about the loss of compatibility with other applications that are developed for windows. And as you said, it was a huge company. Most companies aren't huge, so they just don't have the need. Windows accomplishes the tasks required fine. Seriously, are you fucking retarded?

5. mcthugg

mcthugg Banned

Most 3rd party software companies are willing to develop an operating system to fit a companies needs cheaper then the cost of windows. That is how they stay in business. Having a company run windows is just silly and unprofessional. 98% of viruses are aimed at windows. Windows is counter productive as it allows employees to slack off more. The loss of compatibility is a good thing in the business world. It adds another layer of security.

6. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Sounds like you worked in a technical field, with technically trained coworkers.

I work at a library and I'm used to showing people where the [insert computer topic] For Dummies books are located (~005, if you care). I hear, "my work is changing to a new microsoft" all the time. I typically shove them away with Win7 and Office 2007 books just in case.

A custom OS has really awesome potential, but all I can think of are training headaches. Those Dummies books are thorough (They have a DnD book!), but they don't exist for custom OSes.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  7. mcthugg

mcthugg Banned

That is the beauty of custom OS. You can have them very simple. No matter What business you are in. You mostly use the same programs over and over again. With a custom OS you can have access to all them programs on one screen. Just think about whatever operation system you use now. Now think about how much of that OS you use and how much is just there taking up space. Windows is made for a broader use so it has things for everyone but not just the things you use. So you have the choice of thinking of what your business needs or taking the lazy way and pay more for a OS that covers all.
    Yes I did work in the technical field. I helped design and test military grade fiber optics.

8. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Wuaarrgh, it starts to hurt again, to even read his posts.

I won't even start pointing out where mcthugg is wrong, 80% of his posts are just plain brainfuck.

9. Trickster

Yeah, I gave up with him, he's so stupid it's not even worth explaining to him why he's wrong, because he wouldn't understand.

10. mcthugg

mcthugg Banned

Trickste since you are all knowing and never wrong.... Explain why you are right and the biggest companies in the world are wrong. Explain why the fuck any....any company would need windows. Also explain why it would it would be so hard to teach an employee how to use an OS that putts access to every thing needed on one screen ?

11. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

You're missing the key point. You're a techie, you have spent years of your life learning software conventions that are now unconscious. The layman doesn't have that knowledge. The layman cannot deal with a software change.

I don't care how simple you think a custom OS can be, it will still be too complicated for the layman.

Anybody remember Office 2007? No, why not? Because you have the capacity to learn a new interface. Office 2007 will be half a decade old in a few months, yet I still get people that can't use the Office 2007 ribbon.

Ok ok, so that's just an Office suite, right? My library moved to Vista a year ago. The deadbeat IT guy left early for the night and no one knew how to shut down a Vista computer. They honestly could not find the shut down button.

It's not the big things, it's the little ones. You jump to anything new and people drown.

12. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Because all the programs are made for windows, any program you find it's compatible with windows, and usually companies have contracts with software companies to use their shit, like Microsoft Office, Photoshop or something. A lot of programs written on Linux can work on Windows, but a lot of programs written on Windows won't work on Linux. And if your company is using Mac OS X or BSD then you can't really do much since you can only use programs verified by them, which I don't even know how it works on BSD.

It's compatibility over security, Linux runs servers, Windows runs personal computers, everybody is happy.

13. Trickster

Ok, firstly you have scale. Commissioning someone to create an entire fucking operating system, bespoke for a single purpose, is expensive. So expensive in fact, that very few companies can afford it. And many that can, see no reason to, because the costs simply don't justify the benefits. On top of that, many companies don't just use their PCs for a specific purpose, they use them for a variety of reasons, not all work related. Why would they pay to limit themselves? On top of that, Windows has an entire company constantly updating it. What does a custom OS have? Every time a new use is required, it can't be updated without shelling out yet again. There is simply no reason for 99% of companies to waste time with it. The costs will never ever justify the gain for them. If this one, very specific application you worked in happened to use it, then that's great for you. But the vast majority of companies simply don't need it, because windows is cheaper, easier, and fulfils all of their requirements without any problems. If something isn't broken, there's absolutely no reason to fix it.

It's not even about the level of intelligence of people operating, it's about plain and simple economy.

14. mcthugg

mcthugg Banned

Lmfao....Trickster are you fresh out of school ???
    Software companies already have custom OS. They just tweak them to a customers needs. They are cheaper then a windows license and they come with a warranty. Any problems and the software company will fix it. Last time I checked MS will not send a tech out to fix a problem.
    "without any problems" That is a fucking joke right ???

15. Trickster

Actually, I've probably worked for not only more companies than you, but ones worth considerably more. Microsoft don't need to send anyone out, that's the entire fucking point. It's so simple anyone can fix it, and if it's more complex like a server setup, then there are thousands of people able to fix it, not a small select group from a select company which made the OS, which can of course, charge you whatever they like for the callout.

And if they're tweaking an existing OS to the customer's needs, how is that any different to pre-configured enterprise editions of windows for companies? Except as always, less compatibility for adding on extra applications. And I love the way you skipped my entire point about not being able to add new features to it without going back to the original company that made it.

16. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

yes... YES.. MORE DRAMA!

17. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Oh you mean they just grab the latest build of a Linux distro that suits them and hammer at it until it resembles something custom

18. mcthugg

mcthugg Banned

Basically.....And Trickster...working as a custodian and not being able to hold a job are not things to brag about :P

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  19. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Nah he checks welds, apparently it's a highly sought after skill because he gets paid fucktonnes

20. mcthugg

mcthugg Banned

That is an odd job. Now I know why he is so moody. Having to deal with asshole welders all day that always think they are right......So he spends his whole day explaining to someone that they did something wrong.Gets home checks these forums and deals with assholes like me....Trickster you need a vacation.
    By the way even big companies use windows. But they used a shelled OS within widows for normal day to day things.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011