emp_kingunderthemountain

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Chris0132', Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

How exactly do you expect me to test it in 2.2 before 2.2 is released?

Do use your head old boy.

2. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

ummmm, we run test servers for 2.2, how do you think we're getting the maps into 2.2.

use your head.

3. Omneh

Omneh Member

Sorry chris, thought you were tester. Check your PM's.

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

'We' don't. 'You' do.

5. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

omg, give ths guy tester status already so we can get this map released already...if nothing else.

6. Omneh

Omneh Member

2.2 needs a flagship map... :D

7. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Chris you said something about maybee releasing the converted empires building
    textures for everyone :3 :3 :3

8. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

It's not that difficult to do yourself.

9. Angry

Angry Junior Member

You don't do anything anymore, you lack any right to criticize Chris's request.

10. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

WTF???

11. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

I hope you will add snow, I got a little sugestion. I like the snow theme.
    [​IMG]

12. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

If you even bothered to read this thread you would know Chris is pushing the entity limit and to get the map as it is had to remove about a quarter of the original stuff. There's no room for more. He's done, he clearly said so. Leave the poor guy alone!

13. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

The map is huge, I still hope he didnt remove the underground tunnels. Because if he dit that it would be realy sad D';

14. Omneh

Omneh Member

Satanchild, do you know ANYTHING about mapping?

15. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

I know about mapping, and yes I know it lags allot with all those features. But it would be nice to finally have a good map for Empires. I used to make maps for FEAR.

16. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Tunnels dont work fine with the average empires gameplay

17. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

The main problem with tunnels is...

Tunnel:

You --> <--Enemy

Mostly the winning side is the person who will either way hide behind a crate or in the dark or the one pulling the trigger first.

But thats bassicly in every game, FEAR, CSS, SoF, Battlefield, CoD...

18. Omneh

Omneh Member

Do you know much about mapping for the source engine? Or more specific still, Empires?

Hmmmm?

19. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

No the problem with tunnels in empires comm maps is that most
    people dont use them anyway and they make the maps to complex.
    In general more than 2 chokepoints dont play well with empires cause
    the game itself is complex and confusing maps dont make it better.

20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

No.

Hence why these tunnels have two actual tunnels running parallel to each other with lots of access between the two and walls to hide behind at the end of each segment, linear and a little dull to fight in perhaps, but playable.

Well each of these tunnels have a capturable spawn point in them, and they provide very good access to two important map areas per tunnel, they also provide a much faster route from one side of the map to the other.

It's designed to allow infantry to get past conventional chokepoints, the infantry war is actually fairly separate from the vehicle war on this map, the two intersect a lot but they are also on somewhat different battlefields, and each controls about half of the total resources, so you need to fight both, and the flags system provides an encouragement to do so. It's probably best to think of it as 'I made a classic map, and then put district on an acetate sheet and stuck it over the classic map'. The infantry zones and tank zones can see each other, and sometimes they are sort of the same zone, and they can shoot each other, but the infantry can usually hide from the tanks very easily in their zone, and the tanks can usually run infantry over in their zone. So tanks attacking an infantry zone probably won't get too many kills, and will recieve a salvo of rockets for their trouble, while infantry attacking a tank zone will probably become very briefly and intimately acquainted with the treads of the nearest heavy tank.

The city, for example, is the infantry's home turf. They have absolutely uncontested rule over almost all the important bits of the city, which are the three spawn points, the two secret entrances, the three resource points, the administration building, and the storage yard. Tanks have one route through the city, it is a winding path which is awkward to navigate and has plenty of nooks and crannies around it for enterprising infantry to lurk in to avoid being mulched. It also covers only one important area, which is the area outside the admin building, which is wide open for grenadiers to shoot at, riflemen to throw stickies down into, and general bipedal militarism of all varieties. Tanks are not at home in the city.

The ice plains in the northwest however, are the polar opposite, they are very wide open and the infantry are restricted to their bunkers and ice formations, crossing the plains is quite impossible when the enemy is present, you just stick to cover and hope to god your tanks show up to kill theirs before the infantry arrive and grenade your bunker to death. The ice formations and bunkers provide ideal cover for tanks and the open spaces allow for massed charges, this area also houses two resource nodes so locking it down is a very good idea, and to do so you need to keep patrolling, as the are is much too wide open to fortify effectively, although walling off the two interim choke points is probably a good idea to slow the enemy down. Once they're in however, the refineries are as good as dead, as they are exposed on purpose to make them harder to lock down, whereas other refineries on the map are housed in their own little bunkers and can only be accessed properly by infantry, or by a hole in the roof to allow the commander to drop them in the first place.

The infantry war can be fought independently of commander intervention, including capturing the resources, and is part of the reason why I will probably put a lot of extra tickets on the map, because you will probably lose them quite quickly.

The main problem I foresee is that the map will be a bit poor with few players, you'd need at least eight players per team to play this map I'd guess, and I'd say sixteen per team for ideal gameplay. It should scale up from that indefinitely.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.