Emp_Slaughtered 2.21 Feedback Thread.

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Omneh, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

No I was talking about Mayama

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  2. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

It lighting is perfect. Dont touch it. Think of all the sneeking you can do.

3. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Hint brushes plz

4. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

it's all about optimizing 2.2 guys, it uses the latest directx and is a resource hog for the new gfx unless u add some launch params. check the wiki or tech support for help with that.

on first install (testing phases) i was getting 5-10 fps just by looking at any unbuilt building/turret etc. changed a few settings (directx level expecially) and its back up to 35-50 fps with plyrs fighting.

also note, my pc is about 3-4 yrs old.

5. arklansman

arklansman Member

OB uses DirectX 9, just like Ep1.

6. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

well then its something else, sry i didnt bother reading about the OB changes as i consider it insignificant unless it gives us great leaps forward (yet to see)

i assumed any new OB games/mods would run on the highest directx release with all the new 'features' enabled. Hell i wont even use HDR, its just stupid to create something like that and allow ppl to disable it. Either ignore the idea or make it permanent, imo.

/end rant

7. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

again: I won't change my graphics settings just for a single map. Okay its not too bad it runs constantly over 30 fps on all max 1280x1024, still compared to kutm this is bad, chris made a good looking map with about avg 60 fps. So it isn't a excuse.

8. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

What's the point of the middle thing?

9. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I never have low fps on omnehs slaughter
    but I have low fps on kutm when im looking
    to the middle

10. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Making every idiot on your team camp there

11. Omneh

Omneh Member

The map IS poorly optimised, thats the root cause of the lag issue, not inherant problems with the OB engine itself.

Cyber, I intended the middle to be a infantry only area, with a cappable flag that outputs all the resources of a normal refinery. I hoped this would alleiviate stalemates, and to some extent, it has worked. However, BE is still at a slight disadvantage while capping it, so I may want to look into restructuring the area around the S-Bend and Bridge to bring it back on even terms with NF.

It needs work. I never said this should be the version that should be in 2.21, far from it.

12. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

It`s preeeetty.

13. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

You can fix stalemates by making the bridge solid.
    This will force people to fight on the bridge. There is no reason the bridge should be destroyed unless you plan to turtle.

14. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

Quadcore 2.45GHz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD 4870. It doesn't suck, and the map doesn't suck, but it's still under testing because of these problems I GUESS.

Also, every other map has almost constant 85 fps with vsync in almost every situation, except for over 40 player servers.

Hell, even this map has constant 85 in the mainbase, but it drops to 19 when at the bridge for some reason.

15. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I have a stacked comp too, its more about the settings you play on, high-end settings will kill higher end cards because people on lower comps won't have these settings turned on.

16. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I use it on a dualcore amd4600+ 1GB RAM and a Nvidia 7600 here.
    I have 40+ fps
    People turn your goddam anti alaising down to 4x... 8 or 16 is not worth
    it on monitors with big resolutions.

17. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

I'm not changing setting for a map that I've only played once, and it was only a testing session. If all maps were like that one, I'd change the settings then.

Source engine has been very cpu-friendly so far.. But even games like Far Cry 2, Fallout 3 and many other new games work better than that map on Source engine. And source ain't half as good looking in general.

Don't get me wrong, I can actually _play_ on this map unlike one of my friends. He couldn't climb up ladders at the middle because his computer couldn't handle it. Having 10 fps really makes your playing a bit difficult and having to lower settings to the minimum just to play one map doesn't really make sense.

But to the positive feedback:
    The map looks and feels very good. It isn't bright like many maps.
    It definately looks more updated to the OB-engine and suits Empires well.
    Now, it just has to be optimized, so not only those who have high-end computer can play it.

18. gezor

gezor Member

remove the platform in middle? this would increase fps and the noobs would have nothing to camp. its useless anyway.

19. Silk

Silk Mapper

Just played it today. I haven't read any post here but i'll post my suggestions:

- Overal better optimization (i seem to remember reading that this is planned anyway)
    - Less dark (couldn't see half of the enemy infantry when facing SE)
    - Decrease ground texture map scale (at least 30%, cause every pixel is really huge atm)
    - ... what else was there ...

I'm not sure about the water building so i can't say if it's good or bad, or how it could be improved.

Probably just a stupid idea, but i think it could be pretty interesting:

With the extra resources from the flags, even MORE tanks will be fighting in the east. People will kill me for suggesting it but have you ever thought about making the bridge solid? Of course some other changes would be necessary like cover for the NF east side area or the buildings there would be destroyed from the bridge. The water building could be part of a platform connecting the east NF side and the bridge.
    In fact why have a bridge, make it a bigger complex connecting all 3 landsides, big enough for vehicles to pass. The building itself could very well offer cover for the east area if necessary.

I just think it's interesting cause the bridge always bothered me. Usually everyone goes east, while a few engineers build turrets to cover the bridge. I like chaos, but when there's 18 tanks in one place the map tends to lag, and it's just not that fun.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  20. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

Lol, if its big enough to connect all sides, why not just fill in the lake?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.