emp_mvalley

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by R_yell, May 13, 2006.

1. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

It really should, this is one of the more amazing maps I've seen so far :D

2. R_yell

R_yell Member

First I think it should be fully tested to find possible bugs or gameplay issues. Actual version (rc1) has a little problem related to some resource points, the refinery gets a little off the ground when placed. I'm also looking at possible performance issues, hope not but I can tweak it a bit to get better FPS.

3. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

It looks great. I wish I had the increased scale done so we had more room to play with aircraft on it.

4. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

-river drops too fast/ seems too deep
    -res nodes are akward because they are larger than the building
    -too much health for the ramp
    -where are the hand rails for the dam?
    -20fps average (I usually hit 30fps on most maps(with nothing on it))
    -first map I've ever hit 70fps with
    -love the dishes (when I first went up to one, I was like WTF? Why is it so close to the bridge, then I realized that its just huge!
    -Can probably climb slopes with a 3phase jeep

Oh and could someone add this to the cycle for the offical server? PLEASE?

-Sheepe

5. brains

brains Member

okay i've run through the first release canidate and i've noticed some issues:

-falling off the back of the damn into the water is essentially death for the player, but there is a sound issue with empires where if you die underwater, all sound is muffled after you respawn. this problem applies to all of the water. my suggestion is to make the riverbed more shallow and remove the hurt entity from everything. a good compromise is to make the depth of the river enough to stall an engine but no more than that. as for the dam, there should not be an area the player can reach and not be able to get out of, so playerclip the back side completely off.

-the res node geometry is too tall for the models. shortening them by half should work nicely.

-the ramps take far too long to construct. i know you want to limit the rush from the south, but it takes far too much effort to build it considering it's a jeep/infantry only path. if the players want to rush, they'll take the lower central route, or roll in with apcs/lights from the top

-the north area is too sparse and i'm afraid it won't be used much because of the sheer size of the map. perhaps you could add a small amount of geometry to make it more appealing to the player, say, a destroyed bunker with some broken wall segments or a very small blown out town area. just a little something to encourage some base-building.

speaking of which, something i've noticed with this technique of mapping is that the sense of scale seems a bit off as is. it's especially noticeable with canyon-type maps such as this one. when the general scale is reduced, i think this map will look much better because the cliffs will take on a much more dramatic and realistic size in relation to the player view height.

6. R_yell

R_yell Member

it's too late I think, map should be done again with the new scale in mind

river is deep to prevent vehicles crossing it, like a pit. The main purpose is enforcing strategy around wood bridges

I agree about res nodes, think I should use other model

Dam has the minimun detail, sorry, don't try to cross it drunk :D

About ramps health, I wanted to prevent people taking the dam rush inmediately. 800 points is like building a radar+VF+ref+armoury, so there is a risk if one of the teams want to build the ramp before they try to reach other places. The map would have little sense if both teams go to dam in first place.

To improve FPS maybe you want to use "cl_detaildist 0" to hide grass sprites. Would be useful if you can showme a capture with "+showbudget" command in the place with the worst FPS. That would let me know whats the exact cause.

About slopes, I could increase inclination on some of them but maybe it wouldn't a real problem. Jeep jumping, maybe a good idea?

7. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

For the rivers, the problem is that I can usually shoot through them with only a bit of trouble and no damage...

Also your footbridges can barely handle a jeep, though it is fun to try to get it across... Drop the 800pts to something like 400pts... slows people down, but people might still use it...

For the res nodes, its really cool to use that model, but its too large, maybe shrink it?

As for everything else, thanks, I'll check into it.

-Sheepe

8. R_yell

R_yell Member

and there is no possible workaround for the water sound bug? That leaves rivers as decorative element, no tactical usage.

it's not really so much health, think if a team gets 3 or 4 engies the ramp will be up very quickly. I prefer to make it excesive than the opposite.

north area IMO is the core of the map, the 3 res nodes area should be occupied first, and sourrounding areas next to river are essential for the assaulting team if they need to make barracks and such.

