Easiest Beginner Class

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by knighttemplar, Aug 4, 2007.

?

Which class should they be

1. Engineer

60.0%
  2. Rifleman

33.3%
  3. Scout

2.2%
  4. Grenadier

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. It won't make a difference

4.4%
  1. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Scout
    Engineer
    Grenadier
    Rifleman

Which of these 4 classes are easiest to play for a first time player? What I mean is, an emp_recruit joins the server and joins your team. Says "what should I do?", what do you tell him to do, what class should he be?

IMO, tell the Newb to be a rifleman and get him to stay with you. Riflemen are good because their class is like every other FPS and it's not too hard to shoot a gun and run for cover etc. Of course all classes take time to know really well, but this is what I suggest. The only problem is that the riflemen aren't too useful and it really helps to have an engi behind the lines healing you or building up the base. The problem with a newb being a rifle is that they're now a front line troop when they don't have any idea what's going on.

On another note, my bet is most newbs go scout, both because it is the first option, but also because they like the sniper rifle. The basics of scout are the same as rifle i suppose, but stuff like conc grenades and sabotage are pretty new and unfamiliar to most gamers. Still, there are a lot of decent gamers out there who will know how to shoot, and they might have wicked sniper skills even if they're not using silencer or accuracy.

Grens....probably not.

2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

i think they should get a feel for being an engineer and make a turret and get some smg kills first

also tell them how to select skills

3. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Engineer by far... Even if they dont know how to play; you can just tell them to follow you and help build...

Engineer is the workhorse of Empires... You must know how to play Engineer...

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I selected engineer, because that's what most people would tell them to go to at the start of a round, and its unlikely that it would occur to them to change. Also, building is a fairly simple task.

My second choice would be rifleman, for the reasons KT said above.

5. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The enginner was the class i first chose, mostly becasue i remembered the TFC engineer class, and because i actually read the manual.

6. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

it really depends on the map.. any classic map engy fasho..

7. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Rifleman is probably the easiest class to play, yet he's not the most useful. The upside though, they don't require much supervision since all they have to do is fire their gun at infantry and chuck grenades once in a while.

The other classes require some more insight to be effective.

8. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

If you have a good commander, then an engineer is the best option, especially when you are getting used to the game, reviving is a good way to help your team

9. rat

rat Member

the only way a newb can help his team in this game is being engineer. with engineer you learn important things like turret range, the various buildings and tanks. after learning how to be a constructive engineer i would recommend learning grenadier. mortar is hard to get at first but you can get the ranges memorized pretty easily thanks to the scope. rifleman and scout are better to learn on conquest maps. I prefer not to use the ranged rifle in conquest because youre usually just sniping into enemy territory and all it takes is a revive to make your kill useless to your team.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  10. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

engi. i started as one and you pick up on things really fast if you keep your eyes open and ask a few intelligent questions.

11. Gunnery Seargent Hartman

Gunnery Seargent Hartman Member

You're not being objective.
    The easiest class for beginners is Rifleman for sure,
    since you basicly only have to run, crouch, prone and shoot.
    Furthermore, Rifleman skills are straight forward,
    and everybody who plays this mod has played a shooter before
    (being it HL2 or CS:S or whatever he owns).

Engineer is the class that might make the nub most usefull for his team,
    but surely not the easiest class to play with.

I think the actualy difference in difficulty for Gren, Engi and Scout is negible.
    Gren does basicly only have two functionalities, same for Scout, Engineer got like 5 or 6.

Whats more difficult, using Engineer to full potential or Rifleman?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  12. Caelo

Caelo Member

Does it even matter? They should just pick engineer because of the teamwork involved..
    If you tell them to go rifleman you are jsut saying hell just kill enemies and don't work together with your team to build stuff in tactical spots..

13. Gunnery Seargent Hartman

The poll still reads "Easiest Beginner Class",
    not "Most team-friendly/usefull Beginner Class", doesn't it?
    That's what I mean by being objective.

Of course it, at times, will make more sense for the Beginner to being an Engineer.
    Engineers are generally usefull, and if you stay back a "safe" and easy class to learn the game and to learn how to help your team.

And for the "Does it even matter?" part, did you ask this yourself, too, after reading the thread title?

14. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

When did he come back? /\

15. Caelo

Caelo Member

did you read the first post? cause I'll just quote a part of it just for you ;)

16. Gunnery Seargent Hartman

Actually, I did not read that part properly. :rolleyes:
    Luckily, it doesn't negate my point entirely.:headshot:

Telling him to go rifleman won't hurt you, he only has to follow people around and shoot the enemy team. Basicly what Trident said.

Now, if he had voice com activated (and actually understood what "I" said) then there shouldn't be a problem with him being any class (but grenadier),
    whatever the situation requires.
    Since mos things can be explained quickly, without loosing a lot of time typing.

17. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Rifleman is the easiest, but Engineer is the better class to get familiar with first.

18. Caelo

Caelo Member

:P
    I agree

19. Chahk

Chahk Member

Easiest for newbs - Riffleman. Just point at the enemy and shoot. Of course more experienced Empires players will pwn them most of the time because they know the ins and outs of the game.

Best class to learn the game with - Engineer. Without the pressure of being the first on the front lines they have more time to figure out ranks/promotions, class-specific skills, squads, etc. They get a chance to play around with various upgrades and realize that there are no wallhacks or aimbots, just Cameras and Damage Upgrade skill. :p

Besides, they still get to shoot stuff. ;)

20. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I think the first, first class I used in 1.00 was scout. I was scout for about 90 seconds when I realised it was terrible. I then switched to Engi. Only recently have I really enjoyed playing the other classes, like gren or scout.

I think, if the player is bright, engineer all the way, in order to get some much needed help and so they can learn the game. Still, I think it would be good for a round for them to play as roffleman and learn some of the empires basics