Dr Chris's Astounding Modular Barracks!

Discussion in 'Art' started by Chris0132', Sep 22, 2009.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Or I could make a simple modular theme and use different shapes and construction methods as would befit the BE technology level which is what I was planning to do in the first place.

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

how will you connect the buildings? airplane tubes?

3. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

I'm not going to lie, I feel inadequate at the moment. Good fucking job.

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Put them next to each other?

I could add a small train/aircraft connector if neccesary, in fact I'll probably make some anyway because this system would be useful in maps, I can make a module construction kit so people can make their own modules.

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

The concept is growing on me, but I think I worked out what I really didn't like about it. The building's don't look unique enough. The amoury just looks like a smaller cube. They should have something that, when you look at it "That's a barracks" or "That's an armoury". Otherwise we'll have the problem with newbies that we already do with the NF medium and heavy.

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

you could just add very recognisable points, flags or even external architecture differences

for example, armory gets metal bands bolted onto the concrete (its armored, to protect the explosives being set off and destroying the base)

the barracks could be the one with large windows and lots of vent holes

the vehicle factory could be the large one with the garage entrances at each side

etc, the problem with the nf med and heavy is that they are filled at the sides with crap like chains and shovles etc etc, making the specific differences blended away into the aboundance of random stuff on them

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

the only problem i had for a while was to distinquish BEAPC from AFV - until i noticed that the AFV has tracks. took me like a day to figure out.

if you want it really idiot prove youd prolly have to make huge floating neon-signs above them ... ;)

8. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

I'm not gonna lie, I still can't tell the difference.

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah I know I'm going to have a think and see if I can figure something to put on it which won't mess up the profile too much. I need a way to separate them from the basic module kits anyway, because I might want to make modular bits as part of the map too.

Actually no sod it, I can't think of anything that won't mess up the profile, or anything that is really neccesary for a barracks aside from a ventilation system (which I already added).

The VF will be much bigger, the radar will have a radar system on it, and the armory can be made more bunker-like considering it stockpiles ammo, but the barracks can stay like this I think. All the other buildings will have some obvious thing on them which changes their sillhouette, so the barracks can be the one that doesn't.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  10. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Maybe add some bunks to the barracks? Like fold up ones on the side of the wall? Just a little interior spiffing?

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It already has bunks on the side of the wall, they're in those little alcoves.

12. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

awesome! except needs new textures.

Seeing old textures on new models seems kind of pointless, unless of course that is just a placeholder.

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Er, why? They're good textures.

I'm not making more textures just for the hell of it.

14. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Nice really like your ideas Chris. :D If you has some generic rooms and connectors I could see whole maps made out of these. How long do you think it will be before someone does a moon map as you suggested lol? Heck I could even see how they would expend the base. Have an engineer "build" on a door(deconstruct door object) that spawns the armory or radar....

15. 0yv47

0yv47 Member

i think moonmaps would make more sence if aircraft was implemented....

16. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

How would that make sense?

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

In space, everything makes sense

18. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

Did I say making new textures was arbitrary? now I did not.

It's just that empires needs a revamp. We need new textures across the board and I really wanted to see someone step up and make some for their buildings. Empires needs a new coat of paint, literally : /

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

But as I said, they're good textures.

There's a limit to how good you can make textures in source, the lighting system is crap, you can't do really good speculars and speculars add so much to a texture it's not even funny, structures are also going to be primarily lit by the sky light with no shadowing, so that's going to detract hugely from the visuals.

I can't make the textures better, I bet you if you put those textures into another engine they'd look a million times better. Besides, I'm crap at texturing. I don't have the tools for it really.

20. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

Good, not great.

The limit of quality is up to an artist, not his canvas