emp_landing (wip)

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Varbles, Aug 3, 2009.

1. nekpek

nekpek Member

nah i don't think the actually need more texture remember where we are. it a WW2 map (as far as i understand) have you ever visited a bunker in real life it just GRAY. like the picture really realistic i would rather keep it that way (OUTSIDE OUTSIDE) inside the may hang some pictures up the wall and perhaps some water on the floor but still GRAY BORING F*CKING GRAY. thats my opinion.

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

in ww2 bunkers where often bricked in to look like "houses" from a distance

true artists can make the boring look interesting

3. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

I disagree, blizzerd has the right idea here, this is a problem I see often with new mappers. They often lean to the tiling texture spam, I does often seem like a good idea at first but you can instantly recognize when a mapper has taken this approach.

The key generally is to actually NOT use mass tileable textures, it will give the map some definition and character.

This is an example I made for someone once when I was trying to show them something on their map, have used it as an example often since.

Here we have a pad in the map, you have your mass tiling spam texture there, looks alright I guess...livable but just doesnt quite have character.

[​IMG]

now we dish it up a but, but some textures in that you cannot just slap on and call it good. Little work required now, textures wont even look good unless their lined up. But it looks WAY better! And it is still just your good ol grey bunker environment, just has some character now while still being just that.

[​IMG]

4. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

And this is why keef and shandy are our resident mappers, lol

5. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

I sue you.

For ripping of puddingforts

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

its not like its an "obscurely used" technique

id say what keef said is absolutely right, but also common knowledge

also the alt key is your friend in hammer

7. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

i agree but who else is actually going to spend some time to explain shit like this, not like solokiller or chris (or even you or I) is gunna sit down and spend 30 seconds explaining some simple yet effective methods to mapping

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

9. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

still working on it
    I redid that bunker anyway, it was just the architecture i was focused on, trying to simulate a picture

someone said this is on the BSID server, and it really, really shouldn't be unless someone fixed the packing

10. Varbles

expect a new version sometime soon

11. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

cool dude

12. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

to make it more objective base.. how about before each flag.. u require a certain class before you can advance..
    - lets say theres a barrier like barb wire.. then the attackers would need a grenadier to press "E" for 10 seconds on the barb wire to set explosive then it would blow up the barrier.
    - the defenders spawn at area A, they get to area B to fight the attackers.. but to get from area A to B they have to cross the bridge. when the attackers are taking over area B, then it w ould be advantageous for the defenders to decom the bridge. then the attackers will need an engineer to build the bridge while the attackers try to prevent that from happening
    - a wall that is blocking the path can only be destroyed by sticky grenades.

something for almost each class to do in order to complete the map.

13. Varbles

updated first post

14. Varbles

I was thinking of doing something like this but theres not really a good way to do it unless you make each flag a chokepoint. And I tried to make it so none of the flags are chokepoints and they all have more than a few entrances and exits

15. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

Hey Varbles, good map. The overall concept is cool, but there were some things that need to be though of so the map is not determined within the first few minutes.

The main goal would probably be that you'll need to make the AFVs spawn from buttons on the ship. The game is usually over if the BE cannot get the first flag with the 3 initial AFVs (it is like hell playing as infantry and going through the beach). I know the jeep racing map has a button allocated to a single vehicle (and won't be usable until that jeep is destroyed). If it is difficult having multiple vehicles spawn on a single boat, maybe additional boats can be added.

16. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

i take back my suggestion lol. the map is hard as hell for BE at the moment. the few times i played it 6-14 people, BE never got past first flag. my views of the map might be wrong, cause i never played it with 50 players..

my suggestion is instead of making the map 3by10 cells, make it 10by3 cells. so BE has wider area to attack or choose to attack one target with everything. this would force NF to try to defend all flags or dedicate all defenses on one flag. like that one dod map.. was very fun ^-^

i also suggest having more explosions, since i assume ur modelign the map after ww2 landing and ww2 games. i havnt map before or know anything about it.. is it possible to give the defenders like a usuable mortar or grenade launcher or a mounted MG? or machine gun nest that doesnt require MGers to prone.

i would also suggest giving BE progressively more powerful tanks. like AFV at start, then tank at like 600 seconds, and then heavies at 300 seconds.

back to the first suggestion, to increase the strategy involved in choosing which flag to defend.. how about 1 flag bombards the beach with random explosions, 1 flag is a radar/camera entity, 1 flag opens an alternate route.

i see lots of potential in this map XD.. a classic.

17. Varbles

I'm thinking of seeing how it goes if i give BE progressively better tanks, maybe if they haven't capped the first flag after a while better tanks will be spawned. I'm also considering a second landing craft and widening the area which they will fight. This will hopefully be used in tandem with some new lua support with which I can activate different things depending on the number of people playing and such.

There is actually a shitload of entity logic that is present in this map and its not easy to sort all of the bugs out of it, so progress on the map is gonna be slow. I'm also spending more of my mapping time on another map, so don't hold your breath for another alpha of this one.

18. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

Hey varbles what's your steam name?
    I've tried finding 'varbles' but steam can't find you

Can I work with you on this map?

19. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

is varble.. vegeta's younger brother? ITS OVER 9000!!

20. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

ah, thanks alucard ^^

so how about varbles?