dwarf fort diary

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Waffle Prime, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Waffle Prime

Waffle Prime Member

ok so I'm playing a slightly older version atm so I can use the graphics pack. makes things a bit easier for a nearsighted bastard like me. figured I'd share my experience starting out.

day 1: got a nice red sand home going for my boys and girls. started underground garden. communal dining room and bedroom set up. figured out up and down stairs. my fort has river access witch is a blessing and a curse. A carp just ate my carpenter 'jebus'. happy easter.

2. Zeke

Zeke Banned

SCREENSHOOTS! :p

3. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

fix'd that for you.

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the new one supports graphic packs

i am using one of the classic graphic packs atm

5. Waffle Prime

Waffle Prime Member

well quick update the carp pretty much ate everyone. I should have taken a screen there was blood everywhere. I'll start making screens on my next go. winterfell has been taken by watery foes. that's what I get for naming it that I suppose.

6. Waffle Prime

Waffle Prime Member

7. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

fuck your graphics packs, give us ascii screenshots NOW

8. Waffle Prime

Waffle Prime Member

try two the fortress of monkey blood.
    [​IMG]
    rhysus monkeys keep stealing my shit and interrupting drinks right off the bat. after they stole my only cross bow (obviously planing to use it against me latter) it was on. I drafted my dwarves into a deadly monkey killing group.
    [​IMG]

9. Cloud

Cloud Member

Ya mean rhesus macaques, don't ya?

10. Waffle Prime

Waffle Prime Member

yea those things

11. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

xD

also, more ss

12. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Dude, sandstone is teh shits.

Until you find out you can't do much except spam cabinets and chests with it, but who cares? That's what about 50% of your first year is doing anyways! Turn the rest into stone crafts for the caravan visit. I kept one crafter working on staone constantly and was able to buy out the entire caravan.

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

in a mature fortress, buying out the caravan is pea easy

14. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

Too bad mature forts usually are like bad cities and have designs withing designs within more designs that can't be efficent with space or prevent vermin spread or creat effective defensive areas, fortress format does help with that though.

Also when it gets late game I want to see a kitty-pult that shoots the millions of prepared "ammuntions" that breed crazily.

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

thats not true at all, i once had a fortress that was basically a stack of "square ring" like pathways no more then 15 on 15 per ring, with stair pillars in each corner, and at least 10 stacked on top of each, with the outside walls having different lodgings attached to them

inside the ring was the actual fortress, even numbered rings held workshops with input/output stockpiles, uneven rings held stockpiles directly connected to the workshops by 1 level up/down stairs

the topmost ring held the barracks, and the pathway was connected to a 3 wide walkway going north, with a bridge at first, a marksmen pillbox, then a trade depot, then the long passage out the mountain

it was efficient because it was built next to a underground river, so i could get water and tower cap

it was the most efficient fortress i ever built, i started with 1 ring, and just added rings downwards as the fortress grew, lodgings could hold up to 300 people (although a lot more could be added, since only like 5 rings had any lodgings) and ring outer walkways where 3 tiles wide

[​IMG]

red is economical being workshops or giant storage rooms, both connected with small stairs where appropriate, the squares in the bottom is how the lodging was done, the corners are up/down stairs

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  16. Waffle Prime

Waffle Prime Member

my new fort seems to be on top of a aquafiler. I still have it going since it's good practice for me but sadly I'm gonna have to abandon this one if I can't get any stone.

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

dig out a big square just above the aquifer, then let the roof collapse on top of the aquifer, it will crush the aquiferness out of it

18. Cloud

Cloud Member

Using dorf companion in order to designate arrived nobles for slaughter is fun~, it also gives a few units of dwarf skin and dwarf meat :3.

I'm running the old 40d on my laptop, because it has a non-laggy version. The normal version lags like hell so i use an opengl version.
    Currently running a ~100 dorf fortress at 20-40 fps.
    Also, how does a flying pheasant trigger stone fall traps?

19. Kamber

Kamber Member

If you want to do it the hard way, or don't have a thick enough roof above where you want to pierce the aquifer, you can use the fact that an aquifer tile wont produce water if it is next to open air (ie. there is no floor next to it).
    Just dig out a 3x3 square with a down stair in the middle, then dig a 2 square wide ring about 2 squares away from the main hole. Use 4 screw pumps to keep it drained then channel one layer deeper, leaving the middle for stair construction. If you don't build any floors (or stairs i think, haven't tested it though) next to the wall then it wont flood your fort.
    Obviously, if its multiple layers you would have to increase the size of the square but the principle is the same.

This takes a lot more work and time to do than the cave in method but it makes for some interesting moat defenses if you make the hole big enough :D

Also, I did this in the 40d version so it should work in DF2010 unless how aquified tiles work was changed.