emp_mvalley

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by R_yell, May 13, 2006.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I'm having this problem too. I'm pretty sure nothing has touched my detailsprites file.

2. the_6th_monkey

the_6th_monkey Member

I had that problem, but then I restarted empires and tried again and the spirtes looked correct :confused:

3. R_yell

R_yell Member

Well, I think combat should happen at center island without any incentive, is a big strategical placement, controlling it forces the other team to use only marginal areas. There could be discussed if adding a new res node there can improve gameplay in some sense.

Sometimes may happend the custom detailsprites file inside the bsp isn't loaded, don't know why but restarting fixes it. The most common problem is what I said, someone puts a custom detailsprites file in de materials/detail folder and it breaks every map that uses custom sprites. That's why I said it should be bspzipped.

Today I'll release rc5 with the suggested changes and fixes. It'll be a single bsp file, in bzip2 format for fast download.

4. R_yell

R_yell Member

5. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Where does the .res file go? Also, if you structured it like the directory, it would be easier to unzip/install

-Sheepe

6. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

I put the RES file in the same place as the BSP and it works for me. Which is the maps folder.

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

This is correct. Although the res file is really only needed for the server version (I think).

8. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

It would be cool if you could make the satillite dishes slowely turn.

9. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I was going to put this map onto the official server, but it's huge. Forcing people to wait to download it would take too long.

10. R_yell

R_yell Member

A bzip2 version for redirect fast web download would be about 31MB, it can't be lowered sorry :o

11. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I guess 31 megs would be all right. Give me the download.

12. R_yell

R_yell Member

There is no needed a new download, the actual rc5 bsp can be compressed with bzip

http://www.bzip.org/downloads.html

Then upload it to a http or ftp server. Have no idea about configuring a server for url downloads, seems Edgar did that for his server.

13. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Can you fit all the files into the bzip?

14. R_yell

R_yell Member

Only the bsp must be bzipped, it has already all the files needed except the minimap resource txt because the mod didn't recognized it inside the bsp.

Is not a problem for me bzip it, just I want to avoid the upload because is a big pain (as I said before in this thread, I live in a rural area without any DSL or other high speed connection).

15. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I made the bz2 file and uploaded it, but the client wouldn't download it. I couldn't figure it out. It would find and start to download the .bsp file in the same exact location just fine.

16. R_yell

R_yell Member

I'd like to help, but I have no experience here. I have read a bit about this question, there shouldn't be problems about bzip'ing a bsp with all the custom content inside, that's for sure.

Should be something like this: bsp must be stored on gameserver, and bz2 version (same name but ended in .bz2) in http server (or ftp I suppose). If sv_downloadurl is enabled the server should look into the url and download will start. Res file also should be kept in gameserver, and the additional files (just the .txt) would be downloaded directly from gameserver.

That's the theory, maybe some other thing is failing here, but this system works for other mods.

17. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

FYI on the big concrete bridge theres problem with overlapping. Take a look unless you've already seen it. Things like that bug meh ^,^. This is one secksy map, besides the water.

18. Half-Life_Maniac

Half-Life_Maniac Member

Just tried the latest version of this map, and I noticed you still need to build the damn ramps 3 or 4 times over before they are actually constructed. Is is really necessary to have such high health points?

19. R_yell

R_yell Member

don't know what you mean exactly, is it the ground with the bridge pilars overlaping, or some other thing?

yes, it's very necessary from my point of view. Wish those bars could be calculated correctly.

20. Half-Life_Maniac

Half-Life_Maniac Member

This might be something for the dev team to look into..
    It sounds like the progress bar should calculate an actual percentage of the total construction rather than just saying the bar's full at X ammount of health points. Or something..