emp_fuel_prealpha

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Terminator, May 3, 2012.

1. complete_

complete_ lamer

wow this map is going to turn out to be my favorite
    Problems: it seems to be impossible to place refs. and id make the water around the pumping station a little deeper, its pretty easy for both the be and nf com to land and not take drowning damage.

also you rock

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

is it on servers already? i rather dl it from there, before something is messed up in the end :P

3. complete_

complete_ lamer

no its non-working. I fixed it for myself with a little magic and messed around in it.

4. flasche

ITS NOT WORKING YET!!!
    [​IMG]

5. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Hmm I think I've seen problems when trying to remove files from a BSP but I don't remember any specifics. Repackaging the content into a copy of the original BSP should work.

Truth be told the only reason to package content up in the BSP is if you want to override content in the folders or in the GCF, or just for sheer convenience. Making a .res file that pushes all your custom content to disk is tedious but saves a whole lot of effort with updates and new versions of the map to be released, and minimizes the size of the actual BSP by a lot usually.

6. Terminator

Terminator Member

Alright, so I'm doing a quick recompile cause I've overridden the original bsp like an idiot. Also, i've fixed the stupid mistakes in the folder paths (can't believe I made THAT mistake >.<)

Edit: jesus, this thread lit on fire O.o

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  7. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

its hard to get competent mappers who just shit out great looking maps(no offense harry I love your maps too). I hope for your continued success.

8. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Outstanding work :)

9. flasche

soo its on servers now?
    [​IMG]

10. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

11. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

When the compiler runs, it outputs the BSP to wherever you had the VMF saved, and then copies it to your maps folder, so unless you overrode both BSPs you should still have a backup.

12. Terminator

Terminator Member

True, but I've decided to fix a couple issues anyway, (refs, shallow water). A new "properly" fixed version will be uploaded within the hour (barring some random compile failure).

13. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

I can't wait to play it.

14. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

So where do we send the crates of vintage bubbles & the dancing girls?

15. Terminator

Terminator Member

Alright! Finally is done! Links have been updated to the new version and everything "should" work and the map should be at least somewhat playable.
    Sorry for the holdup, but now we should be good to go! :D

16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Loaded it up, works absolutely perfectly. Awesome. You even used that texture =D

One final thing, maybe try not to release so many versions with the same bsp name next time, a few people are going to struggle with conflicting map versions now, although it'll probably only be 10 or so people. I don't worry about those who downloaded it from the forums, they're smart enough to delete it. But the some of the guys who loaded it up on my server when I tried the previous version, probably wouldn't know how to fix their problem.

But yeah, the map looks amazing, can't wait to play it.

EDIT: Ok, so we had a look around on it.

Everything seems alright but there's a couple of things. You missed a close-bracket on your resource.txt, so there's a lot of console errors coming up, but I fixed this on EPIC for the time being. And I think the bleed is way too quick. Even with 800 tickets per side, it'll burn through in no time. Realistically, commander maps don't tend to function too well with bleed to begin with. I'd either really really lower the rate, or just remove it and drop the tickets to 400 or something. If you still need to give the centre importance, maybe make it a double/triple ref, or give it a spawn or something. Also, the resource income seems pretty slow as well.

17. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Member

A map that looks great, and plays great.

Possible Changes, slow the ticket bleed on the center flag, bump res rate up a bit. Its a large map and walking on foot everywhere is a bit annoying. Make water a tad more visible on the mini map.

Edit: A short cool down between opening and closing the gates at center would also be nice.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  18. Silk

Silk Mapper

*sniff* :(

No you're absolutely right!

So yes, i hope he's here to stay

19. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

Sure hope he does! No offence Silk, your maps are still real good. But here comes this dude out of the blue, posts an OP like that and look at his avatar! This guy clearly knows what good shit is all about. :D

20. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

Just played it, awesome map, looking really good.

The sound of the dirt in BE base when hit is the same as that of buildings.
    Time it takes to get the flag from neutral to capped could be increased to twice the time it takes to get it from capped to neutral. What is the bleed? One per second? One per two seconds? Slow it down a tad please.

I like most about this map that its being perfectly symmetrical, not like slaughtered or coast which both favor NF.

Resourceflow feels a little too slow, might have been because the server was not all that populated, but when we held 3 refineries we got 3 resources per second, thats waiting about one and a half minute for an APC. Maybe that is intended to focus the map a little more on infantry battles since its layout seems perfect for those.

The middle has too many levels, making it easier for lone scouts to hide away.

Also there are many places in middle where one can see but not shoot through, please either allow or deny both.