emp_ ... i don't know, ambush or something?

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Silk

Silk Mapper

emp_ bushed

Work in progress!

General layout of the map: 3 x 3 grid

Special feature: Semi/partially randomized starting locations and resource spots !!

[​IMG]

- On map start the BE base will be in one of the 3 west areas. The NF base will be in one of the 3 east areas. The map picks one area randomly on mapload.
    - The map is basicly a 3x3 grid. These 9 areas will all have exactly ONE resource point. The west and east areas will have 2 possible res spots out of which one will be actived by the map. The middle north and middle south area have both 3 possible res spots, out of which only one (per area) will be chosen.
    - The middle res spot is always active, and the 3 middle res spots give x2 resources.

Things might still change drastically, especially after playtesting somewhere in the future.

A screenshot:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  2. Doggeti

Doggeti Former Developer

Very good job. I see scouts with speed upgrade become very important in the beginning. Hope to see this be released some day.

3. Silk

Silk Mapper

btw, anyone know a good name for this map? It should have something to do with the main feature: randomization

So some fancy word that expresses something like uncertainty, surprise, ambush, unknown (territory), ... etc
    Anyone?

4. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

emp_unfound,emp_undiscovered,emp_lost,emp_wtf xD
    emp_bushed

5. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

emp_randomempcanyon ^^

Srsly its a awesome idea... <3

6. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

emp_pursual

7. Silk

Silk Mapper

ZOMG that's the best idea i've seen in years

Seriously, why call it emp_ambushed if you can make it emp_bushed ^^

8. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

LOL ^^

9. KILLX

KILLX Banned

emp_ghostlands
    emp_grasslands
    emp_dormant (anagram of random with a t)
    emp_landform (anagram? of random with 2 wild cards)
    emp_continental

those all are other words for random, haphazard sounds fun :)

10. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Epic looking map.

11. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Make sure that wherever on the map it is that people see when they are waiting for the game to start is not in direct view of where any of the starting bases would be.

Does that make sense? When you first start duststorm for instance you're at the ruins and can see all around. That would be a good way to ruin the surprise.

12. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Yea, but the bases and refs would have to be selected on map load, no? So you would already be able to see where the stuff is on the minimap.

13. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

Killx-Knighttemplar
    1-0

14. KILLX

KILLX Banned

One issue I see as well: how do you guarantee every client and the server have the same starting points and refs if its random?

15. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

you can't see ref sites on the minimap (hence having to put markers on), bases is probably a fair point although personally I auto select straight away so I would only see my base location I think?

I think KT's point is a good one.

ooooh, in fact could you make a fake map under the real one so you wouldnt know if you were see refs on the real or fake map? (if you see what I mean, let people see refs but not know if they're seeing the truth)

The random will be fine - its like the random water rising times on my sinking map, its done by the server I think. One random entity will spark off a setting

16. Silk

Silk Mapper

Well to be honest, the feature is really only usefull for clanwars, because you can't know BEFORE the map starts where everything is.

But for public games, where people do not plan tactics in advance, nothing really changes.
    - It only takes one guy on each team to have been in spectator a millisecond to have seen both starting bases on the minimap as red and blue squares.
    - The commanders can just move their commview to every possible res spot in the entire map, from withing their base, and see if the ref snaps to the spot are not. This only has to take a few seconds.

But still, at least the map will be different (almost) each time.
    I just changed it so that the two start areas have both res spots enabled, for increased income.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  17. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

Emp_random?

Also, use some different texture scheme! We have too many grassy maps. The daytime could also be different.

18. Silk

Silk Mapper

I haven't started texturing yet, don't worry. I just added this one because imo this is the grass texture in which the repeating pattern is least obvious, so it was a good quick-view texture.
    Still i'd be surprised if it wouldn't be in the final version as well.
    I like green, live with it ;)

Most likely me and Blight will work together on this map. I have no idea what we will do with it.

19. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

How about some darker jungle grass and palmtrees, to make it look like a jungle?

20. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

If you changed it to more of a concretish or rock quary ish, it could look kinda like a strip mine.

It reminds me of a map on the old star wars force commander rts. If anyone has played that game. It's pretty old, but this reminds me of fighting in that strip mine area.

Emp_stripMine

Emp_Abandoned
    Emp_Excavation
    Emp_Turrets

Something like that?

Emp_Site57
    Emp_Drift
    Emp_Subterrainer
    Emp_Goodlands

Do you want a more naturaly created type of name or a more man made kind of name?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008