emp_kingunderthemountain

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Chris0132', Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I am quite competent when it comes to complex entity work, I spend most of my time making automatic gun turrets.

Making most of the map water is hell for performance, I can only afford to put the river in if I surround it with cliffs, having water in an area basically doubles the amount of rendering the engine has to do.

I know that everything needs detail, I'm finishing the city, then I'm going to finish the base (at the moment there's only really what you can see, the hangars are empty) and then I'll add the props and the constructables.
    I guess I'll have to make them static then, I can't have the performance loss.

2. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

When the animated trees were put in the current maps, the normal compile was first done with the trees as prop_static entities, then changed to prop_dynamic to have them animated, with "entities only" checked.
    Also, brush based boats aren't very easy to make, there wouldn't be any reflections of them, and they would be all wobbly without anything on it. If a tank was on it, it would probably sink. Making them func_tracktrain and not react to the water is a good solution, but then the tanks could get stuck.

3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

also, although arcitecture is going to be symetrical (what kind of builder wouldn't do so), please try to make all the areas (like that nice center piece) asymetrical with broken sections and such, it's so much nicer.

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I'm thinking it's because I'm using the solitary trees, the ones without collision models, rather than the clusters such as are present in emp_canyon. The smallest cluster model is slightly too big to fit in the planter.

And yeah, brush based vehicles are always a bit crap, they really aren't worth the effort in most situations, and definitely don't translate well to any sort of gameplay.

To be honest I don't really see that it would have damaged sections. I can put asymmetry in by using things like trees and plants, but it shouldn't really be damaged at all.

The city won't be symmetrical, the different sections would house different structures, but the overall map is going to be symmetrical.

5. picard131

picard131 Member

If you could get some sort of brush based flattopped Brenodi-style boat working in kutm, though, you would be the god of Empires mapping. The GOD OF EMP MAPPING. FOREVER.

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I could get one operational, but it would never be very good, source does vehicles codeside with models for a reason, and is definitely not designed to do water vehicles on the scale of a transport boat.

7. picard131

picard131 Member

Which is why I'm saying you would be the god of mapping forever if you could do it well.

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

No, you can't do it well, the engine simply doesn't support it, it is simply not possible.

9. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Anyway that was good idea.

But MAKE it support. :D

Can't you place a some sort of wall right under the water which collides only with the brush boats? Then they could actually drive on it and wouldn't get sunk because of model vehicles on them and so on.

Or have some sort of trigger which makes the boat lighter when there comes certain kind of vehicle on it? So it wouldn't sink again in this case.

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yes, both.

But it would still be sucky, and hacky.

And I hate sucky, hacky things.

11. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Nah it wouldn't. At least the collision wall thing only for the boats.

I would like to see a map where you need to transport your vehicles in order to fight or at least have them on board some sort of transporter.

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

If ever I make a map like that it will use func_tracktrains, I have experimented with brush based vehicles and I despise them utterly.

The func_physbox entity alone is horrible, it causes ridiculous fps drop if you make it to any degree of complexity.

City is more or less done, bar the addition of all the fortification stuff you can build and some more detail props, but you can see the basic layout.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  13. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

can I just say that this sounds like a completely epic map?

that is all

14. picard131

picard131 Member

:eek:

Fuck the brush based boats.

Give me that map. Now.

15. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

yes we need more classic maps.. seems like since 1.8 its all conquest or infantry

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I would like to ask if anyone noticed the sculpture in the middle of the city? And if anyone gets it.

17. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

I noticed it, but I noticed that some of the buildings in the left part of the screenie aren't casting shadows more. What's the deal with that?

18. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Damn, imageshack is slow...

I noticed the sculpture, but I don't "get" it. Is it some sort of crown?
    I like the dock part. What's the little raised platform down there for? Flags?

Looking good, anyway.

19. KILLX

KILLX Banned

weedy, you can map, why dont you do the boats yourself instead of telling someone thats said no to do it?

20. TheBoff

TheBoff Member

The Sculpture - it looks a bit like a mountain range that's under something?
    Could that be it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.