Empires: Altered Universe

Discussion in 'General' started by Mr. Weedy, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

IT HAS BEEN RELEASED:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/125868283/Empires_AU_V0.26.rar.html

It seems it is time to start this thread because apparently I'm going to leave Empires.

I did a mod, in which no one helped me in any way except JCW87 gave me his server to test this mod on, that's all.

I'll thank those few with whom we quickly played two matches on the vehicle training map to find out some errors or balance issues.

So.

Basically what his mod is all about... Fuck it. Read the change log:

Code:
    -------------------------

Empires v2.12: Altered Universe V. 0.23 Announce:
    14.6.2008 Saturday

Mr. Weedy, the one who started modding the Empires, decided to hand over his work to someone else to continue the work where he had left to finish the mod and make it last public use.

Empires v2.12: Altered Universe V. 0.23 Changes:
    10.5.2008 Saturday

-Modified: Missiles are organized in the better way on the vehicle weapon list.

Empires v2.12: Altered Universe V. 0.22 Changes:
    9.5.2008 Friday

-Fixed: Heavy Caliber Machine Guns had wrong research item's name in the vehicle weapon script.
    -Fixed: Electricity Cannons weren't bound to any research item at all.

Empires v2.12: Altered Universe V. 0.2 Changes:
    30.4.2008 Wednesday

-Modified: Changed the complex bio replcament parts' HUD name a bit.
    -Modified: Plasma Cannon's "Vehicle Bio Damage" from 3 to 10. "Vehicle Bio Interval" from 0.5 to 2.5.
    -Modified: Heavy Caliber Plasma Artillery's "Vehicle Bio Damage" from 4 to 12. "Vehicle Bio Time" from 3 to 6. "Vehicle Bio Interval" from 0.5 to 3.
    -Modified: Heavy caliber artillery cannon's radius reduced from 1200 to 1100. Explosion force reduced from 130000 to 120000. Cycle time increased from 3.5 to 3.75.
    -Modified: Sledgehammer's force increased from 175000 to 200000.
    -Modified: Iron Fist's force increased from 130000 to 175000.
    -Modified: Light Electricity Cannon projectile's speed increased from 750 to 1000.
    -Modified: Heavy Electricity Cannon projectile's speed increased from 1500 to 2000.

-Fixed: All vehicles can now go as fast backwards as they can go forward with Fission engine. (In other words the vehicles' "speed limiter" is removed now and maximum reverse and forward speed comes from each engines' personal speed limit.)

Empires v2.12: Altered Universe
    Released to Alpha testing: 27.4.2008 Sunday.

Empires 2.12: Altered Universe Changes:

-Added: Different steam icon for Empires: 2.12: Altered Universe.
    -Added: Correct vehicle customization picture of BE APC.
    -Added: Correct commander selection picture of BE APC.
    -Added: Riot tanks for both factions.
    -Added: Modified versions of both heavy tanks and artilleries.
    -Added: New vehicle weapons.
    -Added: New vehicle equipments in weapons list.
    -Added: New research items. (The weapons mostly.)
    -Added: Different musics.
    -Added: Some old vehicle weapons have new sounds.
    -Added: New vehicle weapon sounds for new weapons.

-Modified: Altered order of in-game rank medals in class selection menu. (Golden ones come after white ones now.)
    -Modified: BE and NF jeeps are lighter now and at least somewhat easier to control with 3 phase and other engines. Also they are faster. (plus all kinds of other things has been done to them.)
    -Modified: BE HMG and NF .50 cal rifle now use shotgun shells as their ammunation.
    -Modified: Various changes to infantry weapons such as changing spread, firing speed and so on.
    -Modified: Volume level of shotgun fire sound is now a bit lower.
    -Modified: BE SMG2 doesn't sound like a peashooter anymore. (In other words the old firing sound is back.)
    -Modified: Volume level of "You have been promoted" sound file is now a bit higher.
    -Modified: Some research prices and times of old items have been altered.
    -Modified: Fission engine goes as fast backwards as forwards now. (At least it has the same top speed.)
    -Modified: Some armor values have been changed a bit.
    -Modified: Turret aiming heights for some tanks.

Empires v2.12
    January 8, 2008

Acknowledgement list:

-New vehicle weapons may be badly unbalanced.
    -New research items, times and prices may be unbalanced.
    -New infantry weapon scripts may be badly unbalanced.
    -New riot tanks maybe be a bit unbalanced.
    -The texts may have some errors in them so READ THEM CAREFULLY!
    -Riot tanks' commander selection pictures have wrong text in them.

-More engines?
    -More armors?
    -More vehicle weapons?
    Yep. Basically this mod is a lot of changes, a lot new vehicle weapons, new vehicles and a lot of added sounds because it sounded boring when all the artillery cannons sounded pretty much the same... Now some of those sounds have been changed and they sound a lot better. Especially the heavy caliber artillery cannons sound as earth shaking as they should.

There are some things left to do before this mod can be officially published for average players and one thing which prevented this mod's release in the pass was that no one wanted to finish up one very simple request. I asked three persons, they all said: "Yeah sure, I'll do it." but one month later when I ask at their progress, they say: "I kinda lost interest in it and did nothing." I wanted to hear constant status reports at these persons of the progress of this one thing which I wanted to include before releasing this mod but no one didn't do anything.

