emp_provinggrounds

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by John Shandy`, Jun 15, 2009.

1. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

just a spawn closer, but not necessarily in the middle, maybe like half way up between middle and base.

2. bugger

bugger Member

I like it how it is because of the res flags. No one is turtling at their respective bases and waiting for nuke heavies. Because they have to to get the extra res to have an advantage.

3. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I would actually like to see some buildable ramps in the side passages and entrances. Right now, it is easy to rush.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

changelist for b3:

.) ill placed something ontop the 2 flag-bunkers that prevents placements of buildings that leak through the floor (= ill try to still let you build turrets there). i'm not entirely sure what it will be, the area there is relatively large, so props are no real solution. there will enough room left to place raxes, they just will be closer to the tunnel exits.

.) ill leave the flags like they are for the moment. basically because im clueless how to give them more tactical value when you still can construct raxes ontop (so a spawn is not necessary)

.) ill put ramps into the tunnels, so you can get out of you base at any time to flank an attacking force. the ramps will be retractable on button press. the buttons will be located in a new room in the infantry passage that leads from the base area to the tunnels. the idea is to have people leave their tanks to open a vulnerable (2nd) attack route into the base.

.) ill place some props in the infantry areas to allow better advancement. ill try to hold back to not create a lagfest. in a discussion on irc we noticed that some crate props have like 1000+ polies, i maybe replace them with detail-brushes, means they wont look good, but it should be a better solution fps wise, we'll see :confused:

.) ill place some small steps to make it easier to shoot down from the battlements, or redo all that small walls (did noone notice they are a tad to high? ^^)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  5. flasche

6. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

What's wrong with where they are now?

7. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Imo make the bases a bit smaller and make mid a bit bigger and more room. Its going to be way too easy too wall up and turret block those little passages in mid.

8. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Had one game at provinggrounds were we lost our main base. Although we had most of the map, both flags and many resources we had no chance, because there is no other place to build a vf.
    So currently the best strategy on provingground is to send the whole team to the enemy base and ignore all the refineries and flags.
    If this shouldn't be the best strategy then some place in middle for a vf would be great.

9. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Oh also dunno if you did this but you should tie the flags to spawn res nodes so they scale with resources as well...

10. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

I +1 that, also yeah move some stuff around so you can fit at least a barracks and VF in center, dosn't have to big and doesn't have to be one spot, just center area.

The res nodes... The two on top bring them into the main base, possibly there on top of that hump next to the barracks so they are easier to defend and not lost easily, it is near to impossible to hold off any attack on those two top ones, you'd have to have some one dedicated to protecting those two in order to keep them.

11. flasche

i agree with most.

still as i scaled the entire map up without considering it would need ot fit the grid again (... yeh i know :P) the best fit is on a 1x1 grid.
    but i have a rebuild - i thought that the scaleing might have been the cause of a completely different problem i came across. its basically only the world brushes without any detail atm. no entitites, no nothing. after i released this one, im going to continue working on the rebuild, but it will take quite a while.

this is the reason why there wont be any huge changes atm. i started to edit it because i couldnt see it half finished.

changes so far:
    two refs are now where the rax where at the screenshot above. as soon as i have figured out how to spawn refs with flags im going to add flags on the battlements and in center - the ones in the bunker stay but will get linked to refs too.

the refs/flags in base will give 0.5 res each, the ones in center 1. that totals to 2 res for the base and 3 res if you hold the entire center.
    every flag is going to spawn something to get you ammoz. the bunker will get a healthcrate too.

the map currently has a total of 4 res per base and 5 per flag (not scaleing ?!)

i think another big problem was that the battlement turns against you once its captured by the enemy. it was almost impossible to get back up there, you had to run across a huge open area. i hope this fixed itself with all that crates.

oh and no, no vf in center, nononono :D

edit:
    hmm no i reconsidered, the base refs will give you 5 in total (1.5 per ref + 1 per flag) the center will give 0.5 for the bunker and 1 for center (= 2) - or it would be turning away from being money 2, which it never intended to be, but thats how its seen.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  12. flasche

howto? :o

13. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

go to the advanced portion of editing a post and there is a nice little feature at the very top that says Delete Message?

I know i used to miss it every fucking time till someone took a screenshot for me.

14. flasche

thank you

and btw:

new ref layout
    2 base refs - 2 each
    2 base flags - 1 each
    3 center flags - 1 - 2 - 1
    2 base flags - 1 each
    2 base refs - 2 each

if you manage to capture the enemies base flags you get 3 res per flag and the ramp in the side tunnels lowers.

every flag spawns a ref now - so the res scale.
    every flag at least spawns one ammobox and health crate

ignore the minimap-picture its still the old one

[​IMG]

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/331067/provinggrounds/emp_provinggrounds_b2_work0001.jpg
    http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/331067/provinggrounds/emp_provinggrounds_b2_work0002.jpg
    http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/331067/provinggrounds/emp_provinggrounds_b2_work0008.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  15. o_O

o_O Member

Nice. I like how you got rid of that little gap between ramps in front of the rax. It was the perfect size for people to get jeeps and stuff stuck in. Where are those base flags exactly?

16. flasche

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  17. o_O

o_O Member

I wondered what those APCs were there for. Definatly going to be interesting to see how that works out. I imagine an APC full of clan tags rolling strait into the enemy base and winning within 3 minutes. Then again, 2 grens could instakill standard APC's so I guess we will see how it turns out. Sounds like fun, in any case :)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  18. flasche

i soooo fucking hope ...

full compile laggin my computer atm btw. (means b3 is done)

if it works out, im going to beautify it (mainly textures and light really need an overhault).

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009