Emp_Tournament_Island

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by serpent, Jul 16, 2006.

1. serpent

serpent Member

ive been here since battlefield 1942 but have made numerous accounts due to me forgetting the login name & passwords

this is my second map idea for the hl2 version of empires, and i plan to pull through with this one

[​IMG]

im not to sure about the tunnel system, but i might use the models of the tunnels that where going to be placed in the actual game as a buildable object

also i think this image speaks for itself
    [​IMG]

feel free to place any suggestions for the map :)

2. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Here's a small tip alt+printscrn takes picture only from the active window so your whole taskbar doesn't come in the picture at all. ;)

And you can't use models in the tunnels as the hull of the map must be closed for BSP to work(without leaks). :) I'm suggesting that you'll make the tunnels with brushes and make sort of cave-in-type of thing at all ends and tie them all to same entity.

To me this seems like a fun map to play if the scale gives enough room for the vehicles to manouver. Otherwise the tunnels could become quite crowded.

3. serpent

serpent Member

the tunnels will be infantry only
    and for the model tunnel i planned to enclose it with some brushes
    but i think it would just be easier to make a brush tunnel due to the fact that the tunnel part with the ladder does not compleatly reach the top

4. serpent

serpent Member

actually i dunno, what would people rather, infantry or vehicle tunnels?

5. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Is it just me, or is there giant blimp in the second picture. Are you trying to say that this mod should have blimps, and you're making a blimp level?

6. serpent

serpent Member

wow theres a blimp, how did that get there :p
    i was just going to have it as a tracktrain and float around the map, but i might just get rid of it, to many brush errors with it

7. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Where do the people go in that blimb, do they sit ontop of it?

8. serpent

serpent Member

the blimp was just going to circle the map in the air. but i can allow for players to hop in it i can make a small compartment underneth it like most do

9. serpent

serpent Member

okay im hoping to have a playable version out by 2morrow
    atm im working on the tunnels, i need to make the entrances larger
    so it can accomadate the NF jeeps

(im only planning for the tunnels to have jeeps & soldiers, nothing else)

the entrance to the tunnels is by elevators

also i need to find a place where you can hop into the blimp, im thinking of having it a secret in the map :D

anyway it should be released 2morrow, then i can work on better visuals, because atm it looks kinda bland

so im thinking of decals & islands in the water etc

10. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

As long as the blimp doesn't stop anywhere for too long, I don't think it will affect gameplay and as long as it doesn't lag, it will be an enjoyable sight for everyone :D

I like this map, it has a very classic RTS feel, and there is so much in it as well! I love lots of little things like buildable ramps, bridges, and bunkers! Also, I'm interested to see how the tunnel system will work, but initially I thought they were just roads, and I think that's good enough...

11. Carrigage

Carrigage Member

This would be an awesome map!
    And being able to get onto that Blimb would probably make players just wanna go there 'cause its fun to be there...
    Seeing as we lack aircrafts, I think people would love to be above everyone else...

I can imagine everyone fighting over who's gonna ride it :P

(NF Guy): Its ours!!
    (BE Guy): Wrong, we got better guns, its ours
    (NF Guy): I got pwnd :(

12. serpent

serpent Member

sorry folks, cant release it today, im having problems with compiling it
    this will also give me more time to fix up the blimp

sorry for the delay

13. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

No big deal, we can wait for a better map :D
    In fact, if you completely worked on it, tested it, and worked out bugs THEN let it loose, but it took another 2 weeks, I wouldn't mind.

More fun for me on the Map Test server :)

14. Darg

Darg Member

Have you thought of modelling the blimp seperately and compiling it in as a model? It would look a lot better then it does in the top screenshot.

15. olla

olla Member

Cool layout! just one question:
    there is a lot of water around these islands but the shore looks pretty steep. What happens it you fall into the water? are there ladders to get out again?

16. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

or piranans to eat you?

17. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Make the blimp a secret area...

-Sheepe

18. Slasher

Slasher Member

Select all the brushes on the blimp, click “Create Prefab” save the new .vmf as blimp, sent that .vmf to me and I will turn it into a model. I can import .vmf into my modeling program and make a model out of it and you will only send me the blimp not the whole map.

19. serpent

serpent Member

hey guys,

im sorry for the lack of updates but to be honest i havent been working on the map, the only time i can work on it is the weekends now that i have started my full time tafe coarse again

i think the best bet would be a prefab for the blimp, as i cannot model
    unless anyone wants to create a model of a blimp, but i think thats to much effort

as for falling in the water, each metal island has some sort of building with pipes leading from it into the water, they are ladders to which you can climb up on
    but im thinking of implementing leeches so that if you go out to deep you will be killed

my editor still is not compiling properly, but i havent had a chance to try to fix it, worse case scenario, i will try to just release the vmf or i might get someone else here on the forums to compile it.

ill definatly be working on it this weekend

till then.