Empires Community Map Proposition

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Doobie, May 13, 2006.

1. Doobie

Doobie Ancient Tester

Empires Mapping Project #1 (EMP1)
    Emp_Delta

This idea is still in its beginning stages, but it is one that I believe is overdue now. I am designing a level design that will be very large, and require a lot of mapping hours. I have drawn up a plan that is very exciting for me, but my real life is not allowing me to map for 8 hours a day like I would want to. This project will include many elements, and some that have not yet been used in Empires. This is a team project that will be creating a top notch “Official” map for Empires.

If you are interested in contributing to this project, please PM me explaining how much time you can work, and what you can do. I will be splitting the level into many parts for different people to complete. If you feel that you are particularly good at small detailed props that you can construct in hammer, then I will assign you to do just that. I will be looking for many different things, from small, detailed bunkers, to animated destructible walls.

Many people have commented on the average quality of the official maps, and with your help we can bring these standards up to a professional level.

My goal is to have this project finished by July 1st, and anyone who contributes, even in the smallest way, will receive due credit.

-DP

---------------------
    EDIT: Map name = Emp_delta

Thanks to those of you who have PMed me already, and I will be sending out work loads once I get everyone settled and ready. I am still looking for about 6 more people, so if you are interested, please PM me before the weekend is over.

As far as the details with the map are concerned, I will release images of our progress as it becomes available. The setting for this takes place on the outskirts of the Brenodi controlled territory. The Northern Faction will be invading the Brenodi controlled Delta Communications center. The Northern Faction will be mounting their attack from an abandoned and bombed outpost with rubble and fallen structures for cover. Much of the connecting map will be planned out chokepoints with a few open/flat areas for forward base opportunities. I am planning on making much of the environment destructible, and have various triggers to make the gameplay more interesting.

2. x3x3non

x3x3non Member

Will you share your plans/concept with us?

3. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Yes, openess will get people very exited.:p

4. Jimather

Jimather Member

tbh i would love to help, show us the plans and i will see where i might be able to do things.

5. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

I can help, I am pretty good with displacements. Also I am OK with buildings and structures.

6. Doobie

Doobie Ancient Tester

Updated with backstory...

7. stefan2904

stefan2904 Member

hmm, 1july? up from 7july my school is over and i maby are able to work on a Empires Mapping Project #2....

8. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Doobie, send me a list of props you might need and I can see about modeling them up for you.

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

dous it needs bunkers?

my speciallity on mapping, i love making bunkers
    from gunpits to large complex bunkers

10. Doobie

Doobie Ancient Tester

But if you model them, then i have to find someone to skin them. I think it might be easier if I just have ppl build them in hammer and export them to xsi or something. If you can find someone to skin your models on a reliable time frame then i would surely take the help.

There will be bunkers in the level, PM me by monday night at which time i will be deviding up the map.

11. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

With your openess, I am very excited. :p :D :rolleyes:

12. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Doobie, I can skin basic models on my own. Buildings especially but also normal props like tables, burnt out cars, wheelbarrows etc.

Ill show you one of my NF city building textures so you can see.

13. Angry

Angry Junior Member

I can do some decent textures... Hell I can do parallax maps.

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  14. El Haxor

El Haxor Member

I map, model, skin and do my own sounds. I think I'm set. :P

15. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

i've always wanted to do props of my own , let alone for a open project, i dont know how to export/import though.
    about 10 years ago i did a open project for a tfc map that i never knew what happend to. i know the last i had seen of it thought it turned out looking like a surreal disfunctional turd. mostly the reason for it was 1. nobody did an outline sketch 2. not good communitcation 3. peoples creative flow , flowed onto other people's flow

16. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

So long as somebody acts as co-ordinator, this sounds like a really good project!

17. Sebybeby

Sebybeby Member

Any models, textures, animating, or rigging i can help, I use maya, zbrush, and photoshop.

Go to the link in my sig to view my showreel.

pm if you want anything done, I work fast.

18. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I have PM'ed you some days ago, but i never got any reply.Do you want me in the project?

19. HornyRabbit

HornyRabbit Member

Same with me. Are we all forgotten or just some ignored on purpose?

20. Doobie

Doobie Ancient Tester

Alright everyone, I have a day job, but tonight im going to PM everyone who PMed me. If you want to do anything with this project you MUST pm me. Im not going to search through these forums to find ppl.

Once i orginize the 1st phase im not going to lock in the team, so if you gain interest in a few day/weeks then please shoot me a PM.

I know that projects like this have been done in the past, and have failed. I am planning on spending much of my time just orginizing people and projects. I will be setting deadlines on a regular basis to keep this project limited to 2 month. I will also be tweeking work submited to make it all work together.