Sooo... I wish you, whoever decides to work on this, can finish them and release this mod to publicity.

I started this project as my personal project to spend time and start enjoying Empires as I used to enjoy it and time told me that it also would stay as very personal project. I asked different people to do different simple things for me to fasten things up, no one was interested to help me in any way. So I did this mod on my own.

There's still some work to be done such as finishing the rebalance of the infantry weapons because I didn't manage to test them at all. I'll include a note in the file which I'll give to that one person who'll start working on this mod to finish it up and tell in that what should be finished before releasing this to publicity.

Now what I want you to do is to sign up to take care of my mod and continue working on it.

Include your Empires forum name, in-game name and steam friends name and tell me why you would be a good choice to continue working on this mod and bringing it to a stage where it can last public playing.

When I'll get your email, I'll message back and let's try to settle a time when we could talk about this mod in privacy over steam.

I wouldn't like to hand this over because then I don't have power over my own mod but I don't have enough interest to keep working on this and because I couldn't bring it to stage where it could last public playing I couldn't release it to publicity to get feedback and encourage me to work on it.

So, anyone interested?

Edit: I decided to continue working on this mod.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  2. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

looks like a good mod.

3. Mr. Weedy

Looks? :D

Edit: Oh yeah and if I didn't meantion it already in the first post, I'll give the mod to the possible developers when they sign in and I accept them to test it out. After I found out who's that good one I'll make him official developer of my mod.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  4. ChadR

ChadR Member

i doubt anyone wants to develop for it, it looks really stupid

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I don't see how you're going to enforce this.

I mean the developer of a mod is whoever does the developing, so if someone decides to cut you out entirely I don't see what you can do about it.

6. Mr.Bungles

Mr.Bungles Member

i'd test it. but wouldnt develop for it.

7. Mr. Weedy

Well... If somebody would provide me a server because apparently JCW87 deleted my mod from his server without noting me, I can't finish this without a server and players to test it.

Yes, I could finish this but it would require those two which I quite surely won't get.

8. eth0

eth0 Member

Few comments:
    1) It was only that Thor mentioned your post here that i'd even heard of of your "mod", maybe the frustrations you've been having is simply a case of very few people actually know of this mod.
    2) On the face of it, yes i'd say there are some interesting sounding stuff in your mod, but i'm in the same position as Mr.Bungles
    3) In term of "possession" of your mod you might want to "license" your works with an GPL/LGPL (GNU Lesser General Public License) Point #4 May be what your looking for.

To be honest as far as future development goes i'd try to get a build of this made public (and a server to play on) i'd be willing to host a small server for people to try this out (i've no idea if this is a client and/or server set of files that need to change).

Let people make there retard comments and constructive criticisms as this should:
    1) give you an idea if enough people like this (mindful that empires community is both small, tight and has it good share of idiots),
    2) grab a few people's attention that might want to pick up your mod. I know i wouldn't want to pick up someone else works without assessing it current viability.

Anyway that's my 2 euros.
    -eth0

9. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I test it if im forced to :D

10. Lala

Lala Member

never heard about ur "mod" sry.

Yes, why not! ;)

11. Mr. Weedy

The reason why anyone hasn't heard of my mod is because this is its first public presentation.

I developed this on my own in peace. Then I thought it is time to alpha test it among CW member but I couldn't get enough people to test it out so it left there.

Now I though I'll make a post here and tell about this to people.

And apparently JCW's server is still up and running my mod so you could play it anytime you want but there's one thing. I already updated my version to 0.23 and I can't update the server's version because I can't even see the whole thing on the server... So I'll contact some people and ask around.

Maybe we could turn this around a bit and I'll stay in the lead to develope this mod and I'll gather an alpha testing team and release enough stable versions to publicity as betas.

Stay tuned as things get worked out. :)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  12. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

what's the aim of the mod, how does it change gameplay? or is it just a load of cool new weapons

13. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

It makes light and med tanks useful for late game. It ads a interesting new tank, the riot tank (dual 2slot mg), that one is a bit bugged but really fun to play with.
    Some new weapon concepts like kinetic missiles, carpet nade launchers and spam canons. I had some fun time with the mini mod.

14. Empyrean45

Empyrean45 Member

Sounds like an interesting mod, though I find vanilla Empires entertaining enough. Maybe if I have some free time I'll help test.

15. Mr. Weedy

Yeah, Brutos said what it is basically all about but it also adds new sounds too. ;P

I neutralized the BE's advantage with dual railguns and I also neutralized the NF's advantage with 5 missile slots.

Also I tried to make it so that LTs are still useful late game but you can't make them overpowered early game.

Also I have gotten one reply from three persons so far. Stay tuned. :)

16. Mr.Bungles

Mr.Bungles Member

well, as i say, id help test it.

17. Mr. Weedy

2 replies out of 3.

Someone note Eth0 and in some OTHER way than Empires forum's PM. Tell him to check his PMs on Empires' forum. :p

18. Mr.Bungles

Mr.Bungles Member

huh?! what you mean!?

19. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Nice :)

meds and lights in late game
    MG based tank
    Carpet nades

Well that are things i want in vanilla empires :D

and uhm as i said, i help testing :)

20. Mr.Bungles