emp_plunge_b1

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by BumGravy, May 24, 2008.

1. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Verb:

to plunge (third-person singular simple present plunges, present participle plunging, simple past and past participle plunged)

1. To thrust into water, or into any substance that is penetrable; to immerse; to cause to penetrate or enter quickly and forcibly; to thrust; as, to plunge the body into water; to plunge a dagger into the breast. Also used figuratively; as, to plunge a nation into war.
    2. To baptize by immersion.
    3. To entangle; to embarrass; to overcome.
    4. To thrust or cast one's self into water or other fluid; to submerge one's self; to dive, or to rush in; as, he plunged into the river. Also used figuratively; as, to plunge into debt.
    5. To pitch or throw one's self headlong or violently forward, as a horse does.
    6. To bet heavily and with seeming recklessness on a race, or other contest; in an extended sense, to risk large sums in hazardous speculations.

[​IMG]

Empires classic commander style map. The bridges can be destroyed with enough firepower, and rebuilt by repairing the switch that is located inside the towers on your side of the valley. Commanders cannot build inside the tunnels, and neither commanders or engineers can build on the surface of the destroyable bridges. Refineries nodes on yellow nodes give 2 resources per second, the red nodes give 4 per second.

There are still some minor lighting niggles and I think the optimisation could be better, but i need to know if the map can work with this bridge setup, so let me know how the destroyable bridges work out.

The link posted is fps banana, if anyone would like to mirror be my guest and let me know, and i'd be very grateful if this makes it onto a server for testing.
    Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks for downloading.

-BumGravy

Download here!!! (30 mb)

Mirror - emp_plunge_b1
    -Thanks to Lala for hosting

Overview

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  2. Empty

Empty Member

Needs amphibious AFVs.
    :D

[Looks awesome]

3. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

it's up on nachos, but beware you may not be able to spawn!

ok...

1. Stretched textures just look bad
    2. lower the damage on the bridges, they take forever to destory and build back in no time
    3. USE DIFFERENT TREES, sorry but these trees look HORRIBLE! (all agrees)
    4. use different water, that water looks like crap (no offense)
    5. work on your displacements, you've got holes just about everywhere (to many to take snaps of)
    6. again displacements, you've got some that go past the skybox and some that should reach to the skybox
    7. better main base built, or just better starting base defenses
    8. give each side a starting ref (personal pref)
    9. in the valley area, dont' use two different textures on top of each other, the bottom is grey and the top is brown, looks weird
    10. NO INFANTRY SUPPORT, there is no cover what so ever for infantry hidding places etc...
    11. in valley at the middle maybe put a large tower or something to block view from tunnel to tunnel
    12. i like the layout, looks nice overall untill you look down. when looking down ont he map it looks bad
    13. you do have some textures overlapping which make them flash
    14. MINIMAP, dunno if you didn't fix the txt file right or what
    15. maybe create a small network of tunnels between each side maybe? dunno just a thought

For now that is all, hope it helps. Main point if anything is the infantry support. since empires isn't that heavy on vehicles, it's mostly infantry at the beginning. and just overall aesthetic looks

4. Silk

Silk Mapper

Can you perhaps post the minimap (or any overview screenshot) ?
    Those usually convince me most.

Looks good though.

5. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

First post edited with Overview.

The barracks dont work? Oh noes :(
    Working on the textures..Havin problems with bridge health, if I set it too low then you can kill it quickly with melee damage, so I thought id have it high instead to see if it works. Melee and small arms damage seems to do more damage to the bridge than tank cannons, no matter how I set the health.
    Yeah will polish it properly when I know the layout will work. It looks ok just now, I was hoping to work out the gameplay before finishing this kind of thing.
    Ok I can do that
    Yeah I thought this might be a problem, so far its been designedmostly with vehicle fighting in mind, I need to add more cover and buildings for infantry too.
    Why? I might add some rocks for a bit of cover but I wanted to keep it quite open. I dont know how tank fights will work out with this layout, but commanders cant build intunnels so they wont be spammed with turrets.
    Layout first, pretiness later :)
    Didnt spot this one, Ill fix it
    Hmm worked ok for me... Does it not show up at all?
    Was thinking this too, for the moment Il just keep the layout simple.

Thanks for your comments, very useful. Do you know what I could do with the bridges to make it work better? ATM each section has health of 2000 and mimimum damage to hurt is 40.

Other than more infantry cover, how should I change the layout?

6. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

o another, next time when you upload your map, make the folders as well for us lazy server people =P

i'll fix your txt file to show some kind of minimap. it didnt' work for me when i tested it on my comp. so i'll see about putting up like isle or something

for bridge stuff look at isle, i think the settings on them bridges are pretty good.

for layout, let's get a good game of about 10-20 people to see how it works out before commenting on the layout

This looks to be a promising map!

7. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Did you get a minimap image in the zip? It works fine for me :/

Yeah for next release ill make the zip have folders too.

i use different entities for bridges than other empires map, i use normal func_breakable instead of the emp_buildable entity that is normally used in empires, its the only way i can get the bridge to rebuild all at once.

Id like to test the gameplay, hopefully someone will play it on your server.

8. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

hmm looks fun to play, force the km guys to put it on their server ^^

9. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Anyone played this yet? Id like gameplay feedback so I can finish it. Or should I just tweak it a bit and release a new beta?

10. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

i'd say tweak it first

we need to get a group to join a server with it on, so far only nachos and mad has it up

11. @@@@Marcin@@@@

@@@@Marcin@@@@ Developer

I played this map with the MAD clan, really enjoyable but the bridge thing was kinda hard to learn but other then that 4/5

12. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

we'll try and play it today, mini/ open scrim on mad server

i'll try to convince the jipple boys to help playtest it.

feedback forthcoming

13. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Brilliant, hopefully I can get this tweaked and polished and finished soon then.

Yeah I think I need to make a sign or somehing on the bridge towers that explain how it works. Basically though both teams can damage and destroy it, and both teams have access to a button to repair/rebuild it.

Also, should I increase the res from refineries or the ticket limit? Not sure what the best settings for these are.

Thanks for your help testing this guys.

14. Lala

Lala Member

i put it on my server now! :)

Edit: wow 75MB ^^

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  15. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

feedback forthcoming. :) sry

16. Lala

Lala Member

Its a realy great map in in my Mapcycle now! :)

Thx to the Mapper! :|ove:

17. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Km Put This Map On The Server :3 :3 :3

18. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

You can explore under the mountain.

19. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

shh, its a secret :)

20. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Map often crashes people when it starts, at least on the MAD server.