Empires is 4 years old!

Discussion in 'News' started by Beerdude26, Mar 4, 2010.

1. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Yeh, enzo instantly deleted the whole forum when that happened.

2. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Ahh, Empires: Troll Edition.

Also, the days of only having a grand total of 16 testers. Yea, our 10 people tests didn't lag at all, but OH GOD when it was released.

I'll never forget tank jousting, back in the day when medium tank turrets had collision models. It was always fun to fling a BE Med from the BE base to the NF base in Duststorm.

3. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

I miss ceiling turrets :(

4. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Also, in rememberence of the old forums

:o

5. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

6. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

:o

<filler>

7. arklansman

arklansman Member

CombO: breaker

8. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

congrats empires
    we qualify as a dysfunctional family at this point

9. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Let's see. I remember pre 1.0 testing being buggy. People would crash at random times, but I was getting tired of holding onto it. Megel and I worked on the first trailer movie that showed cool tank battles and the dropships flying around on Duststorm (lol, aircraft). It also had the release date announcement. Valve contacted me:

I told them it was a little too late for that as I had already announced the release date, lol.

I released it, and there were a lot of problems. The MGs were super overpowered. Players crashed a lot. There was a lot of lag. However, the Steam stats would say 1000 people were playing (and raging). I gave up a lot of sleep to implement fixes as fast as I can. I often found out that the way I did things was flat out wrong and had to be redone to fix the crashing.

Then we didn't have a Linux server so I was looking for a Linux coder. Gen Leet contacted me about doing it, and after a week, he turned the RPG smoke purple, stole the source code, and uploaded it to the pirate bay.

It was a fun time.

10. Empty

Empty Member

Someone already did something I planned to do?
    Bugrit.

11. Elkano

Elkano Member

ah... the good old days...
    I still remember playing around a bit with the BF version where the build GUI was hanging just in the air iirc ^^
    And like already said the annoying tank lags after the release ^^
    Also I'm still proud of having contributed in finding at least one bug (damage detection for the VF was kind of broken)...

man... how time passes...

12. Silk

Silk Mapper

Haha yes, i was literally spending more time restarting empires and watching a map load, than i could actually spend time playing it ^^

Yet eventhough it was rare that i could play for 5 minutes straight before crashing, i kept restarting it. That means something.

It wasn't perfect at all, but it offered new gameplay to me and it had promise. Plus it had players raging all the time, which i do not like at all but nevertheless feel drawn to. The community was ... lively.

13. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Oh, and the phpbb forums got hacked at the same time, and we moved to some open source forums and then to vbulletin. Then everyone stopped playing, and we went into 1.08 test mode for 1.5 years.

14. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

I think 1.08 testing was the height of empires funness.

15. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I agree

16. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

1.08...good times.

We need to strive and bring those times back.

17. @@@@Marcin@@@@

@@@@Marcin@@@@ Developer

Empires died when I lost G4TC admin IMO.

18. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

:pathetic:

19. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It can come again...we basically need more players to offset the fail. The way I see it is, we have a consistent number of n00bs (not newbies) who just...fail. But generally regardless of how many people we get in, the n00b number seems to remain constant, although we do get more griefers. If we can get more people playing, the reliable playerbase should expand. I see a lot of people I have no knowledge of being really good players now...and while I don't play that much, added to the people we already have...it's getting better, or should be.

We also need a really accessible tutorial/map/video(s) so we can separate the n00bs from the newbies.

And lastly, we need to sort out releases so the trees aren't full of fail, and release new (tested) content every 4-6 months if the devs can.

20. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Haha, fun memories. Krenzo, remember Jeep races? I thought up making race tracks out of miles of unbuilt walls (that we spent hours building for the fuk of it anyways), and had races starting in the middle of the night about a week after launch (still on the old forums). Then when I made a thread with all the screen shots, I called the thread "The First Jeep Races" or something like that.

Your beta testers RAEGED out that I called it the first (apparently they had done something similar in testing), and they kept editing my thread title, I kept editing it back, until you finally posted that I would be banned if I didn't stop editing the title XD.

Fun memories, too bad those forumz got haxxord.