emp_FieldofGrantrania

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Grantrithor, May 2, 2010.

1. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

When i first looked at the screenshots i thought John Shandy had made a new map. ^^

2. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

You know that's what tropic vendetta looked like after like the 2nd or 3rd pass. Maps dont' look pretty first go around, good maps take several passes, just that most dont' show off their work or let anyone know till it looks decent.

3. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Put a great big hill across the middle of the map, so enemies have to ramp over them into the big unknown on the other side (also stops level 3 mg's being a bitch, but that's by-the-by). Then put 3 tunnels straight through the hill, and link them lengthwise.

Put two big towers on each side of the map, and put stone/wooden walkways (higher up in the air) across to each. Make the walkways just 3-men wide, not 3-men with space. Have no railing either, whoop.

4. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

good thinking I'm gonna do this now.

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

and please, please dont try to build it out of ordinary brushes - displacements are your friend :rolleyes:

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Yea I was planning on that I'm not that thick ;) .

7. flasche

also this will speed up you vis calculations (i knew i posted it already)

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Func_viscluster

exactly above you walls, cut the visleaves with a hint brush (a brush that is textured with skip on all sides instead of the one facing down which should be the hint texture) and then place a gigantic viscluster brush covering everything above the wall height. all it does is to hint the compiler that all nodes within the brush can see eachother and that it can skip the vis calculations. props, func_details and the building models dont cut visleaves, so they shouldnt be a problem with the viscluster.
    afaik this does not effect framerates later in game - neihter in a good nor a bad way, its only to speed up compile times on huge open maps ...

another thing, but if you do what ikalx suggested thats gonna be less of an issue, is that almost everything on you map (except back faces) will render from any point of your map - normally you should consider that while planing your general map layout (and yes i know, not even all empires maps give a damn shit about that)

oh and displacements neither cut visleaves nor do they block visibility - place huge nodraw brushes inside the displacement hill to hide stuff behind them ...

hth

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  8. Cloud

Cloud Member

9. flasche

10. Empty

Empty Member

At least put some displacements in to make it slightly uneven ground.
    Ugh.

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Ooh! Someone took my suggestion :|ove:

12. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I KNOW I ONLY POSTED THE PICTURES TO FIND OUT IF I SHOULD END UP DOING IT OR NOT.

13. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

HEY! I know! You should really add lighting to this map! And displacements. And some funky music too!

14. flasche

how is anyone supposed to know if you want to keep on working on it? what it shows is nothing anyone here could have done within a couple of minutes. so dont RAEG, the outcome of such a thread is predictable ...

better be thankful when people try to be helpful and ignore the haters ^^

15. Killing Machine

Killing Machine Member

trenches? how are we going to advance? crawl all the way there? lol

any more ideas anyone has? We could make a cool map

16. flasche

read the other posts, you might find out he is building a hill with 3 passages in center ...

also, walls ;)

and trenches aint very hard to do - just annoying (but that might have changed with the new tools) :D

17. Killing Machine

Killing Machine Member

yeah yeah saw that wasnt really that impressed about it
    I was thinking more like a city or some oasis kinda like Cyclopean or Mvalley whit the DAM...... i dont really want to suggest a city cuz ill just get a bunch of hate and flame towards me Dam sounds a little better to me or ruins like duststorm but i want ideas from you guys.\

and yes walls or atleast trenches......

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  18. flasche

uhm you make the map now?

19. recon

recon SM Support Dev

That's what I was thinking.

20. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Ok by reading this of course I can't do a dam because the maps shape just doesn't permit it, but if you mean something like the team fortress classic well then maybe, A shallow river and maybe some trenches does sound kinda cool, and I might just scrap the walls around the flags and put trenches there, and in some places you can build a little anti-mortar roof and there will be a machingun/mortar minitrench. Then theres the hill which is just gonna be high enough so prone digin/stamina/hr hmg guys can't shoot past or crouchers, anyone standing can get hit though and do the hitting.

Oh and flasche I am unable to use the new sculpt tool because I have to use the old hammer because the new one doesn't work and I kinda want to use sculpt for some things so development in the middle wont be as fast.

And I don't have a very good imagination when someone else tells me to do something, especially in text, so a little picture of a birds eye view of my map with your idea in place, or a perspective that applies would be nice.

Last edited: May 5, 2010