emp_kutm playtesting

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Chris0132', Dec 22, 2008.

1. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

HE HAS USED DEAD PEOPLE IN THE WALLS!!!!!

PROOF: [​IMG]

2. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

On a side note, as you can tell in the previous picture, we're still working out the bugs in the .res file. Mostly done but working out the kinks, Chris hopes to have a revised version out soon.

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Right, this time it should work. I fixed the formatting, realised I'd left out about a third of the diffuse maps, and found one missing underscore.

I'm uploading a new version now and it should be done in 15 minutes.

Revision Two: -snip-

Edit:

Still slightly broken.

There will be a hotfix coming soon, hang on.

Fixed version: http://files.filefront.com/kutm+r2zip/;12743062;/fileinfo.html

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  4. the_6th_monkey

the_6th_monkey Member

Hey great map, it definetly looks like one of the best out at the moment for empires.

Only found one problem in the version I tested (v2).

I drove through the city using an apc and when I did this, I could see the tops of crates were missing. Seems you will need to replace some of your nodraw textures with proper ones

Other than that though, it looks great.
    Can't wait to have a proper game using it :p

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Pff stupid vehicles.

I'll replace them with textures then, and find somewhere to cut some more luxels from.

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

No, its "dik"

"dick" is a name for a male in dutch

7. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

I know, but in English you would pronounce it as dick,

Dik = Fat
    Kut = Cunt

:P

And allot of people I know are called dick :P 1 of them is called dick cock.

8. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

9. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

aren't you supposed to get the starry skybox? >_>

10. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

that requires a change of a file already built into empires.

Servers can not re-write files that already exist. SO for you to get the starry skybox, you need to delete the particle_manifest then dl the map from a server or just dl the map for yourself from these forums

11. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

ah. I just dled the map from the forums.

Only other place I found that you can get up where you probably aren't supposed to is in the tank area, and any turret you create there shouldn't be much of a problem. But if you must know, it's right next to the air base with the refinery in the protective housing glass thingy.

12. communism

communism poof

Played this the other night (only about 10 players on the server D:!) but I have to say. This map is gorgeous you can really tell you put time into it and I love the underground bases. I cant wait till I play it with 30+ players since the game play looks great

13. Demented

Demented Member

I got to play it with 30+ players. Release candidate 2.
    Or thereabouts. I joined near the end of the match, really. (They teams somehow managed to use up 200 tickets each.)

Those middle flags constantly got ninja capped, but because they're so obvious on the minimap, and so distant from any important goals, the fighting around them was fairly light. They weren't very good replacements for a forward barracks.

The middle refinery was ignored because it didn't show up on the minimap, but aside from control for the middle flags, nobody really crossed the bridge either, so the entire center was largely vacant. Everyone preferred the route through the northwest, probably because NF had put a base there and so the north pass was the primary avenue for vehicular destruction, but the heaviest fighting was probably in the city, which I missed because NF had pretty much seized the city by the time I arrived.

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah I was kind of expecting the bridge to be less contested than the north, it's mainly there just to serve as an alternate route, it is useful in some situations and you'd use it then, but most of the time I don't think it would see heavy use if the northwest is heavily in use.

I'll raise the number of cappers to four, I did originally have them at four but reduced it to one for testing purposes, then thought 'why not leave it like this?'

I think also it needs more time for people to develop strategies and get to know the map before we see the full spectrum of gameplay. I thought the middle refinery was marked on the minimap, unless I forgot to add the new minimap file to the release, but I'm sure I did because I edit the release folder than sync it with my empires folder.

Obviously the tunnel flags won't be as good as a barracks, but they can be used when a barracks can't, because they're much more secure if they're in heavy use.

I might also increase the central refinery to a double, because I see what you mean about there being no real objective in the centre of the map. That should add more resources and make the centre more worth fighting over.

If someone could tell me how the fighting in the city is that would be good.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  15. LifesLemons

LifesLemons Member

Last time I played KUTM,Vehicles where all but useless in city,as it was populated with massive amounts of grens.Most gains in city were quickly lost on both sides,and BE ended up haveing city hall,while NF the western half.Even while 80% of our team was in city,NF managed to hold us off,and our starting base fell under seige.We lost our CV.

Observations
    Theres not a lot of res points,battleing over the city res point is also worth less than the res is generates.
    The secret base also feels more like a container port.
    Without water.
    Climbing up boxs can be painfull with limited stamina.
    Seems like it would be fun with 40+ people.

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Well yes vehicles aren't supposed to be useful in the city, that's the idea. You can use them to take some flags but they will be at risk from infantry.

If you're having trouble taking the NF spawn, try climbing the ladder in the lift building and going across the connecting bridge, that will give you a height advantage.

It's not a secret base, it's a supply base, so yeah it will feel like a container port.

Don't climb up boxes then, there are ladders to get onto the containers.

Yeah it probably would.

17. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

your res file is missing a line like this:

"maps/emp_atol.bsp" "file"

or is this not needed in OB ?

18. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Ok I tried to extract the images from the sky texture to no avail. I'd like to modify it slightly. are there any raw image files I could tamper with please?I really just wanna take the whole thing and darken it by 20 % and increace the contrast by 35%

19. Omneh

Omneh Member

The sky texture is just a flat blue, and the stars you see on it (oddly, you won't see neither stars nor wind in multiplayer) are a particle effect.

20. bokan

bokan Member

Played this map last night, very impressed :). I particularly liked the bunkers you made, and how the slats are actually at the right height for a crouched rifleman hehe

Couple things:
    1) the sky just appeared flat blue-gray to me, no particle stars or whatever
    2) Our team had all flags and res nodes except for one, and we still weren't getting THAT much res... not sure if this is intentional or not