Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition OneShots - The Downfall - #1

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by D.D.D. Destroyer, Jun 11, 2017.

1. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I can't handle the guys I usually play with so let's go for some 5th edition Dungeons and Dragons one-shot sessions.

There might be some trouble happening in the Northeastern Reaches, but you're sure someone else will take care of that for the good of the kingdom. After all, what are you supposed to do against an army of undead. Keel over and die, maybe. But that's not helpful. No, that fight is definitely not yours to pick. You have enough trouble keeping it together in Tor Faein. The religious capital of the world wasn't really affected by whatever nonsense has been happening lately. Trade still flourished. Mostly incoming from the east and outgoing to the south and west, the opposite of the usual, but it flourished nonetheless. People went out and tended to their fields and pastures, completely unconcerned. The Glistening Cathedral was a little desolate ever since most of The Order went out to fight the undead. Only Matriarch Marazil and Patriarch Josua, accompanied by a skeleton crew of lower rank members, were left to tend for the massive building. And that presented the perfect opportunity...

The Grimy Bottleneck, the best place to get this sort of tip, proved its worth again. You learned of a hole in the patrol and ceremony schedules at the Cathedral that should allow you to sneak into one of the shrines of Mithra undetected, take whatever you desire - there's a lot of wealth to desire in there - and leave without attracting anyone's attention. So you waited for the right moment, and together with a few folks you've seen around town, you went in the dead of night...

What?

Dungeons and Dragons is probably the most easily recognisable tabletop game there is. I don't think it requires too much introduction, so let's just say that in essence, it's interactive storytelling - we come together to tell each other a cool story with some dice rolls and rules being involved to help variance and speed us along. What you're looking at here is a one-shot set in a custom world of Radreha with me as the DM. Okay that needs explaining.

We will play a single session of DnD. The session will form a complete, self-contained short story, with a little bit of exploration, a little bit of combat, and a little bit of roleplaying, all mixed together to offer everyone a small but complete package showing what DnD is all about. The game will be set in a world I've been developing for a while. There's some lore behind most things you will be seeing, forming an original and more or less cohesive backdrop for our shenanigans. I will be busying myself with describing new locations and controlling monsters, while you, as the players, will be the main characters of the plot. Here is a playlist containing recordings from one of our one-shot sessions.

Where?

We are using www.roll20.net as our virtual tabletop where all rolls (and maybe some makeshift maps to help visualise) will be done. In terms of communication, we will most likely be using Discord for voice, and roll20's built-in tech for webcam feeds.

I will give invite links to the campaign/Discord server over PMs to avoid randoms joining up.

When?

The game will happen on Sunday, the 2nd of July, at 2 PM UTC. That is:

• 0700 PST
    • 1000 EST
    • 1500 BST
    • 1600 CEST

Here is a link to a countdown timer. The session will start when this reaches zero: http://a.chronus.eu/17D3768

I expect the session to last about four hours. If you are signing up, please make sure you can attend for this long. If it takes less time than that, okay. If it takes more, we'll either go overtime if everyone can do it or stop early and see if we can finish it some other time.

We will make one long (30~ minutes) break near the middle of the session. Social responsibilities require me to eat a communal supper at the time.

Who?

I am looking for between 3 and 6 players. The usual number is 4 but we can work with more and with less....within reasonable bounds. If there's not enough interest, we won't be doing it. If there's too much interest, I will take the first guaranteed people, and the rest of you, fear not, there will be more sessions.

If you want to play you need:
    • Absolutely no experience. You can be a withered veteran of many rulesets and campaigns, a casual dabbler, or a complete no-experience newbie. We'll have fun regardless, new players have the craziest ideas that make into great stories.
    • A microphone. Absolute must. We will be doing a lot of talking over the four hours, and the only written things will be the dice rolls.
    • To agree to being recorded. I'm going to record the sessions and later put them up on my YouTube channel. For future generations.

Webcams are appreciated but not necessary. I will be using one for sure, I gesture a lot and reportedly make funny faces.

In preparation for the session (and any following ones), you will need to make a level 1 character. Here are basic 5th edition rules, basically a demo version of the whole thing that will let you create a fully functional character more easily, but with limited customisation options. I can give you access to the full thing if you want, but you have to hit me up privately for that.Please PM me before you begin the creation process, I'll help you with the mechanical kinks and ensure the character fits into the world.

I have four such one-shot sessions planned. They will have no direct connection with each other, and if you can't play in one for whatever reason, you can totally sign up for another - all sign ups are for single sessions, I will ask about the next ones separately.

I think I covered the most important points. If something is missing or you have additional questions, post here or message me privately.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  2. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Can I enter as Sir Podem Dopplewink the trans human --> orc lesbian night elf woman whom abandoned xers life as a beet farmer in pursuit of the rod of dopplegang in an attempt to bring xers family to the everlasting realm of orgasm?

Will that fit the story or should I rethink?

3. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Lazybum likes this.
  4. D.D.D. Destroyer

I think we can make something happen with a slightly unstable person. We will talk over PMs.

5. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Someones really desperate

6. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Is last minute(day) sign up allowed?
    My schedule for June is flexible in a bad way, aka I am not sure about my free time.

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

@Paradox Not at all. I've had an amount of experience with completely whacky characters, I just make some adjustments to the session plan and do my best to work with those characters.

@Sgt.Security Yes, assuming we still have free spots and you can get a character ready in time. If you wind up not participating in this one, there will be more too.

8. BigTeef

I made that saving roll you sunvabitch.

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

I granted you that and I apologized already. I even had a cool campaign lined up for a back from the dead kinda deal, but a few other factors rendered the plan in need of a serious makeover.

10. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Olin is the best!

11. BigTeef

12. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Hey, I have off for once when you're doing a dnd thing, so I can totally be there and stuff.

13. D.D.D. Destroyer

Due to semi-sudden developments I can't make it for this weekend, so I'm forced to postpone DnD indefinitely. I'll post a new date once I know what I'm working with.

@Lazybum

14. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

You ain't gonna stop me, I'll hit up my local crew and dm them into the gates of hell I tell ya what. Well more likely they'll do a heist to steal some magical thingamajig, but that's if they make it alive there first. Nothing like not doing something for 7-8 months and still vividly remember what was happening from the last session.

15. D.D.D. Destroyer

Okay I reschedule this thing. It's happening this Sunday at 2 PM UTC. I updated the OP with up-to-date information. Here's the link to a countdown: http://a.chronus.eu/17D3768

I believe Lazybum and VulcanStorm are going to play.

16. Major Cleve Cutler

Major Cleve Cutler Member

I'll see if I can join up as well. Anything special I'm gonna need to play?

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

Nothing much, the important stuff is listed already. Add me on Steam for the invite links.

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

It happened, it went well. Here's a link.

19. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Destroyer using maps? no way, this is just a video montage, it's a fake!

20. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

What.Is.That.Stache.

Do you want to stay single for the rest of your life??? Because this mustache is how you achieve that.