Emp_Trenchassault

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Kidpaler, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

So, if you notice there are almost no trees around the trenches. It's fairly open. It's going to stay because it's the only available prop really...

I play verdun a lot as well, I was actually taking some of the design from the Champagne map (I think thats the really close quarter one that came out with the Flamethrower?).

2. Avatarix

If you want to make it like Champagne then make the trenches like 0.5m higher and make the passing over the trench MUCH harder, barbed wire everywhere, tree trunks overtrenches and artillery hitting everything everywhere everysecond (revengies will have fun, and nade spamming with machine guns will be epic).
    [​IMG]
    and maybe get a tree model without branches

3. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

This is actually planned. Barbed wire models are being made along with sandbags. I plan on making the over top route hard between trenches, forcing more trench fighting. That is what the map is suffering from in current playtests, people having free roam up top and down below. There will also be Tank Turret bunkers and callable arty back from the fortress now located on each side.

There will be 1 flag per trench network, and 1 back near the fort so 5 flags total and cutting down on the utter grind fest along with sandbags and obstacles in the trenches for cover. The only way to get around will be through the outside forest which can be defended against.

4. Avatarix

Well, trenches were made to cover from that artillery so again - much higher.
    Also, do you think about implementing that cooldown system as in Verdun for capturing? Attack /Defend -> Defend captured ground/Counterattack
    We just need to remove assault rifles and add smoke cover/gas warfare and we can play Verdun - Source

5. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Here are some A3 Screenshots:

Features:
    Barbed wire WILL KILL YOU and slow you. Redid a lot of trneches, added trench lighting as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Avatarix

Do they instakill or hurt?
    Also too much lightning for me, these funny lights would be destroyed instantly with any artillery strike (maybe add some lights in the trench as some lying headlamps?)
    Also can you put that barbed wire which you can crawl under a little lower? Looks pretty hilarious from that angle.
    And that tank looks funny

7. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

They hurt you, about 1/12th of your health per second. They also slow you.

There are lights in the trench, and the lights will eventually be destructible.

I want it that high, it's meant to impair movement and it does just that. You have to crouch, which slows you down and makes you an open target. If you stand up, you get stuck.
    Edit: It slows you down. Yea it looks funky, but it works. If it works, it aint stupid.

What tank?

8. Avatarix

SPURDO.png
    his tank is stuck, poor fin

9. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Ah. That is going to be the usable tank turret mounted to the bunker.

[​IMG]

It's taken from this. It was the Pantherturm in use by the Germans in WW2 when they had more turrets than chassis available, so they put them on bunkers and had the loading mechanism down in the bunker.

10. Avatarix

But that box! It looks completly out of place, like the tank got suddenly shot down by artilllery projectile filled with magic squared gel-beton or something.
    [​IMG]
    Another fine example of tank usage with terrain by Finland (njet, molotoff!)

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

A bit of trimming and texture work and it'll be beautiful.

12. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

The boxes were thrown in just to get them in place.

D.D.D. Destroyer likes this.
  13. Ranger

Ranger Member

Is this the final shape of the trenches? I mean the terrain, it's blocky. Will you remake them with displacements?

14. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I will try to smooth it a bit, but trenches were generally blocky.

15. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I hate how dark it is. I have to like put my face infront of the screen to see anything.
    I absolutely hate how shitty this map plays in the dark.

Put it in daylight and it would be atleast 30 times more pleasant to play

16. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I did make it lighter. Next version will show that.

17. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

I personally like it at night... We don't have enough darker maps...

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

This is for a reason, your average player doesn't deal well with the limited visibility, and Empires players are no different.

19. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

That's what I like. It's a new spin on things, it requires you to play differently. More unknowns. Being shot at long range just because that pixel is a different colour is no fun for me.

20. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

The annoying thing about darker maps though is it doesn't really prevent someone from setting their gamma and contrast settings way up so they basically have nightvision goggles on all the time. It's like the deal with grass on maps, I love big old bushes and grasses to hide in but they disappear or can be disabled so the effect you want doesn't really happen.:(

I'm not good with night maps on most games but I still really like playing them.