emp_empirescup

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by John Shandy`, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Omneh

Omneh Member

needs music or football esque soundscapes. HLDJ can only go so far.

otherwise awesome, good stuff shandinator

2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Everyone was obviously waiting for john shandy to create something like this.

3. manbeef

manbeef Member

Hey Shandy, when we were doing the alpha tests, we were talking about spamming radars across the map so both teams could see all of the vehicles. I think that got shot down because radar icons would fugly up the minimap.

Would it be possible to place research radars for both teams at the corners of the maps so they wouldn't appear on the minimap, but provide full radar coverage for the map?

4. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

create a DJ booth somewhere in the stands. in it are loads of buttons and each one plays a different track.you could have a whole bunch of football ones too, there are LOADS out there. also buttons to change the lighting if you like. that would be mint.

5. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

7. Demented

Demented Member

BE jeeps and APCs should spawn for both sides.

8. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

John Shandy`:

Because empirescup was lagging on ELC I reduced the vehicle limit to 5 and later to 7 vehicles per team. But after about 4 goals and 30 minutes the map was changed anyway by rtv.

With a limit of 5 or 7 vehicles of course the lag disappeared. But I also noticed that gameplay gets much more fluid:

5 vehicles: Ball was always moving around. Nearly no clusterfucks. With some teamwork scoring goals isn't that hard.
    7 vehicles: Ball was less moving and more clusterfucks.
    10 vehicles: Ball was nearly standing still and always clusterfucks. Nearly impossible to score goals.

I also reduced the time when dead vehicles disappear to 1 second (from 20).
    This reduced some lag and also allowed teams to open a way for the ball by killing other vehicles.

I suppose that about 60% to 70% of the vehicles are always next to the ball. With 10 vehicles it means, that 12 -14 of them are sticking and raming each other all the time. In my opinion this becomes boring after some minutes.

Here some possibilities to fix this:
    - Reduce vehicle limit (and maybe reduce respawn penalty to 1 second)
    - Make ball bouncier (I know, that you don't like this)
    - Add a second ball

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

you can always add small DU so there will be less apc's "alive" at one time

yes, i haven't played it yet because i had no time and when i did play it didnt get voted up

so if du is already in then i guess make it something stronger :3

10. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

if you add DU then all you'll be able to hear is DU going off. that will really suck. also it'll suck to just get DU sniped by a half dozen APCs no matter where you are on the map. that's a bad suggestion imo.

11. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Get.. upgraded nade launcher?

12. Sonecha

Sonecha Member

UGL will surely prevent clusterfucking

13. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

that is actually a good plan.

perhaps give people whatever is the heaviest armour, so they have to choose to have a gun and little armour, or no gun and lots of armour :)

14. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

well... if you start off with each team having ONE du apc that might be fine. Then with each button press have a very small chance of spawning a du apc.

15. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Don't change empirescup into tankwars (APC wars). APCs should not be able to kill directly other APCs.

Once again my suggestions:
    - Reduce vehicle limit (and maybe reduce respawn penalty to 1 second)
    - Make ball bouncier (I know, that you don't like this)
    - Add a second ball

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

what about UML fired from the hatch of an apc?

only bretonia can do that

17. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

I don't want to add a second ball - I don't see how it would help, and I don't see how it makes sense.

I have been thinking more about reducing the weight of the ball some, though.

As for reducing the vehicle limit and adjusting the vehicle corpse disappearance time, those might be viable alternatives.

Are players unhappy with the current respawn penalty?

18. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

im just unhappy with one team being able to kill the other so easy by having someone sitting in the second seat and using sticky on the enemy next to them.

19. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

ViroMan:
    Don't overestimate the BE APC hatch. You die really soon in the hatch and it's hard to hit something while your APCs is being rammed all the time.

John Shandy`:
    A second ball would split the main action into 2 locations. Then the balls would move around more and we would see more goals.

You also need too many goals to win. I never saw a game where one side had more than 3 goals.

And I suggested to change the respawn penalty because infantry die really often on this map. But I tested this and result was only that you die more often :-)

The main problem is still, that the map is getting boring after about 30 minutes. But I don't know how to fix this. Maybe less tickets? Or change the vehicle limit and vehicle type after a certain time?

20. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Well the reason for the 6 goals is that it's what I created the map with and during testing, we never had a whole lot of big games so it didn't become evident that it was too many - only now, with hindsight, can I see that it's too many. I think in any future version, 3 goals should be adequate I suppose.

As for two balls, I think you'd end up with each team just going after one ball, and it'd be more of a "race to score all the goals first" rather than a game of offense & defense, etc.

Reducing the vehicle limit might be viable - in 2.25 the devs have said we'll be able to have more vehicles and better performance, but since the problem on Empires Cup is the clusters, I guess the limit may need to be written into the map config. The main reason I ended up liking the "cluster fucks" is that it gave infantry a solid objective in the map, since not every player gets to have a vehicle (only 10 can, and if that's changed, then even less will be able to get a vehicle). Vehicles would fight for control of the ball, and when cluster fucks and standstills occur, infantry would then jump out to mine, sticky, and rocket the enemy vehicles in order to break up the cluster. During all of the testing, it seemed to be a very good mutual relationship between infantry and vehicles for each team, but I guess people are suggesting it's too many vehicles for the infantry to handle?

I do intend to kind of figure out some kind of alternate round end condition, such as a ticket bleed or something, but haven't yet settled on anything and probably won't for a while - I'm kind of burnt out on mapping at the moment. It may very well be quite a while before Empires Cup gets another release.