Emp_Trenchassault

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Kidpaler, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Features:
    Extensive Trench Network coupled with bunkers and flooded paths. Forests around the edge and lots of cover from enemies. 5 flags with 2500 tickets. Spawns are all over the place to avoid spawn camping and to allow enemies to get the jump on those assaulting the trenches.

Todo: Emplaced turrets. Make Tank Turrets functionable from inside bunkers to use against assaulting team.

Also, Botrix up the map so bots can be used with it. That way, the bot server can actually have fun maps to play for noobs to learn on.

Playstyle:
    For this map, the playstyle is you have to capture no mans land and push the enemy back to their primary spawn, however after capping the primary spawn the enemy still has the ability to fight back. This map works similar to conquest, though it is linear and you have to capture the flag before the flag you want to cap before you can actually capture it.

LMG will be useful here. I will be trying my hardest to give machine gunners cover to have this gun, for once, be usable and prevent the enemy from advancing. In normal trench warfare, there would be plenty of cover and LMG's would be useful so I am trying to mimic that here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notes: This map changes maps successfully so I can continue on with it. I did an A1 playtest and I noticed quite a few glitches so I won't put it up quite yet. I will be fixing the terrain glitches (where you get stuck in the terrain) and sewing up the terrain so it looks more aesthetically pleasing along with removing more trees and preventing Infantry from running up the sides of the trenches. Otherwise, I hope people will like this map, It'll hopefully be a change from the standard Infantry maps.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

wow, nice - although the white fog color looks fugly.

3. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Trying to figure it out right now. Coloring the fog doesn't seem to be working...

4. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Rekt yer ass yesterday

5. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I have A2 done now, redone a lot of the trenches, redid all the terrain, added a lot more craters, removed a lot of the trees to make the trenches feel more deadly if you are up top and no mans land even more deadly, changed color of fog, more rain, more thunder and lightning, and darker as well but not too dark. Will be trying to Botrix it up here in an attempt to get it on the bot server.

Thexa4 likes this.
  6. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

So, here's what happened for today:

Fixed the DL problem so people can DL the textures as well as adding a lot more and redoing displacements completely. Tomorrow I will make lights in the trenches tide to generators, and make it so you can shoot out the spot lights and destroy generators to make the trenches darker. Also happy to say that FPS is NOT a problem on this map! Here are some screenshots for people to see

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd like to put out a call for help. I sent the map off to LordDz for the tank turret bunkers and the cap's not deducting for you just holding it, however I still need help.

IF ANYONE can make me some Barbed Wire & Sandbags (Barbed wire is needed much more than sandbags), I would LOVE you and I can throw this into finalization. I need barbed wire desperately to prevent infantry from climbing up the sides of the trenches to the up top area because you are only suppose to be able to get up there if you move along the bridges. Please please please. I really need it, it can be basic (so long as its slightly textured), but I really REALLY need it to finish this map.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  7. flasche

try color 042065079 () or 027047067 () for the fog. both are taken from the skybox in the image above.

8. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Thanks and will do. Hopefully I can hold a full scale playtest sometime today or at least soon to get the feel of it. Small play tests of 3v3 seemed ALRIGHT but I'm eager for more. Couple this with bots and I think it will be a map that "feels" more packed than it is.

Can I do temporary barbed wire with cables and wire in Hammer? I just thought of that...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  9. Thexa4

Thexa4 Developer Staff Member Moderator

You could make it electrical? That would probably fit with the design of the cables.

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Yes and yes, although it'll be a quite a bit of work to make it look any good. Functionality on the other hand is fairly simple.

11. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Yea I could do that, the only problem with that though is I plan on making the generators destructible to give a "lights out" feel for cover while in the trenches and then it would turn off the power to the cables and allow people to walk up there again.

If someone doesn't come through with a Barbed wire model, which apparently Insanity might be making one for me this weekend, then I will probably go with electrical wires or just barbed wire cables.

12. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

So, we did a playtest.

Lots of people getting stuck. I think people had fun though despite the stuckness, though the stuckness will be fixed.

13. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I feel like no cameras would be a good idea because the map is so small, feels odd to basically know where the whole enemy team is the entire time. I feel like sneaking on the sidelines should be encourages, cameras kinda don't allow that much.

Then again I can't see much in the pitch blackness(I swear people have their gamma settings to high) so I kinda need the aim assist:(

14. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Will do. I will try to lighten it up a bit... maybe a mid day storm instead of a night time storm would be best.

15. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Well I like the night time rain aesthetic. For me at least it's more in the trenches, like below the ground level the light hits some invisible barrier or something so I can't see much. I always had trouble with dark places though, so I think it's more on my end and my super low brightness/gamma settings.

16. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I was going to light up all of the trenches with lights on the side, I wonder if that would help.

17. Avatarix

Why do both sides have epic technologies of building tanks in seconds yet they still use wood for reinforcing the trenches?
    It's not Great War anymore

18. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Wood is the most common material. It's much harder to get steel reinforcements made for a trench than it is to just go chop down a tree real quick and use the timer from that to hold up the trench walls.

19. flasche

because its the only available props :P

20. Avatarix

The Brenodi which actually developed NANOmachines don't need the steel itself because they can make it on their own or something.
    But if you want to make it out of wood then pls, remove the trees. How did they made the wood out of nothing? Or why isn't the forest mowed down by artillery nor CAS?
    Also some kind of fast-forming cement for entrenching would be cool for that faction (or metal pipes/netting for Jekotians)
    I just play Verdun a lot and it just strikes me that the level of technological advancement in this world is just too great for wood trenches to make sense.