Emp_Delta (Lost old thread)

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Metal Smith, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Delta, as in the land area at the end of a major river. It spiders out and webs across the land, when it swells it floods above the area, but usually it doesn't.

New Release: Emp_delta_rc3a:
    http://raegquit.com/MetalSmith/empiresmaps/emp_delta_rc3a.zip

People who have contributed to the map:
    Metal smith - Most of the map. Concept, originals and tweaks.
    Cyber-kun - half of one side of that large block thingy in north on NF side.
    [lodw]Keef - Fixed a few dozen things I fucked up. Created 3d skybox

Special Thanks:
    Flasche and Aranjedeath - Supported, playtested, Critiqued.
    Cyber-kun - Encouraged.
    Jipple - Probably wouldn't have even tried mapping if I hadn't been invited and encouraged.
    MAD - Prompt hosting on their server on the latest release
    Nachos Servers for hosting the original release.
    [lodw]Keef - Reduced my compile time by infinite amounts.

Update includes:

Another New Minimap.
    3d skybox
    Smoother terrain
    Shorter cap times
    Preplaced MG turrets (lvl 2) to slow down infantry rushes that reach the enemy base
    Redone lighting
    New water texture (same as mvalley now)
    Compiled in FULL HDR!

I've uploaded around 20 screen shots for you guys. they can all be found here. Here are a couple of thumbnails for ya though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

**************************************************************************************
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    **************************************************************************************
    This bottom section is more of a thinking out loud part. Will be my checklist of things I have done or intend to do. Feel free to comment on it.

Alright. This version is going to be the last one I do for a while. Until I get some things in, I won't be able to make some of the planned changes. Also, in the end, any new release will be completely remade from scratch. why? Don't ask. At any rate, don't expect an update unless there is a glitch somewhere.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

It does need fog. Lots. It needs more pretties. It needs more...stuff. The layout is good, but it looks boring and plain. Also, get someone who has good settings to show off your map lol. But yeh, great layout, it has a lot of potential, but needs a LOT of work to make it look nice.

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

try drawing your layout, and imagine different types of strategies that could be used on the map (like, for example fortress in at spot A, then arty the enemy base from spot B, just behind the river so its hard to retaliate against the artillery)

then accommodate for these different strategies, by adapting the geometry to it, and providing interesting locations at these sites

perhaps even color in roads that go from Base nf, to base imp, so newbies directly know where to go

add small puddles of water next to the river incoorperated into the terrain (not like, lakes, but boot deep puddles the size of a tank or so, it breaks up the grassy terrain) usual at delta's (in holland it is, ) add some trees on more solid and higher places, prevent the usage of to many trees on low ground, and perhaps even add some tidal areas? as in its a delta after all, so you would have a terrain infantry only deep in the delta, but when the tides go low tanks can get trough and fight in the mud... unless the tide goes up again...

4. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

I sugest:
    Bushes(Lots of Bushes)
    Rocks(Small)
    Ruins(Houses)
    Trees(Lots of Trees)
    And Fog(lots of fog)

5. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Thank you for the generic stuff satan.

I appreciate the comment trickter.

Thank you for some suggestion the terrain blizzerd. I'm not the most creative individual, but I like toying with terrain.

I placed the CV's in those pics to kind of show the size of the terrain in the map, but to give you a better idea, the map is 30,000 x 30,000 ( I think it's slightly larger than cyclopean.) very large. will be working on trees this week I think.

6. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

The map has a positive feature:
    It is very large, maybe you can add 2 castles at each side of the map, a capture and spawn point maybe. It could be a nice feature :D

7. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Umm.... no.

No castles. No large buildings. Trees and ponds for now.

Thinking forest areas to the east of either base where artillery might hide, to make it hard to get into and out of. I'll look into placing roads in a bit. Will probably put in a broken bridge with overgrown road otw to the infantry area.

8. Omneh

Omneh Member

Take a look at emp_insurrection, that might give you some hints as how NOT to make a water heavy, tree infested map. (it may look *reasonably* pretty, but technically its a total mess)

9. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

You will find the awesome feature of emp_insurrection if you go to middle and look west, thats why most maps dont have a ton of props.

10. Omneh

Omneh Member

Seriously mayama, that doesn't happen for ANYONE else. And as far as I know, it only happened to you once. On the old version.

11. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I would refuse to put too many trees on a map in an area that is meant for tank fighting. Tree line will probably be heavier towards the areas west near the infantry area, so that you can't sit there and nuke snipe the infantry. it's pretty hilly anyhow, so some well placed walls can save you from nukes.

12. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

Please do share?

13. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Foxy, your signature is huge. What the hell.

To Metal Smith... I talk to you in JPL chat more.

14. Omneh

Omneh Member

It causes a cloned copy of foxy to descend from the air, and roundhouse kick your computer.

15. Empty

Empty Member

How come foxy is the new chuck norris, and empty is still just empty.

16. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

I think, that because I am chuck norris, I can have a huge sig.... Now, how to get it into my sig...

Prehaps I should just make a page of quotes... *considers*

Edit: Animated gif ftw.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  17. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Good news, I'm making a first public beta version of emp_delta.

I plan on doing more work on the map, but I feel that a beta is going to be needed for a few reasons.

Currently, all the major issues are sorted. The map is not much different than the screen shots, but so far, the testing of emp_delta_9 have made enough lols for me to feel comfortable to release it.

The edges have the map have not been made yet, and since that would require recalibration of the minimap among other things, i decided to not do that for now.

anyhow,

http://www.sendspace.com/file/chfmzv

18. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

Drummer should be putting on Nachos and Juicebox next time he's not busy (Prolly sometime within the next 1-3 hours)

19. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

awesome, thank you ^_^

20. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

Pics from the Delta

a few pics of Metal's map

are coming...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]