emp_empcannon

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by InstantDeath, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

that cannon looks incredible now, well done. I personally think that a bit more attention to the base of the cannon, and of course the walls, would be cool, but no sweat, this is looking good.

Also, if there were holes in the wall or something so that the BE team could shoot through, it would be nice. currently, the NF team only have to find an unbuilt side and launch rockets, and there's nothing that can be done to stop it.

2. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

You might consider adding a deserted fishing village to the island or some abandoned buildings to give the NF some cover.

And again.

Crenellate the damn walls. So they're useful. And maybe have there be destroyable sections so the NF can blast their way in.

3. InstantDeath

InstantDeath Member

I've released the map as a beta. please check the map out for youself and dont judge the map just by the screenshots.

you have to build the walls up at the beginning, so yes nf can blast their way in from any side.

and not to be rude or anything, but why dont you just download the map before giving me any more suggestions.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  4. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Check the time on my reply. I said that, as far as I can tell, before this most recent version was released.

I do apologize for having a tendency to not download every version of every beta map that gets released, though.

5. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

I was testing this out on 1.08 earlier, and it nearly all seemed to work out ok. I have a few suggestions though.

- The unbuilt armoury for NF has the crates in, so there is no point building it.
    - The map seems a bit too small - ranged arty can shell the cannon from the NF base.
    - Is it possible to have to build the gate as well? :p
    - You have water running under your entire map - is there a way you could use less of it?
    - 3d skybox is too small, there seems to be a definate end to the water at the edges.
    - Map doesnt extend out far enough into the water, you can walk right to the edge. Please make it more like emp_isle, with the trigger hurt round the edge where you start swimming. I think there's a func_watery_death or something, which makes it look like leeches are eating you, which would be cool :p
    - The walls you build in the BE base are really plain. Spruce them up a bit please :)
    - The BE base seems a bit uneven, and its a pain to find flat ground to build things on.
    - BE doesn't start with enough res, and doesnt really have enough ref's nearby.
    - The L3 ML in the NF base is in a really useless place, its in a ditch and it can't fire out well.

That's all I can think of for now, but good job :)

6. InstantDeath

InstantDeath Member

hehe. well i just answered your concerns in red in the quote.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  7. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

You can make a buildable door by "hacking" the system a bit. Make the door an emp_eng_map_brush, and then make a func_door which it can be parented on.
    Next, turn off SmartEdit in the eng brush and add parent as a key and the name of the door as a value.
    If that doesn't works, use the logic_measure_movement entity to parent the eng brush to the door.
    Make sure the door can't be triggered before the eng brush is built by using the Input/Output system and logic_relay.

8. Darg

Darg Member

FUCK IT!

I just spent the last 2 hours working on a big gun complex for this map. I was just getting to the gun itself after creating a big bowl shaped building, internals and all. Then blender crashed! I hadn't set up the autosave configuration yet so i lost it all. Bollox..

I might redo it at some stage. It was looking pretty sweet too.

9. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I agree with Bodrick on all of his points, plus here are a few others:

- The minimap resolution could be higher. If it's 256x256 atm, make it 512x512. If it's 512x512, make it 1024x1024. The extra detail will go a long way.
    - Resource node markers on the minimap. I know you'll probably get around to this, but it seems like there are a lot of nodes on this map, so markers would be helpful.
    - The water in the skybox is too low, so doesn't line up with the water in the map. It also doesn't need to go all the way under the map as Bodrick said: chop out a square.
    - The water seems to be static, and doesn't have any nice scrolling effects, what texture are you using? (it refracts, so it's not cheap).
    - The NF buildings seem like they are on stilts at the moment, lower them down a little (note how low they are when a commander places them).
    - The ground seems to produce a squelching sound when you run on it. This is probably due to an incorrect surfaceprop setting in the VMT file (I think). It should really sound like grass. Are you using a default texture, or did you make it yourself?
    - There appears to be a random blue light left over in the centre of the level. I assume this was there by accident?
    - What is the purpose of the inner barriers in the BE base? It seems once the outer walls are breached they are pretty much screwed, as you can just go around the inner ones (I'm talking about the model-based ones).
    - The window in the control room could be changed to a func_breakable_surf, to give it that nice HL2 shattering effect. Look up a tutorial.
    - Have you considered using ladders rather than ramps? The whole upper section of the wall becomes inaccessible if a ramp section is taken out, whereas you could attach a ladder to every piece of wall.
    - Make the cannon enterable, and put the ultimate target on the inside. This would make the final stretch that little bit more difficult for the NF. At the moment, I don't know how much health it has, but destroying the cannon seems like quite an easy task.
    - Clarification of where exactly you are supposed to shoot it would be nice. It's a big structure: can I hit it anywhere? The top part? The core? I don't want to be wasting all my shells, and there's no feedback as to whether I'm causing any damage.

That said, there's also lots about this map that I do like. Keep up the good work, and don't let this criticism get you down.

10. InstantDeath

InstantDeath Member

my answers are in your quote in red.

11. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Like I said, I know the water is in the skybox, but it's still being rendered unnecessarily. Being in the 3D skybox doesn't stop you from cutting out the section covered by water in the level itself (you don't need two lots of water in the same place).

Ladders don't need to be parented, you just apply the ladder tooltexture, and like magic it works.

Hope this helps!

12. InstantDeath

InstantDeath Member

yes they would be, otherwise ppl would climb up nothing but a non moving invisible brush. believe me, i know how ladders work on the source engine.

13. Darg

Darg Member

Don't you need to use the hop on, hop off point for ladders in hammer?

14. InstantDeath

InstantDeath Member

I have just taken a few early screenshots of version beta8.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

intelligent comments and suggestions are always welcome.

15. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

/me does the awesome wall setup dance.

16. Darg

Darg Member

Looking much nicer every time I see it. Good work.

17. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

O rly?

Do you want me to post a demonstration VMF, or are you going to try using the tooltexture? I used to think the same as Darg, but it's not true for many mods (I think it may be something to do with being based on HL2:DM). You do not need to use mount points or anything like that.

18. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Multiplayer games do not use the more complex mount system HL2 uses, it uses simple func_ladder entities like in CS: S.

19. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I would say: add more models to the wall if possible. What about a nice big flag on that big empty wall to the left of the cannon. also, Can you add smoke to the cannon when it is damaged?

20. InstantDeath

InstantDeath Member

that would look awesome, but the problem is there are only 3 outputs at the moment, and i dont know if krenzo will be adding more in 1.08. (OnNFBuilt, OnImpBuilt, OnKill) so atm, that is impossible to do. That is unless someone wants to suprise me with a new output for emp_eng_brush that i didnt know about.

about the flag thing, ill try to parent it, but im not sure it will work.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007