emp_territory_b2

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by BumGravy, Aug 19, 2008.

1. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Beta 2 of my map emp_territory.

Changelog:
    *Moved start bases so the teams start with NF in middle West, BE in middle East. There is not enough room to build full base at the starting locations so both teams are forced to expand into other areas.
    *All refineries now work as they should.
    *Fixed the floating props, all trees and rocks should now be on the ground and not hovering. Added more trees and rocks in some areas.
    *Fixed the boundary clipping, it is now no longer possible to get outside the map.
    *You can no longer place buildings on the inaccessable raised road into the city.
    *Added a player kill brush underneath the map, to combat the Empires issue of players sometimes reviving underneath the map. Note this is not an issue with this map specifically, I havent seen it happen yet but it's best to be safe.
    *Tweaked the terrain displacements and alpha painting.
    *Tweaked lighting and fog.
    *Tweaked the 3d skybox to blend with the map better, there are still some minor texture and shadow issues but hopefully nothing major or really noticeable.
    *Changed the 2d skybox to a nice Empires overcast one that I find pretty.

Known issues:
    * The BE barracks faces the wrong way, sorry :(
    *Minor texture/shadow issues where the skybox meets the map
    *The minimap isn't as good quality as the last version but it works perfectly fine, I'll make a high quality version for the final release.
    *The city is a lie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to Trickster for compiling my cubemaps and taking these lovely pictures, also thanks to Zeke, Omni, sodaen, Drag and Simon for giving me loads of advice on the layout and balance.

Download Beta 2 here

The map is currently runing on Napalms Funhouse server, so come and have a game and please leave comments and feedback below :)

2. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

going on the MAD server, thx for the update, will feedback.

3. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Up on Nachos, Played a 12 v 12

Only two complaint there, was that wasn't enough resources, pretty much did a turret war. Tanks didn't help much. And it was a very small map. Personally thought it played well.

Need to put vehicle blocks around the map where you have play clips, one dude got his jeep stuck up on top of the bridge.

Other than that, Nice job. Can't wait till you finish Plunge.

4. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

I saw the end of that match. NF failed to use something other than vehicles to combat the turrets, which counter-acted their refinery lead. They could have used engineer grenades or a grenadier to take out the long row of turrets (quite literally a row), but instead they just kept throwing vehicles at them, wasting resources. They ended up losing when BE saved up enough money for a 3 man tank rush to the enemy comm.

5. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Hmm I have used func_vehicleclips as well as player clips round the entire map incluiding the bridge, pics would help if you get vehicles stuck anywhere, but it seemed to work ok when i quickly tested it.

Anyone else feel theres not enough resources? Should I add more nodes or perhaps turn the nodes on the road into x2?

Tried to spec a game on this yesterday on Napalms funhouse, Sonecha and Trickster were comms. They both rushed the south refinery and put down barracks, sonecha killed trickster when they were building and the cv died in a couple of mins.

Everyone called for a restart, so we ran the map again. Unfortunately the EXACT SAME thing happened with the game being over in under 2 mins. SO yeah any feedback on how this plays would be greatly appreciated, as whenever I seem to spec it it turns into a commwar or a griefer ends tha map :/

6. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Your map is very open, so comm rushes are quite normal there.
    If they dont commrush one team drops a VF nad kills the enemy
    cv with the first vehicles.

7. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Ok here is your minimap with better resolution.
    Ive guessed where the water is... cause as
    you know you cant see it on the screenshots.

You should centre your map in hammer
    or else you have to adjust it slowly with the
    cordinates...

The image is 1024x1024

http://www.file-upload.net/download-1055946/territory.tga.html

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  8. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

9. Gnar

Gnar Member

When this map first came on the server, it looked very promising. new map started tog et tired of always playing the same ones in rotation. we started to gun it for a ref in north, and made it as comm was done building ref, so he placed racks to build. we get that up, then we run for the middle one. which was a HORRIBLE idea. its the meeting spot, and its impossible to defend. a really pointless ref is there, all grenades sink into the hole, and hit the ref. its so easy to ambush when right next to it, the enemy has a racks up over the hill, so we all gotta run there. every guy charging us from that spot, we just could not hold it. we fell back to the ref, and comm was yelling everyword i could try to render in my head while getting super ambushed by NF. but i think because its on the nf side of the mountain. BE can not hold it for long. I felt the map was way way too open. made for vehicles and snipers and grenadiers. nobody was a engine, becasue you simply could not get close enough to get a kil. setting up anything was instantly bombarded with grenadier fire, and then scouts sniping you preventing it from being repaired. i was engine untial i figured this out. so i switched to gren, still got killed by snipes, but i know i couldnt really counter snipe. too much room for me to look. i could stay gren and hit the buildings while being surounded by a rock foration hoping hey dont have any riflemen coming tog et me =P.

As for the look of this map, its AWESOME. the skybox really makes me want to go there, and maybe you could pull a team fortress thing where there are more stages to a map. the looks are really really good. just needs less open spaces for the less ranged units.

Once we got vehicles the map evened up a bit. but if your BE you better fucking protect that middle ref liek crazy, they will go for that one.

BumGravy your work is impressive, i look forward to another map of yours =D its some damn good quality.

10. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

i look forward to your typo corrections.....holy crap that was hard to read.

a little effort next time, please.

11. Gnar

Gnar Member

='( o noes i really did mess up alot

12. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

let that be a lesson, dont post drunk.

13. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

there went all my fun...

14. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i have to agree with the previous posters ...

the center of the map is way too open. dunno what u can do about that, maybe put some walls next to the towers and/or add some craters?

a tunnel from one tower to the other could be nice too ...

15. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

use the towers to operate a big ass door.... Blight created one for a map he tossed to me, i'll see about taking some screen shots if you are interested

16. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

I was thinking about adding huge advertising billboards to the middle, spaced out along the road. This would add large amoutns of cover without actually taking up much building space, and I could make up some humorous adverts to go on them.

Another idea would be to extend the water to a river that runs parallel to the road, perhaps going under the road and crossing to the other side so I could put a wee bridge in. (I like bridges).

I think the general consensus is - make the middle a bit thinner, and make the east and west lanes a bit wider. I think the side lanes might be wide enough already so I think I will either implement the above ideas (river, billboards) or perhaps just tighten up the middle and make the map tectanlge rather than square.

What do you guys reckon? And do you think there is enough res on the map, perhaps I should make the middle refs x2? Oh thanks for the comments and feedback so far.

17. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Put the Krenzyte picture on the Billboards.

18. Lis

Lis Member

Does this map run in 2.2?