emp_bush revamped

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Fuck yeah, I loved that map.
    But why do the tops of the cliffs look like desert?

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

ahahah imagine the work you'd have to put into this. you basically would make a few map layouts and pick one randomly. and placing (and aligning) props is one of the biggest portion of work on such a map ...
    but who am i telling, you should know ;)

3. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

can there be aircraft?

4. Silk

Silk Mapper

True enough, but excuse me for being blunt, but that is where it stops to be my problem.
    - The menu DID explain everything, and still does
    - The minimap shows question marks -as the only map in empires- which, even if you don't know what it means, is a huge hint that you might want to check the menu in the hope of finding information about it.

Anyone who complains about the map being too complicated after that, shouldn't be playing it anyway. ^^

Wether or not random refs are necessary ...
    The fact is ... i like it myself, which is a reason to do it.
    I see nothing wrong with it, so i can't think of a reason not to do it (i did explain i don't care for dumb people).
    Conclusion: it isn't necessary but imo it's a nice touch

5. flasche

cant you somehow trigger those hint windows used by the ingame help?
    you know that "this is a barracks, ..."-stuff ...

you could show those like a minute after spawn or so. thats long enough to let even the most noobish noob find out of the main and its short enough so that you didnt reach one of that question marks ...

also like trickster said, have some resprops where the refspots are so you see them better.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  6. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I would suggest you care cause if you want everyone or lots of people to like your map you should think about the dumb people as well.. Yeah, you can pull the punk rock artist type response and say in a Keanu Reeves type voice "its my freedom of artistic expression" .. But then I wouldn't suggest it as an official map since I think they should be easily played. Not that bush is hella hard to play, its just an inconvenience I can see panning out with the huge steam release..

7. complete_

complete_ lamer

fuck dat

8. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I feel its in because it can be in, not because it makes it better. Spawning in different spots make games much more fun.

9. Silk

Silk Mapper

I disagree on this.
    I think this is because i probably value people's intelligence higher than you do.

I want a huge community, with decent players who use teamwork. Basically, i want to see empires' gameplay reach it's full potential. For this i welcome people with a less than average intelligence or even typical twelve year olds, as they add to the size and popularity of the community while they can still be taught to play decent by better players.

Someone who can't however figure out where the difference lies between "typical refinery locations" and "randomly picked refinery locations" - when explained in the map info, shown on the minimap with "?'s" and shown in the map itself - is waaaay below "less than average intelligent". They're so far down on the list of ranked intelligence that inviting such people to the community, would harm it tremendously. It would be filled with naggers, complainers, spammers, griefers, ... who'd scare away the pro players.

Actually in your defense, that last sentence explains why you think people are so ... well ... stupid, since you still visit this forum quite often. I'm thinking much more positive about the latest generations now that i stopped reading stuff on this forum that isn't in my own mapping topics.

It's just random picked refinery locations.
    If someone gets stuck at that, he shouldn't have taken the commanders' seat anyway, as he won't be able to cope with any of its responsibilities.
    I don't even think i'm inconsiderate, just ... realistic.

Not wanting to suggest this map to become official is your right of course :)
    Hell, i wouldn't suggest it to become official, untill played for months and months and proven stable.

10. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

What will happen is bush will come up and people will RTV to rainbow road and I swear to you I have seen this happen more than once... Not even lying.

I respectfully disagree with your decision but, I can relate with a similar situation.. Not wanting to change a part of a song because I liked it more.. I believe it was a big epic build up to nothing like a relaxing drop off of sound. And my buddies were like man you need some epic part after that build up but to me the beauty of the song was the release of tension after the build up.

So in our situations the mass(which will be ignorant) will either change the song or RTV the map.

Also I don't think the problem is as much comms and people looking for refs as much as it is more time doing that rather than the fun killing parts.. But Either way I wish you the best of luck. I love this map no matter how it is I am just suggesting things that will hopefully get it played more..

Thanks for your time silk.

11. Silk

Silk Mapper

I'm happy to enter in any adult discussion :)
    And it's not that i don't see your point, it's just that we have slightly different priorities.

Anyway, the map is FINISHED, including some addition EVERYONE will complain about.

Comparisons of 3 generations of Bush:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  12. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

No more spawning in the middle east and west? Only corners now? Oversight perhaps?

what are the two concrete areas in north and south?

again, new version is so sexy! where's that other new map you were workin on? (make more sexiness)

What's the thing that will piss people off? Is this last question one too many questions?

random refs all the way man, my fav thing when comming bush is saying "GO FORTH MY MINIONS AND FIND ME SOME MONEY HOLES!"

13. communism

communism poof

wow nice job man

14. flasche

u really should place res props silk ;)

15. Silk

Silk Mapper

Downloadlink:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/234836/mapping/emp_bush/emp_bush_10022011.rar

Balance
    If everyone starts in a corner, they're always equally far away from the middle area's with the x2 resource spots, and equally far away from the center.

They're on all four sides, always have been. It's just a lazy way to block off the entrance to the map. (originally i made the entrances in case larger maps would ever be possible, so bush would be able to become one corner of a 4 times larger map, or 9 ...). This is no longer relevant, but i don't feel like changing it.

emp_chain ... it went on hold during this remake ... i will return to it now.
    Or at least soon ... all this cliff detail in bush tired me out a bit.

Might as well start the rage here, instead of when they find out in a few days.
    When you capture the middle bunker, apart from spawning an ammo and health box, 4 LVL3 ML turrets spawn on top of the bunker as well. When you sneak in and turn the flag neutral again, they will disappear. There's no limit to this, they'll keep respawning on capture and disappearing on ... uncapture or whatever.
    So be aware of scouts at center.

Too lazy
    Best excuse ever

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  16. flasche

lazy? it takes 5minutes ...

17. Krazer

Krazer Member

Is that a new skybox?

Very beautiful skybox! :D

18. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

OMG SILK, I HAD A MARVELOUS IDEA!!!

copy paste your map over 4 times, one right below the other. Give each a different theme and such, and have part of the randomness be which environment the map will be played in XD

19. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

thats fucking awesome..

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

worst_idea_ever.jpg