emp_plunge_b1

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by BumGravy, May 24, 2008.

1. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

So this is the PM I received yesterday:
    Not even a please. And apparently this guy has already started work "rebuilding" my map.
    Fuck you.

If I see any of my map reproduced in any form on a server I will petition the server admins to have it removed and urge anyone here to do the same. I have no problem helping people out if they want to know about any kind of techniques I have used, but I find this type of plagiarism pretty disgusting. I am glad to see there are other members here who feel the same way, and I appreciate you sticking up for me when Im not here.

As it happens, Ive been moving so have been without net access for a while. All of the map files are on another PC at the moment so I cant get back to it right away, but if necessary I can rebuild the map from scratch. To be honest I wasnt that bothered about getting another version out, but while Ive been offline it seems a lot more people have gotten into the map and have ben giving more positive feedback, even though the map seems to be bugged almost to the point of being unplayable.

The key part of building the map is the (fairly complicated) entity system I created for getting the bridges to work. Im assuming this DrummerX guy is a fucking idiot so good luck to him on implementing a similar system, obviously without it, the map would be entirely different. But again, on the assumption that he is a fucking idiot, the guy probably wouldnt even be able to bring a map to the compile stage anyway.

So, for my adoring fans, hopefully I will have a shiny new version for you sometime in the near future, and let me know if you see any of my work reproduced or recycled without my consent.

DrummerX, I suggest you learn how to map for yourself before you go "jacking" other peoples hard work. And remember, careful with that carve button. You fucking twat.

2. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Pwwwwwnnnnneeeddddddd

3. petemyster

petemyster Member

pepsi and coke? Almost identical ^^

And yeah i get your point. What im rofl-ing about is drummerX said

I haven't seen that written once. Not that the map isn't good, i just love how people try to suck up to get what they want :p

4. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

as far as i recall, you (bumgravy) released this for playtesting the layout and said it was a w-i-p.

we did playtest it, and there was feedback. Let me know if you need more cause it'd be sweet to see this map finalized once you get settled into your new place.
    : )

5. Lala

Lala Member

map-griefer ??? =))

6. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

hey, it's at least someone trying to do something constructive to help empires. you may find it offensive and obnoxious but he's only trying to help. I'm a mapper for a different game, and within the team at least it's not a problem if we each look at eachothers maps and improve on them, so i can see why it would be VERY easy not to realise there was a problem.

you guys are laying into him like he made his own thread called emp_plunge_b2 and put the exact same map in.

DrummerX, i'm sure you'll find a lot more enthusiasm for your skills if you create a map yourself, despite the dozens of dead maps around. I do agree with the others; this map is only a month old, a bit early to start adjusting it.

7. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Like I said, I have no problem helping people out, and have done on numerous occasions when people have asked for help or advice. Stealing my work and boasting about it is another matter.

How would you feel if you were away and came back to see a week-old comment in your thread saying "I am officially jacking your map"? He did send me a PM to ask, the day AFTER he posted the above comment.

8. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

There's a difference between altering a map of somebody in your dev team, and changing the map of somebody you don't know and have never talked to.

9. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

I never meant any disrespect to the mapper or the map, granted i choose the wrong words and i guess i made seem that i was taking the map as my own.

I'm a mapper for DOD:S, TF2, Unreal Tournament series. i have made a few maps for empires, they just dont' seem to work in the current version of it though.

another point, i never release a map that was made from a decompiled vmf. i was creating a fully new vmf and learning and doing my own displacements, and bumgravy the bridge system you designed is actually someone complicated, gotta give you points for that. although it's been used a few time in DOD:S for other things though.

But since you're back i've deleted the version i have and dropped it. If you do need anything i'm pretty bored till september right now. Still working on a version of dust that i can release for the currrent version of empires

10. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Even if you're not using decompiled maps, releasing or even announcing maps that are remakes or partial remakes of other maps isn't going to get you any positive reactions.

11. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

i'm guessing this is frowned apon here, it's not a big issue in dod:s. again i'm sorry for causing any disrespect to anyone here

12. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Then DoD: S is the exception to the rest of the internet.

13. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

empires is a much smaller community, but i'm sure in DoD you will one day cross the wrong mapper too, and find he reacts the same way.

14. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

I said that basic thing in chat to him.

Seriously needs fixing, but could be my new favorite. I actually don't care in any way about the bridge destruction. I would almost suggest taking it out. What I like is the map layout for game flow.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  15. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

lol screw that keep the destructable bridges

every time i comm that map I have my team kill the bridges and just control the middle, works like a damn charm.

16. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

done yet?

17. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

*cough* bumb *cough*

Done yet?

18. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

yeah its 100% done but it'll take me 3/4 months to type up the readme.

19. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

Perfect! I don't need the readme anyways. ;)

Anyways. It is very sad that this map won't ever get done. I was really looking forward to playing it. Plus, the whole thing with you and drummerX... I agree that map files are personal work, and someone else working on your map is like someone else finishing another artists painting. --But not finishing it now, after being so offended at the misguided attempt to help, is bad form. I could be wrong, maybe you will finish it, but in my experience projects that last 3/4 months usually last a life time.

20. Lala

Lala Member

how many people read the readme? maybe 5 or 6 ? :P Learning by doing....