Empires Custom Map Pack: Release (17 maps)

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Trickster, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

It must be a common mistake, since I used to read your name as Jimanther. Then one day, I took a closer look at your name, and I was like "huh... there's no N"

Just like how I used to mis-read Daruck as Darduck.

2. Crispy

Crispy Member

Please note I was not judging the mappack, but my initial post was pointing out that insisting on a 'Beta 3' or '2nd version' as a benchmark for any type of mappack is fairly worthless (for the reasons I pointed out). If this mappack is for testing purposes, or aggregating a bunch of custom maps in a single download, neither is a problem, nor did I say it was. Less of the straw man character assassination, please.

3. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

You made an incorrect distinction:

We want the players to obtain and play these maps as if they are the final versions (or otherwise the only versions available) so that results are more meaningful.

I didn't accuse you of judging the map pack, though you did get hung up quite a bit on semantics with regards to the maps themselves. Your participation in this thread has been largely unhelpful, so I asked you kindly to cease participation in it. If anyone here is using a straw man argument, it's certainly not I.

4. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

FYI, your EXE would only install into C:\Program Files\steam\ etc...
    The uninstall part, however, went to the right place for me (H:\steam\etc..)
    Just so you know...

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

You just need to change the directory, I put the default directory and I can assure you more people have C:/ as a main drive than any other drive, the uninstaller will uninsall determined on where the install was placed. When you say it wouldn't install to the right place, do you mean you had to change it or it actually refused? I just compiled an installer, I can't have it "detect" your steam folder.

6. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

noob server has fast download and will always have up to date customs in rotation. If you see a new map you want to check out, hop on and RTV it. easy to do.

7. Trickster

Ok. Lets take a lookse at progress then.

emp_coast_b5
    emp_research_1_2
    emp_snowbound_1_2
    emp_silo? (omneh's map, insurrection he said is dead.)
    emp_shadows_rc11 (GET A MOVE ON CYBER)
    emp_smokies_rc2 (LIKEWISE)
    emp_midbridge_b3 (I'll ask pastori)
    emp_tropicvendetta_b2 is done :D
    emp_duststorm2? (i'll ask Silk how this is going)
    emp_homeland_b7 with cars
    emp_silo (Grizzly's map, dno whats happening namewise between him and Omneh)

8. Stretch

Stretch Member

Hey guys,

I installed this map pack, but the server still seems to want to make me download them when I connect. Did I install incorrectly?

Right now, I have a folder called "Empires - Do not Touch" under my Empires folder, so that it looks like this:
    C:\ProgramFiles\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Empires\Empires - Do not Touch

Is this right?

9. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

That looks very wrong.

*downloads the map pack*

Ok... you need to put the folders that are inside of "Empires - Do not Touch" into "C:\ProgramFiles\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Empires\"

10. Trickster

The original folder I put everything in was on the desktop of the server called "empires-do not touch" but I didn't compile that...I don't see how it could have gotten into the install. I'm recompiling a new version on Saturday hopefully, so I'll check it out then. But I honestly have no idea how that got into the install, you're the first person to report it. Having said that, maybe some people didn't check after they installed, I tested it myself a few times, so, can people just check their folders for me so I know?

EDIT: In fact I'm sure I remember it working fine for me myself, and a few other people. Did you change any of the install parameters that may have caused this?

I know winrar does something where if you insta-extract it without clicking anywhere, it creates another folder to store it in. I could do with knowing if you changed any of the default directions so I can fix that. I'm sorta new to the whole installer thing so It was my first time with all of this, but I thought i'd thoroughly beta-tested it :(

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

with me the task message was called "empires - do not touch" but in the end everything was extracted correctly so i thought it was some kind of inside joke

12. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

the ZIP has a folder inside called "Empires - DO NOT TOUCH"

13. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

delta is removed from the map pack?

14. Trickster

No...why would it be removed?

Thats just an update with the newer maps in, notice none of them were in the original?

Also, I just checked the .zip, looks like I made a few fuckups with it, the installer seems to work fine though, I'm not gonna fix it for now because I plan to do my next release this weekend, Omneh is just finishing off emp_silo and so I want to include that.

So, I'll be releasing an incremental update, as well as a full new compile of the original version with the new ones included and the old maps which have been updated removed, it'll probably be around 25 maps, depending on how many have been updated and how many are new (frozensummit = new, coastb5 = updated, hence coastb3 will be removed).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  15. Jimather

Jimather Member

should have updated versions of research and snowbound within a couple of days.

16. Trickster

Oh sweet, well, Omneh had his silo compiled, it has a few issues, so hes going to fix that up and get a final compile done of that version.

Also, I'll speak to Flounder about homeland b8 and see how that is going.

17. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Trickster, the golden rule to release anything is to open it up on your PC before it gets uploaded ;)

18. Trickster

I did do that with the .exe, but the .zip was an afterthought for people who thought a .exe must 100% mean its definitely a virus, so I never tested it.

19. Jimather

Jimather Member

Been mapping hard, as sods law would dictate i need another day to fix some gay errors and do another compile and update minimaps etc.

20. Trickster

No worries, it'll be a little while anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.