emp_traders

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Coffeeburrito, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Well its good, for a concept. I hope the release will be (much) more detailed:)

2. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

Stuff I'm working on for the next release
    - making NE and SE more usable
    - make it harder to get behind BE's main base
    - clearing area around NF base to make it harder to turtle
    - more infantry cover
    - underground routes for infantry

3. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

oh my gawd! no not infantry tunnels

finally played the map, its ninja heaven, the whole water access way that allows infantry to get anyway while vehicles are severly limited, not even any chokepoints by which to limit the enemy movement. I found the map was just a big run around base ninja game with very little head to head fighting, he who has the most nade boats shall win.

there wasnt a single point on the map that 1 team was able to occupy the entire game.

there are simply too many ways around everything with mad cover everywhere. open maps with nothing(dustorm) are far easier to cover than the alleyways of this map. I just feel like you made TOO much access around the whole map.

another problem I had was limited places to build a full base(ie VF) the enemy team was able to stop us from building in these certain sections and even though they didnt control most of the map we still couldnt do anything cause we couldnt place a VF anywhere even though we had tons of res. We had several barracks but thats just slow death against the vehicle onslaught.

4. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I like maps that dont give a team the chance to bunker and wait for nukes.

But srsly, rule one of empire mapping: Infantry tunnels for comm maps are fail

5. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

I had a silly idea I wanted to try out by making a single tunnel from the NE to the SE, but shortening it through the use of a portal. I guess that idea will stay in the garbage next to rooftop access :P

I understand that protecting anything outside of main can get rather tedious, but I figure it just requires new strategies. I'd be interested in watching a match where one commander researches L3 turrets and covers the whole city with them. I'd also be interested in somebody trying to rush nuke research. Is it even possible to get nukes before the game ends?

I suppose the map is trying to cater to people who like a little more action up front, and finish up before people start whining that the map hasn't ended yet.

I'll probably bump the 100 tickets up to 150-200 by popular request though

6. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

we played the map several times yesterday and had considered lvl3's to stop the ninjaing. But we all came to the conclusion it is a waste of time money and manpower since there is just too many places to cover they will get through regaurdless of having lvl3's scattered around the map, the height variations assist with this. Even if we did have a lvl 3 covering an area there are enough street siding and stairs around the place to give them perfect cover for taking out the lvl 3 at leisure.

i actually havnt had any games come down to tickets yet, and very few even get mediums let alone mediums with weapons. It usually goes something like both sides having half the map, then one engineer on either side sneaks into the opposing sides main and ninja's it by himself and builds a base followed shortly by attacking the enemys last barracks from both sides.

7. Z100000M

how about making the water slightly toxic, so people wont swim cross whole map

8. Wilson

Wilson Member

I hate it when a engineer build a turret ontop of the bridge in the middle of the map and i have to run across half the mapp to kill the engi that keeps repairing his turret.
    There are no obious chokepoints on the map which makes it harder to advance aswells as defend. Due to the number of trees and canals there isn't to much space for placing buildings.

9. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Yeah and thats exactly why i like it

10. Z100000M

Place few covers/obstacles/piles of random shit in secondary routes so vehicles can't pass so quicly and you will make chokepoints at "clear routes". or perhaps, buildable roadblocks?

11. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

AWESOME! Downloading...
    EDIT: A really cool map! Keeps people on their toes about enemies from all directions, and about the best vehicle map I've ever seen.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  12. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

New version! (link on first post updated)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xzzlqhdekjn/emp_traders_a6.rar

Only a few changes, but it took so long because I've been extremely busy with university. Still no detailed buildings, but it should be more balanced. Infantry should also have some fun with buildable roadblocks.

13. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

woot. will get it up on the noob svr.

14. Z100000M

keep improving it CB :)

15. FN198

FN198 Member

Just played it today on E4A. I like this map a lot. One problem is that the paths through the buildings arent very legible in the minimap.

16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Bear in mind that we have A4, I haven't updated it to A6 yet, I'll do it tonight.

17. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

I didn't think there were any...? Unless you mean normal streets, and not actually THROUGH buildings. I worked extra hard to include trees, actual water, and shadows in the new minimap. Would it be better without shadows?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  18. Omneh

Omneh Member

I think he means the alleyways between some of the buildings.

19. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

I updated the Current List Of Playable Maps with this and homeland.
    Now I just need to see what you have done in version 6. Did you fix the horrible vvis?

Also, please give me some map description I can use for the maps list.

20. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

It's running on nachos.