emp_atomic is now available

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Chris0132', Mar 29, 2011.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Hmm I could do that actually, make the vehicle section sufficiently radioactive that infantry can't actually move across it, and instead need to be transported there by vehicles, it would limit infantry transport to the number you can fit in the vehicles, and as vehicles take time to respawn, players should use the other routes.

I like that idea, it depends on whether I can get it working properly but we'll see.

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

That would get really annoying.

3. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

People would grief it by constantly running into the goo, can't revive them if you die in the process.

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

people can grief far more efficiently on some of the official maps

only 1 cv in the water is gameover...

5. FN198

FN198 Member

please make which flags are bleeders clearer to first time players of the map. also, the bleed should be more like eastborough. just halve the bleed speed since emp_atomic is rather large.

has anyone suggested removing the spinning middle waste churner thing? that whole section doesnt flow with the rest of the map.

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Why? It just makes the vehicle area largely vehicles only. The flag isn't that important, so why do you care? If the flag is that annoying to take as infantry, stop wasting time with it.

Currently it is actually physically impossible to traverse the straight bits of the canal without vehicles, therefore infantry simply cannot go that way, it's no more annoying than if I put a wall there.

The basin flag now has a much faster neutralise time and only requires one person to capture, so you can probably take it with a good squad in a jeep/afv. There is also enough room to park the APC next to the tower, you just can't walk to it. You can however walk to the admin tunnel via the new catwalks.

Er, what?

If you're going to do that why not just keep typing kill in the barracks? Or any other building, or just run 5 seconds behind the spawn point and do it, nobody is going to revive you half the time.

That really isn't an argument.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It's written on the flag, it's the central flag, it's the only flag without a spawn point, and it's written in the startup screen.

Unless you want me to make a giant 'welcome to [strikethrough]las vegas[/strikethrough] the bleeder flag' sign I don't think it can be made much more obvious.

I haven't played eastborough so i don't know what that means.

Filtration is getting connected to the rest of admin, so it will be one of three entrances each with a flag near them.

Additionally, because the plant building is getting two extra flags in it, and it is connected to filtration which will then be the fastest route to admin, you should find that filtration rapidly becomes a major thoroughfare between several flags.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  8. complete_

complete_ lamer

you should update your op to rc6. its a much more improved version over rc3, which was absolutly dreadful. i had a fun round on it just a little while ago

9. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Oh yes, we did RC6 a few minutes ago. It was amazing. Instead of having the whole team camp the bleeder to win, there was constant movement and strategizing amongst the squads. A much more enjoyable experience, in my opinion.

10. OuNin

OuNin Member

can you make the minimap with daytime lighting
    nighht time looks super ugly

11. Trickster

I joined the server to see that round end. It went right to the wire.

12. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Uhum, late critic is late but ... remove vehicles and scale the map down to half the size, there, a fun and fast paced infantry map.

13. Candles

I think Atomic is fine the way it is. District becomes a hellhole above 10v10, Eastborough can get chaotic around 15v15, Glycencity and Urbanchaos become bitches around 15v15.

But Atomic is a nice big infantry map. 10v10 is possible but fairly slow, 15v15 makes for great rounds and I'd bet 20v20 would be nothing short of amazing. With rc3, no matter how many players there were, it was simply a question of how many players you could get on the bleeder. But rc6 has the bleeder with two flags in the southeast, both near cappable spawnpoints that are a straight run from the initial spawnpoints, not to mention that it's even easier to access the central bleeder from the surrounding flags. Suddenly, defending the central flag only is a bad idea because it's a harder to defend position and the enemy can cap the other bleeder to balance out the bleeds, creating a strong incentive for coordinated intra-squad action, which in my experiences does tend to be fairly good quality. Some players might not listen to a commander, but they're more likely to listen to a squad member who they can see and who also has a better sense of the moment.

But, my point is that Atomic is a great map. We have enough of the infantry maps that work with small numbers of players, and it's nice to have a map that works with larger numbers of players.

Though, if I might make a suggestion, the southeastern bleeder flag in my opinion should bleed tickets slightly faster than the central one because it's hard to hold both flags and defend them.

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah sure whatever, I'll put RC6 on it, I really need to fix the elevator properly at some point but I think the map works OK other than that, apart from that annoying lighting bug.

I noticed vicki was still running RC3 which if it's one of the really old versions is probably not much fun. RC6 isn't perfect but it's better than the other versions.

Anyway I think this works, should be what I sent out to the testers: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1579090/filehost/emp_atomic_rc6.zip

Southeastern flag is harder to lock down, but you can spawn there, so it's easier to get people, I think overall it should be a little easier to hold, considering its in a corner with only two routes in, and it's a spawn, whereas the middle has four routes in, and is accessible from anywhere else on the map.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  15. Candles

It's easy to hold one of the flags in Southeastern. But holding both of them is nothing short of a bitch. In a 15v15, I would have one squad lock down middle, one going around for the capture points and one heading for southeastern. There's no way in hell five people can hold both flags for any duration of time, because if one flag is captured then the spawn point disappears. That's why I think it should give a slightly stronger bleed than middle, because a team that only has middle and revive engineers + turret upgrade could still win the game with only slight difficulty. It's still hard to directly assault the roof.

Middle might seem harder to hold, but it's actually pretty easy. A single camera near the flag will show every nearby infantry well before they actually reach the flag, which itself has only two entrances that can be locked down with turrets and mines.

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The barred windows on either side make perfect shooting holes into the building, and the glass on the roof is breakable so you could rain grenades into it.

Holding only the building is rather difficult against an intelligent squad, as you have four windows you could get shot from, holes in the floor for grenades to go through, holes in the ceiling, and unless you're going to sit right next to the very exposed windows, you can't cover the doors themselves very easily.

Basically without a lot of spare people, you are at a disadvantage in the the middle, whereas the southeast has a spawn, and also two other flags to serve as a buffer.

The southeast can serve as your base, more or less, the middle can't, as the closest flag to it is the basin flag and that's a really terrible route to use if you're going to be contested, you should only use it if you're trying to sneak a squad in, or if you can run to the other side of the lift once it reaches the top.

17. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

It is on VIPER now..sorry I haven't check the forums in awhile, but it is good to go now

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Ehh don't worry about it, I didn't actually release any version past RC3, trickster just has it because he ran the tests for it.

Kinda meant to do another version, but RC6 works about as well as it's going to.

It tends not to work with fewer than 30 players, taking your player-count-mapcycle into account, and it works much better with vets and some squad organisation.

19. Trickster

You just gave me an awesome idea. A mapcycle that puts maps into the vote based on the amount of players playing from given steamgroups. We could add the clan steamgroups, Empires testers, etc. It wouldn't matter for a lot of maps, but for King, Chain, Atomic, Smokies etc, it could be really awesome, given how dependant they are on having a good team.

20. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

is that do-able with the current stuff?