emp_chain beta version ...

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

You didn't number the res spots on that image above.

2. complete_

complete_ lamer

maybe you should look at the image below

3. Trickster

That's a list, not one where I can work out which ref is which.

EDIT: Oh, ok, it's laid out as it would be above. Disregard my shitposts.

4. mcthugg

mcthugg Banned

Even after it gets voted in people rtv or just stay in spec. Empires players seem to not be able to handle new things. For some reason they would be happy just playing slaughtered all day.

5. Comand'zorz' Asz

Comand'zorz' Asz Member

Haven't played this yet but I like the look of it. Small nit-picks - the road in the middle seems to go from nowhere to nowhere. Maybe add some destroyed bridges or opt for a line-less, pot-holed piece of asphalt to make it more plausible that it is ancient enough for any signs of a bridge to have long since vanished - or add some buildings and lights (or remnants of other equipment) and its an abandoned air-strip.
    Also, the lower level bridges just sort of ram into a rock face at various points, if this is a displacement then just lower it, if its a stock model - Ive worked with those and know that their are limitations in how you place them.
    Those bridges also look in good condition, like they are frequently used. Maybe texture in a dirt part or worn grass between them to make it look like vehicles frequently use it. (Does hammer have simple colour shading for displacements?)
    Also, not sure about hammer's mechanic for this, but the tunnels and a few of the confined spaces could do with some varying echo effects to ramp up the realism/awesome.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  6. Omneh

Omneh Member

I just had the first and best game of Empires I've played in a very long time on this map. Congratulations Silk, you've created a masterpiece.

7. Silk

Silk Mapper

That actually means a lot to me, so thanks

Soon i'll be getting comments on how this or that ruins gameplay, but untill that time posts like yours really brighten up my day ^^

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I played about half a round on this today.

It's really rather pretty, has a bit of a coffee filter brownness about it which it could probably do with losing, it kinda looks like the whole thing has been colour corrected brown rather than naturally lit, but other than that it's very nice looking, architecture is good and lots of detail in it, also your skybox looks lovely.

Dunno about gameplay, haven't been able to test that yet.

As a suggestion though, you might consider locking the random spawns so that they spawn both sides at the top or both at the bottom, as it probably won't be balanced north vs south. You'll still get two quite different games, but you won't get any imbalance, or shouldn't anyway.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  9. Silk

Silk Mapper

The difference in layout between north and south seems to fix itself when it comes to gameplay.

Yet you're not wrong. I have been wondering about the disadvantage the north team has for having to walk further to build their first refs. I'm keeping an eye on this, to see if it does cause imbalances or not. I like the ref placement once the game is going, just not at the start.

The NW team needs to walk a distance of 1056 to have 3 refs, while the SE team only needs 621.
    The NE team needs 950, while the SW only needs 565

If and when i make a next version, i'll probably make the second ref in the area prebuild (the water level ref) instead of the base ref for both north areas. That way distances would be pretty much the same:

The NW team would only need to walk a distance of 628 to have 3 refs, while the SE team would still need 621.
    The NE team would only need 593, while the SW would still need 565

As a bonus, since the water level ref would be prebuild for the north team, they could imploy tactics that require them to stay on higher ground.

But first i'm gonna just observe and read feedbacks.

10. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Silk I found a small glitch in the map where I can look strait through a bridge and see sky... ill upload the pic in a second.

[​IMG]

All the info you need to find it is in the pic.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  11. Silk

Silk Mapper

Thanks, this will be fixed in next version.

12. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

one more thing... I have no idea how... but today in chain I saw(I didn't see per say but I saw a scout driving an apc around up there[befor he was kicked]) a scout managed to get an apc up on that middle road to nowhere land. Up there you can drop a barax and more. im guessing your not supposed to be up there so how about painting the whole area with no engy build and making the terrain bad enough that you can't drop a barax.

13. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

this is an awesome map,,, although can I suggest like a ref point thats times 2 in C5?

14. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

dammit i gotta play this

15. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

True say, its triff

16. o_O

o_O Member

I like how the randomness makes it different each round, most other maps start to play the same each round after a while. Also, I like the good use of height, with those hills and bridges. Good stuff.

17. Silk

Silk Mapper

I barely dare to ask this but ... has ANYone played the map in the last 4 months? At all?

If it's unpopular because of it's complexity, then there's no point for me to make maps for empires ever again.
    If it's unpopular because of balance problems, do tell and i'll see what i can do.

18. Trickster

It was still being played regularly when I stopped, and people loved it.

19. Silk

Silk Mapper

Glad to hear that, then i've just missed it so far.

20. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

its no fancy rainbow colors trolololol im so lulzy pro gamer complete retard map. and thats not meant as offensive towards shandy. i doubt it was bad intentions ...