9. brains

brains Member

players can swim across it regardless, but it's frustrating as a player to lose a significant amount of health simply because you let your head dip below the surface. and if you leave it deep enough to drown an engine, you get the same blocking effect for the vehicles, forcing control of the bridges to be a key point in controlling the map.

as for most of the other things, the only way to really know how it will play is after a couple large-scale playtests.

10. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Actually it is deep enough to drown a jeep, yet you can still cross it

-Sheepe

11. R_yell

R_yell Member

I think I've found a solution for the river. I want to mantain it as an obstacle for vehicles, that's its purpose. The damage for infantry was a side effect, but it can be avoided just limiting the trigger hurt for physics objects. I did a test and seems only vehicles are affected. I'll noclip the dam side so people can't fall there, and all will be ok I hope.

There will be another trigger hurt at the bottom of the map for security reasons. I noticed that bottom can be reached when leaving a vehicle on non common circunstances, accidentally, so I'll prevent anyone can take adventage of that.

12. the_6th_monkey

the_6th_monkey Member

..hi was trying topost this last night but my internet shut down and so I saved it instead. Well here are my comments:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi I tried the beta, and there are a few problems I had.

Firstly the ramp building is bugged so if you stand inside it you keep on building forever, I got to level 10 skill before I realised this :o

I want to build on the ledges just behind the dam so I can cover it with machine guns yet there is clip up there blocking that highly tactical position. Isay remove the clip so people can build turrets or snipe from there

The water is poisonous which I find pretty irritating(even though this isn't a bug), what if infantry want to swim though or dive into it for cover.

Finally and probably the most severe bug is the fact that the building is completely screwed on this map. Both times I attempted it my view went through the sky even when I went to the lower level or the map with my com vehicle

13. R_yell

R_yell Member

hope this and the bar bug can be fixed, if devs read this

ok, I'll reduce the clip area

yes, that was fixed already

I had no problems to build, what is causing that?

Thx for the input :)

14. the_6th_monkey

the_6th_monkey Member

I have no idea to be honest, I just turn build view on and it trys to build above where the ground is buts its all red and the preview buildings look upside down :)
    I might of been near the side of the map when the bug happened

Also why not make it so there is a big metal gate instead of magical appaering ramp, that your must open with engineers, would be more realistic and if implemented properly could be pretty cool hehe

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  15. Hattemaker

Hattemaker Member

I had the same problem.

16. R_yell

R_yell Member

There was a metal gate, but changed my mind because the ramp is simpler. Using gates means you had another gate in the opposite side, can't be opened except enemy team deactivates it, so there should be a ramp to pass over there. Using just a ramp makes everything simpler.

I also changed my mind about the clip zones, I removed some parts but added a wall near the dam edges. There was pretty odd finding invisible walls in a place like that. Map edges also works as invisible walls, but that was different.

hope somebody can enlight us because I totally missed about that issue

17. the_6th_monkey

the_6th_monkey Member

Why not make it so there is a button on each side of the gate. Make it so the gate can be triggered once

18. Qwerty

Qwerty Member

Woody, I must make a note. If you didn't make emp_mvalley(.rar), then that shouldn't be in your folder. If it is R_yell's, you can rename your folder, "Woody," to, "R_yell." Hehe - sorry about that. :> Don't mean to offend anybody.

Besides that, the map looks rather nice. I've been wondering where to get that terrain generator (it has sparked my attention). As soon as I transfer over to TCHS (Temp. Cable Hi-Speed) for a few hours, I'll try the map out (unless the RAR is passworded). :D

19. R_yell

R_yell Member

yes, can be done in multiple ways, the gate itself is not a problem, I'm just trying to make it as simple as possible.

do you mean the displacement generator?

here http://www.chaosincarnate.net/cannonfodder/dispgen.php

20. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

I prefer the ramp method... it means only one team needs to do it to use it...

-Sheepe