emp_mvalley

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by R_yell, May 13, 2006.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

This problem is caused by the skybox being too low. The comm is appearing above the sky, and so cannot build within the level. This can be fixed by raising the sky higher (although VIS times might increase slightly because of this, you can't be too generous).

2. R_yell

R_yell Member

Then it's pretty easy, today I'll compile rc2. I think this one could be tested in multiplayer matches.

3. Woody

Woody Member

sry about that its changed now, that be my brother fault duno why he put woody for, had to go to work before i could upload it.

[Old] Version 1
    http://www.hlrse.net/empiresvhe/R_yell/emp_mvalley.rar
    [Old] Version 2
    http://www.hlrse.net/empiresvhe/R_yell/emp_mvalley_rc2.rar
    [Old] Version 3
    http://www.hlrse.net/empiresvhe/R_yell/emp_mvalley_rc3.rar
    [Old] Version 4
    http://www.hlrse.net/empiresvhe/R_yell/emp_mvalley_rc4.rar

[Latest One] Version 5
    http://www.hlrse.net/empiresvhe/R_yell/emp_mvalley_rc5.rar

ps. you only need to download the latest version to play this map.

nice map :P

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  4. R_yell

R_yell Member

Here is the second release candidate

http://www.mytempdir.com/722744

main changes:

- river damage only affects vehicles
    - new resource node model
    - people can't fall at dam back part, some brushwork added to make it more credible
    - visibility distance reduced from 16000 to 14000, should improve performance a bit
    - most of the 3dskybox displacements were deleted, only those can't be seen, so none changes except size is half and load times are much better
    - sky height was increased

About water sound bug, it still can happend but I'd like to know if developers can add something like the "stopsound" command after player respawn. That fix that issue, but needs sv_cheats 1 so people can't use it.

Thx very much for all previous reports, hope this version gets your aproval ;)

5. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

WOOT! Second Person to down load it!

-Sheepe

6. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

I was first :) I havn't had a chance to look at it yet though, I have 6 exams tomorrow, for which I have done absolutely no revision at all yet.

7. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

AHHHH!!! The new res node model prevents refs from being built... unless you changed the ground around them, I test 4 res nodes and only the NF's one worked (I was BE)... so PLEASE FIX QUICK! or could I just rename the old file?

-Sheepe

8. R_yell

R_yell Member

Ohh, crap. I think resnode model has no fault, maybe it's emp_resource point, I just lowered some of them because ref were too high.

Ok, if you see another bugs around tell me plz, tomorrow I'll upload a new build.

9. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

10. x3x3non

x3x3non Member

I haven't tried to actually play a match, sofar i have just enjoyed cruising around in the CV, and this map is amazing! I really love it :D.

I vote for it to be included in the official release.

11. Inflames007

Inflames007 Member

HL2 CTF team fixed the water sound bug long ago....

12. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Also, sometimes the comm gets stuck above the map, this is fixed by hopping out and back in again.

-Sheepe

13. R_yell

R_yell Member

About the comm getting stuck, I noticed that no matter how high is sky, the comm get stuck if zoom out is maxed. It happens the same in other maps, that's a bug I think.

Well, the rc3 is comming, I tested every res node so that shouldn't fail this time.

14. Woody

Woody Member

thats good the only res you had to change were the ones on the sides of the map :p

also when u zoom out to much the buildings dissappear which is another bug :S

15. Half-Life_Maniac

Half-Life_Maniac Member

I've been watching this map from the start, and now finally I've been able to give it a try.

I was very impressed by this map. It is very large, but (on my own, anyway) gave me better performance than some of the offical maps. This looks as though it will be a joy to play.

Now for some little things I noted..

-The water looks too blue and in some places I think.

-The buildable ramps up to the dam have had their health set too high or something. I was able to keep on building, and see the progress bar go off the scale and then start over 2 or 3 times before finally getting built.

-What with the broken wall, it looks as if you're trying to keep vehicles out of that area, yet they can very easily just drive up the side of the map and over the wall. Although, with the little building thingie on top of the dam, they can't get very far once up there (good thinking!).

-There's a bit of overlapping ugliness on the radar dishes (pic).

-I'm glad that there's actually sound such as the blowing of the wind, as most maps usually miss this out completely. However, I think maybe there could be a little bit more, animal sounds in particular. I think it really needs some birds or insects.

-Perhaps some more small rocks for cover. While it was probably intended as more of a vehicle map, it looks like infantry stranded out there won't stand any chance at all with no cover.

Other than that, I am very much looking forward to this map!

16. R_yell

R_yell Member

That's interesting, I completely forgot about that possibility. It should be prevented, thx for mentioning it.

I see, that's the LOD model I think, shouldn't be seen so near except models are set on low

I agree, maybe should add more cover on some key points, but there are some paths only for infantry, and river itself is also good cover. Maybe central mesa is very hard for infantry, but that kind of limitations can be good for gameplay too. That's a good place for base building because you can attack enemy base or north from there, but I also can imagine infantry attacking that spot from two sides mainly. Both ways should have more cover to make it possible.

Well, here is rc3, hope nothing is broken. Would be nice if we can test it online.

http://www.mytempdir.com/724740

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  17. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

Simple easy fix put a clip brush where you dont want the comm viewing.. IE copy the top sky brush and bring it down 1unit til its flush with the top skybox brush and then change it to a playerclip...

i did this on slaughtered and it fixed that problem.. the stock maps dont have it either thats why it does that.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  18. R_yell

R_yell Member

Fine then, another bug less :)

19. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

Just wanted to say that I just finished downloading and installing your map. I played around on it and I have to say that it is visually stunning. I would love to help playtest it. The only thing I can complain about is the water being too blue. You should really try and make it more of a dirty brown. All that dirt would certainly make the water nasty.

Keep up the excellent work!!!

20. R_yell

R_yell Member

Ok, maybe actual water is too reflective. I'll see what HL2 water materials can offer. I'll try lost coast cheap water and see what happens, maybe it can be customized a bit.