emp_chain beta version ...

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, Jul 9, 2011.

1. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

You make what you know I guess.

[​IMG]

Those are the kind of pines we've got around here. That probably has a diameter of 40-50 cm (~15-20 inches), stretching idno... 20 meters tall (~65 feet)?

The Ep2 trees looks more like fir to me, with their branches covering a larger portion of the trunk, which in my eyes looks rather huge. But I'll have a look at em if thats what you want.

Right now I've got a good 10 inches of fresh snow to get off my driveway though. Fucking winter.

2. Silk

Silk Mapper

Yeah this varies a lot depending on where you live.
    But the "bigger" ones with branches going down a lot more, serve quite well as infantry cover (visibility wise).

Having both would be even better of course ^^

I'm already glad you want to spend your time on it. And take all the time you need, i'd rather have it take months and be very good, then a few weeks but be ugly or poorly optimized :)

3. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

Hey, anything to help the sexiest map in Empires. (Although the EP2 trees are probably a large part of that.)

Ok. So the EP2 tree is tree_pine04, tree_pine06 and tree_pine_large?

04 weighs in at

• ref: 2200
    • lod 01: 1600
    • lod 02: 920
    • lod 03: 621

Thats roughly six times the verts I used. I'll get back on it then, using these as a guideline and see what I can come up with.

4. Silk

Silk Mapper

Awesome.

btw, i think you can save some tri's by making the base of the trunk less complex than the EP2 ones. They have quite a lot of roots and grass that aren't needed that much.

For example if you were to make (one can always hope) 3 pine models, two of them could simply have their trunk widened at the base, and only one of them could have 2 visible roots going into the ground. And none of them would need grass, cause as it is now it looks weird, as the rest of the terrain doesn't have grass.

5. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

[​IMG]

Closer?

6. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

ohh that looks nicer... a bit green on the trunk though, no?

7. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Call it moss and put it in.

8. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

its very nice rappem.

i'd say trunk comment wins, then candles a close second.

put a stamp on it and upload that bizzle.

9. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Looking good, how much tris?

10. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

722 tris, which is funny because trying as I might to get 2k verts, this is where I just looked at it and went "that looks pretty good".

Might tweak the top with a few more branches though... doesn't really look right.

Not entirely satisfied with the textures yet.

Quite a bit of tweaking left to ensure it works as it should with hitboxes and stuff... and ofcourse doing the lods.

11. Silk

Silk Mapper

That one looks nice yes.

For me personally the branches might be a bit longer in the middle, so it blocks more of the view. That way i can use less trees to resemble a dense forest.

Good looking as it is, look at the image of your model and imagine a group of them. You'll see that apart from the very bottom area, you'll clearly see the background through the trees, and it won't feel like a dense forest. If you make the middle area of the tree be a bit wider, you can still have that small narrow pine like top, but put in groups on slightly varying terrain height they will also look like a dense forest, without having to add a ton of trees.

This is just feedback from my point of view as a mapper, cause as a model yours already looks nice. It's just that it plays better if there aren't too many trees on ground level for the infantry too bump in to and that you do want good visibility for at least several feet, meaning trees shouldn't be placed too close to eachother. Yet since you also want it to look like a dense forest from a distance, this means the models can't be too narrow, or you either see through the forest, or the ground is clustered with trunks.

Should you want to alter that slightly, you'll have made the perfect tree for chain :)

Edit:
    Or make several pine models ^^ (can't blame me for trying)
    With one wide pine model that i can place strategically in groups of narrow pines, i can get the same effect. I actually already did that with the EP2 trees in chain, which has a more narrow pine, a big pine and one dead pine with almost no needles on it's branches left

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  12. Beerdude26

nice, we can spam these

13. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

is that low enough to spam them with vertex painting? you know as details on displacements ...

14. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

hmm...ya we could spam these... get a better troop only path.

15. Beerdude26

The BE Med is around 4700 tris, so I think around 20 trees close enough to see them unLoDed won't impact performance too much.

16. flasche

-- https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Detail_props

meh ... and i thought you could simulate painting trees like in other engines. but well, the details probably wouldnt be synched on clients either. its just intended for small stones :S

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  17. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

Not having released any props for source before, I take no responsibility for this to work.

Give it a spin if you want:

rappmo_pine.rar @ derpbox

Just one to start with, if all works I'll whip up a variation or two.

I frizzed up the middle section a bit as requested though.

18. Beerdude26

Here's them ingame: [​IMG]

19. flasche

looking good

20. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

Question: Can you scale these in Hammer or do you want some different heights on em?

Two variations and one stub done. Running out of ideas for variations here, a fir is a fir is a fir.

Want a young, smaller and thicker variation?