emp_caldera

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Doggeti, Apr 7, 2008.

1. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

yeah man, lol, i am very nice, i'm a mapper to so i think just about everyone should have a chance at making something big.

ok, i noticed each time i extracted the file, the .txt file changed sizes, i always got the res file but like i said always got the same problem.

What i think is going on, is that it's pointing to the right file, for we see a material, but the material it's pointing to might be messed up or something. giving us the default material, CHECKERBOARD OF DEATH

2. Silk

Silk Mapper

I checked out beta1. Ever since i met Drag i learned that constructive criticism is a million times more usefull then saying "it's good" or "i don't like it", so i'll give that a try. It's a beta map, and it looks promising. My comments are simply what i think is necessary to make it an awesome map, just bear in mind that i haven't read any post in this topic so i might have missed plans or ideas you mentioned. Because of this i had to treat your map not as beta but as a real map since i don't know what your future plans are.

Small things:
    1) Lot's of entities that have collisions set to vphysics but don't have a vphysics model
    2) The texture of the biggest building seems to be a model texture, so it goes from texture to black when you move around. Alter the vmt of that texture so it can be used for brushes or use another one.

Bigger stuff:
    3) I like the idea of having an infantry only area in a commander map. I wouldn't mind a bigger city, or more places like that. Though this is just my opinion.
    4) The map needs a lot more interesting places. We now have the middle part, the bases and the city; everything else is empty (with the exception of trees here and there). Come up with something creative that makes the map look cooler and that makes it fun to play on every part of the map. Every area should have a challenge. On cyclopean think about the dam north, the bridges east and south, or the hills in the west.
    5) The map needs more detail. More obstacles, more ... 'nice looking stuff' that don't add anything but it make it look good. That last is especially true for the buildings in the city. This also counts for textures. Use lots of textures, and place some decals and overlays here and there.
    6) The textures repeat themselves too much. Contrary to what i've seen here i don't think you should scale them up a lot. I really hate the grass in cyclopean because it's so big it looks like a green/black crosswalk. So scale it up a little but not too much. Then look at points 4 and 5. Do something creative with the land or add something that allow you to use other textures from time to time. A crater can use blend sand/grass textures, under trees you can use sand textures (or anything that's not the exact same green grass). Look at photos of grassy hills for inspiration. All this will break the repeating pattern of the textures and allow you to keep the scale low enough to look decent.

That's it. I hope i didn't sound too condescending :)

3. Doggeti

Doggeti Former Developer

Thanks for your feedback. I noticed the strange texture behaviour of the big building but I had no explanation for it - now I have. The city will have a lot more windows and doors that will brake the repeating wall textures.

Btw, did the minimap show up on your side?

4. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Break not brake. :p

5. Doggeti

Doggeti Former Developer

6. Silk

Silk Mapper

sorry, i haven't seen py pc in 3 day so i'm a little late, but yes, the minimap showed up.

7. Rothgar

Rothgar Member

You need to fix your webserver extension handling, the rar file is trying to load as a page instead of downloading.

8. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

that's basic FTP, what you need to do is right click and save link as...

there's no web interface so you have to save the link

it'll save into a rar file

9. Rothgar

Rothgar Member

I am aware on what I can do to download the file and already have, I am just saying for future the webserver should be changed to fix the extensions so it doesn't try and load a page and output the entire zip file. Takes about 30 seconds.

10. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

dont know if this will be worked on again, but two 'minor' things about it.

1. The missile launch at the end needs to be slowed down by about 3x at least, you barely see it launch and its gone, its kinda weenie

2. you need engy_wall_restricts in the flag capping areas otherwise its easy to clog them up and never be able to lose once you cap an area.

3. I agree with silk's feedback as well, more 'details' in the middle side areas (rocks, bumps, n such) Heck you could even add some more small buildings here n there or just some forests, idk.

11. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

you need increased tickets definatly, we just played a 16v16 game on this map and both sides had pretty much run out of tickets (0 v 8 tickets and we JUST got mediums, WAY to early to run out of tickets) safe to say we with 8 tickets won cause we were able to cap all the flags with the other team dead and basically just won cause of a ticket war not cause of capping all the flags.

also needs some increased res, and start with your res node is base made, the second time around on the map i had to suicide the CV because i had placed a barracks when i rushed and low and behold you only start with 200 res and cant afford the ref! yey! i then recycled it too early and still couldnt afford a ref after the recycle. which basically it means your forced to do but one thing with your starting res, build the first ref, and can do NOTHING else with it, defeating the purpose of rushing without building the ref.

trust me it was just lame and both teams were upset about it, my fault i know but it was too ez to make the mistake.

12. Doggeti

Doggeti Former Developer

I'll consider it for the next version. I can't promise that I'll work on it soon but I will keep on developing it.

13. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Everytime I reupload this map, no-one gets a minimap. :(

14. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

check the .res file

15. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Ok people were talking about this a couple of pages back but came to no conclusion, but I figured out the minimap problem.

The .res file points to:

"materials/maps/emp_caldera_b1.vmt" "file"
    "materials/maps/emp_caldera_b1.vtf" "file"

But it should say:

"materials/maps/emp_caldera_b1/emp_caldera_b1.vmt" "file"
    "materials/maps/emp_caldera_b1/emp_caldera_b1.vtf" "file"

So if you download the map from this page it will work fine, but if you download the map from a server it will not download the material files and therefore not display a minimap. The res file will have to be changed as shown above if you want people to download the map on your server.

It would also be nice if the res file pointed to itself, in case someone downloads this map from a server but then wants to set up their own server that allows map downloading also. Apart from that all of the filepaths work fine.

16. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

well thats what i did on our server....sry i cant repack all the maps with their fix's

17. Doggeti

Doggeti Former Developer

Changelog for Beta 2 so far:

• Doubled the inital team resources (200->400)
    • Increased the ticket count (100->400)
    • Slightly increased the resource output of resource nodes (4->5 per second)
    • Added eng_restrict areas around the flags (walls restricted, turrets & cams can be placed)
    • Decreased speed of missile (600->200)
    • Decreased time to capture flags (50->20)
    • Increased number of players required to capture a flag (1->2)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  18. Omneh

Omneh Member

any chance of moar pretties, like changing the trees, and some more texture variation?

19. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Need underground tunnels to the middle so that its not just a giant pit that can be turret farmed, underground infantry tunnels like on emp_arid from all 4 corners of the map. That would be just win.

20. Mr.Bungles

Mr.Bungles Member

agreed with that last post