Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition OneShots - The Downfall - #2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by D.D.D. Destroyer, Jul 5, 2017.

1. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Okay because last time went well.

Well, there's a mess up north. It's probably wise for you to clear out of the Capital before those undead come down here in force. But first, you need to provide yourself with some more personal capital...

The biggest city in the Svaldar kingdom sure is impressive and has a lot of work opportunities, but you're not the kind of person to work boring manufacturing jobs or patrol rain-soaked streets in the dead of night. No, you were born for greater, or at least more exciting, things. As such, your finances were always rather poor, as your only sources of income were small-time quests and the occasional backstreet robbery. It worked out fairly well for you, but it's not going to earn you enough to buy rations and equipment for the long journey to the Great Dunes, far south, where any undead trouble shouldn't be able to reach you. Those enchanters will surely have a better grasp on the situation than this excuse for a king, Gorgonz III.

To remedy that problem, you took a bit of a risky deal - usually, you are much more picky with your contracts, but this job promised to pay well, and time is getting short. A shady looking woman hiding her face under a thick cloak offered you a serious amount of coin for a late night courier task - pick up items from a couple of places, then deliver them to some nobleman's garden. It feels like you are getting involved in some petty squabbles of the highborn of this world and that can mean all sorts of trouble, but if it gets you out of this city, then so be it. As the time to action approaches, you and your mates set off for the first meeting point...

What?

We will play a single session of DnD. The session will form a complete, self-contained short story, with a little bit of exploration, a little bit of combat, and a little bit of roleplaying, all mixed together to offer everyone a small but complete package showing what DnD is all about. The game will be set in a world I've been developing for a while. There's some lore behind most things you will be seeing, forming an original and more or less cohesive backdrop for our shenanigans. I will be busying myself with describing new locations and controlling monsters, while you, as the players, will be the main characters of the plot. Here is a playlist containing recordings from one of our one-shot sessions.

Where?

We are using www.roll20.net as our virtual tabletop where all rolls (and maybe some makeshift maps to help visualise) will be done. In terms of communication, we will most likely be using Discord for voice, and roll20's built-in tech for webcam feeds.

I will give invite links to the campaign/Discord server over PMs to avoid randoms joining up.

When?

The game will happen on Saturday, the 8th of July, at 6PM UTC. That is:

• 1100 PST
    • 1400 EST
    • 1900 BST
    • 2000 CEST

Here is a link to a countdown timer. The session will start when this reaches zero: http://a.chronus.eu/17D5A18

I expect the session to last about four hours. If you are signing up, please make sure you can attend for this long. If it takes less time than that, okay. If it takes more, we'll either go overtime if everyone can do it or stop early and see if we can finish it some other time.

I regret to say that I might have to suddenly cancel the session because of family reasons. If this happens, I'll let you know ASAP. It's not very likely, but I'm just leaving this up here just in case.

Who?

I am looking for between 3 and 6 players. The usual number is 4 but we can work with more and with less....within reasonable bounds. If there's not enough interest, we won't be doing it. If there's too much interest, I will take the first guaranteed people, and the rest of you, fear not, there will be more sessions.

If you want to play, you need:
    • Absolutely no experience. You can be a withered veteran of many rulesets and campaigns, a casual dabbler, or a complete no-experience newbie. We'll have fun regardless, new players have the craziest ideas that make into great stories.
    • A microphone. Absolute must. We will be doing a lot of talking over the four hours, and the only written things will be the dice rolls.
    • To agree to being recorded. I'm going to record the sessions and later put them up on my YouTube channel. For future generations.
    • To let me know. For obvious reasons. You can post here, you can PM me elsewhere. It's fine either way.

Webcams are appreciated but not necessary. I will be using one for sure, I gesture a lot and reportedly make funny faces.

In preparation for the session (and any following ones), you will need to make a level 3 character. Here are basic 5th edition rules, basically a demo version of the whole thing that will let you create a fully functional character more easily, but with limited customisation options. I can give you access to the full thing if you want, but you have to hit me up privately for that.Please PM me before you begin the creation process, I'll help you with the mechanical kinks and ensure the character fits into the world.

I have two more sessions planned. They will have no direct connection with each other, and if you can't play in one for whatever reason, you can totally sign up for another - all sign ups are for single sessions, I will ask about the next ones separately.

If you have any extra questions, PM me or post here.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  2. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

If I'm allowed to play again, count me in. That last 1shot was great :)

D.D.D. Destroyer likes this.
  3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I'll have to pass on this one, made some engagements already.

4. Major Cleve Cutler

Major Cleve Cutler Member

When I was watching the first video, I saw you delete a token, and I was like "GEE, I SURE WONDER WHO THAT WAS FOR." With teeth gritted.

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

To be fair, I prepared the map a few days in advance and just didn't adjust it before the session. You're welcome for tomorrow all the same.

6. Major Cleve Cutler

Major Cleve Cutler Member

Chances are that I'm not gonna to play tomorrow.

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

This happened a bit later than scheduled, but it happened nonetheless. Here's a link: