emp_scorchedsnow

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by kandzia, Dec 2, 2006.

1. kandzia

kandzia Member

emp_scorchedsnow

A map In the works...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All screens are from the middle area of the map.

[​IMG]

The layout if you can work it out.

More can be found here:

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fug4life@btinternet.com/my_photos

I know maps with middle areas can be a bit controversial, so I'm trying to make the whole map rich in resources and as versatile as possible so the tide can be turned no matter what the resulting senario. It all depends on the teams tbh. However I believe the layout will make the game difficult to end quickly, and it will maximise the chances for the losing team to have the ability to fight back. Basically the middle can be the winning factor, although If the rest of the map is neglected the team holding the middle may find they are surrounded and possibly with less of an income than the other team.

I'm fairly noob to mapping but I'm hoping to finish this one...
    (famous last words) :)
    I'd say the map is around 40-50% complete but who knows?
    I will keep you updated with more details, comments, screens and maybe a senario soon.

Kandzia aka fug4life

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  2. kandzia

kandzia Member

A few more...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kandzia aka fug4life

3. Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz)

Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz) Member

Add shadow, add fog and it could work out.
    Then add hills.

4. kandzia

kandzia Member

last one. ;)
    [​IMG]

kandzia aka fug4life

5. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

FULLBRIGHT! >:| Add a light_enviorment, and you might have something there.

6. Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz)

Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz) Member

Well he will need the fog.
    Since he has not learned the power of vis leaves this thing will lag like... Weaser said I believe, "It will lag like a snail in heat."
    You will need fog or fix vis leafs witch is impassable at your stage.

7. kandzia

kandzia Member

fog is in but at a distance at the mo, hills are in, shadows and stuff still toying with. damn your fast :)

8. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

That'll look awesome once it's lit properly. Good luck on finishing it!

9. kandzia

kandzia Member

Yur, I have a mountain to climb in terms of optimization. still finsihing layout before I go Hintbrush crazy!

10. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I suggest that you make everything even (Height wise) if anything make the middle high ground, because I see horrible arty spam from the base into the lower ground...

(Instead of rocks blocking of the middle, why not make it full fledged walls?, making it some sort of a fort/military instilation?)

Other then that it seems like there will be some intense urban combat going on there :D

11. kandzia

kandzia Member

there is always a considerable flat area before each change in level height so In terms of arty the team who is defending their base or the middle or corner areas of the map should be able to rain down arty on their attackers. as attackers will always have to shoot up the height from down below and defenders will always shoot down from up high. Arty by itself won't be enough to take that area. In theory.
    their is a shoot through fence surrounding middle area just behind the rocks. so tanks and infantry will have to filter through the gates to get in. but the resnodes in the corners and any infantry and constructed buildings/turrets can get hit depending on postion. the rocks in the map only serve to stop vehicles from diving up to a higher level, meaning they must use the ramps/choke points to get up a level.

a couple of screens...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kandzia aka fug4life

12. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Hmm the paved and dirt roads look a bit too clean; if you can send me their textures I can "Dirty them Up" for you so they blend into the snow, and have a bit of snow cover on them, to blend them in with the rest of the snow...

I see, you are right, The map looks like its going to be a very nice one indeed :D

13. kandzia

kandzia Member

the road is a blended texture that I haven't blended yet. and the snow flat areas will be as well. the flat white area's around the map are currently un-edited displacements because of layout changes yet to be made. I'm planning on adding a few lumps and bumps around buildings and in the open areas. I want to add alot of trenches and craters in the open areas. but haven't decided just how they will be just yet. the track is made of overlays some of which need fine adjusting at brush edges, the track will also be lumpy and bumpy.

I would be very happy and grateful for any custom textures you could do to help me make the trenches and craters or just 'dirtyup' the snow in general!
    I'm using nature/snowfloor002a for the floor. if you can work around that so I can have some blended combinations for trenches and craters. I was thinking of adding some low level water/muddy brown pools/plains between and in some of the trenches. I used alot of overlays just to get the track but maybe those and decals can help with some details.

14. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

needs pavements and some volume to the ground. Too flat and generic.

Needs to look more natural, some lighting and shadow and it should be a good map :)

15. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Yea like Dee said it doesnt need to be compleatly flat. Add a little bit up ups and downs maybe a few hills. Not even parking losts are that flat lol.;) I like the look you have going on. I get a Stalingrad type of feel from it. One complain though. WTF is with the columns in the BE base? The top part is find but thebottom part is a architects nightmare. Instead of having it curve in at the base have it drop strait to the floor after angling out. Normaly all the fancy stuff is on the top and a simple shape change, such a a small flair, before going into the floor or base. Example below. Ok done sounding like my teacher.:p
    [​IMG]

16. kandzia

kandzia Member

Thanks guys, all comments are appreciated.

The floors still haven't really been touched in terms of adding lumps and bumps They are currently un-edited displacements that are waiting to be manipulated. I was kind of leaving until I had everything building wise in place, but yes I agree. Pavements would give form to the middle area I was kind of hoping to have snow lumps and bumps around the buildings too. I will change colummns at some point :) lighting, shadow, and optimization all to do.

kandzia aka fug4life

17. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Great! Then this is definetly on the way to be great map.:cool:

18. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Just looking through the mapping section is making me want to go work on my map. Sadly, my hammer isn't working properly, (again).

"Flower you Valve for making hammer so frustrating!!"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2006