DOOM Sequel Is A Thing

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BigTeef, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Normal way: Desing scenes in a way that properly shows the setting. Requires resources and work to be put into it.
    Doomsdaynotebooks way: Get a post eng literature intern to write us a 20 pages of walls of text to put into the game. Who needs gameplay when you can stare at Arial 10 for dozens of minutes. Drop 2-4 per level and slap a mandotory 'collect 20 bear asses' achievement

Also mind that the hate is about the misuse of the thing. In S2, logs (and they were mostly audio not some shitty text too) are there to build drama and hint to some later reveals. Logic behind them being there was kinda ehh at times, but it wasnt complete stupidity. This is not the case now, where you just find random pages/cassetes/whatever just scattered all around as if someone intentionally put himself in peril to leave them there.
    S2 also get a pass since its a really old game an was made without 40 millions of budget.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Ikalx's first paragraph summed his thoughts up pretty well.

3. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

But who's around to tell the story in the doomsday setting? It's cool when you're going around a derelict vessel, underwater city, or research facility finding stuff that's been laying around and you get a glimpse of the golden age. Half-Life did the same thing except instead of recordings you find scientist.

Well there are games that have cutscenes every 5 minutes, or do flashbacks. It's not the method of story telling it's the execution that's bad, I would say that DOOM 3, Bioshock, and S2 did it right, while the games you draw your criticisms from did it wrong.

4. complete_

complete_ lamer

doom has always been slow
    [YOUTUBE]NE5Pca_jM40[/YOUTUBE]

5. Z100000M

Bioshock had some reason (people are long dead) but the logic was terrible. Who the hell carries dozens of those bulky recorders in case they need a pre mortem entry?

And again, there needs to be a reason for shit to be left. Who writes notes in this day and age? Journals are that, kept within a book and probably hidden in a drawer. In games, whole pamphlets laying around is a common sight. Who spends hundreds of dollars on tablets to only ever use them to write short mental notes and leave them for no reason in highly visible places as they go? All this stuff ever does is ruining any semblance of immersion.

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Ok dude. I like it, you don't.

7. Z100000M

Why did i even bother to write all of that shit.
    I even spelled it out

8. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

That is the whole reason I made this a issue is how characterized and misused the ip is in both of those trailers. Its QTE halo with dubstep.

If it didn't have doom in the title I wouldn't care and most likely give it a try. But it has doom in the title, what I saw was not doom I saw people adding features and modernization when the core formula was perfect and did not need extra shit tacked on. That is not a doom game at all it.

9. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Still not sure how you're coming to this conclusion as from the video you posted it looks like it plays like a classic doom game - mindless shooting and running.

10. BigTeef

No see my doom doesn't have shitty dubstep music, slow downs, or a QTE's.

Yours might, but thats not doom.

What I posted was a mod called brutal doom, and how it does everything better than what was presented in the doom 4 trailer.
    In the first few seconds you can clearly tell the difference because it plays actual music, that could be categorized as metal.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  11. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I have to say, doom 3 had better weapons then doom 4. Though both pale in comparison to killing floor. The jumping around and climbing ledges was neat though, I will never say no to more mobility. Still considering it's doom it should follow titanfalls movement system to capture that gotta go fast feeling.

12. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

What do you mean by this? That the maps take longer to make because the mappers are adding more details, so maps can't be so large so the players have to slowdown for it?
    Why can't a player have the same speed in a 3d engine as a 2d engine, it's just a variable.

.. And doom 1 is 3D.

13. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I'll take two.

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Actually yeah, that sounds pretty cool.

15. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

So, I watched the E3 vids, I read the thread, and I sat on it for a couple days.

And, honestly, Teef your complaints are crap.

Doom 4 isn't fast enough for you? Yea quake was shit fast too, so was original Counter Strike and even CSS where you could bunny hop. I'm not really hard over on them *not* making this a coke addict twitcher.

As for "Brutal" Doom, that's not even good. He's taking way more damage than he needs to for the levels, even for a speed run, probably because he is "rushing it" faster than he can handle it. Yea, I'm not impressed, nor is that "speed" any better than the Doom 4, it's just a guy going faster than he should. Which, if you didn't notice, in most of Doom 3 you weren't moving too fast, and there weren't a shit-fuck-ton of sprite enemies in very simple geometrical settings, because they could do a heck of a lot more with setting and atmosphere. Doom 3 scared the living shit out of people, was fun as fuck, and most of the time there weren't an overwhelming number of enemies, but still fun. Especially if you played on Nightmare.

I think you are judging way too hard dude. I don't think the number of enemies we saw was indicative, nor the difficulty. I think they ran through a very basic course in easy mode with all the weapons available to try and show off as much as possible to the crowd. Very different from what the actual game will be like. I fully expect a Doom 3 experience without the dark and suspense, and replaced with tons of blood and fire.

As for the music, fuck you.

As for the slow downs, meh. For the console circlejerks, it's a really good feature so I'm not surprised. Guarantee the PC version will shortly have a mod to eliminate it. You could try writing it yourself if you can. Then write a music pack mod lol. Highly trivial stuff.

16. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Hey now, the music is kinda bland. It didn't have to be metal even though metal fits nicely, but it shouldn't be that bland. It's like generic background noise, except real generic background noise would have worked better honestly. It did for doom 3 at least.

Hopefully it's easy to mod it a bit, so you can swap out killing floor's sound track with it. Would fit real nicely.

17. BigTeef

Cpatton we already know you have bad taste, you don't need to prove that to us.
    If you think doom 4 is okay, or didn't see the problems doom 3 had then you obviously was never a fan of it to begin with.
    I liked doom 3 because I was heavy into silent hill at the time and didn't mind the change of pace to a survival horror, but I don't consider it a doom game. Just a thing with doom in the title.

You picking dubstep over the Metalica and Slayer inspired pieces is not convincing any of us that you know what your talking about and looking for the sake of arguing.

Also can you show me how to mod games cpatton, you seem to know how to do such things seeing as your telling me to fix the problems myself.
    I am sure you can go into explicit detail on coding procedures, and the ilk than talk shit.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  18. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

"coding procedures" smh.

Also, I don't believe there was much "shit" I said on the topic of you coding, 15 words if you count the whole sentences. However, if you find the insinuation that you yourself do any coding to be that highly offensive, I guess I understand.

I really don't give a rats ass about dubstep. I also give not-many-fucks about metal. There are good songs to be sure in the metal genre, and dubstep songs that don't go fucking insane bonkers sometimes find something pretty good too. However, I don't defend their choice of music, I lament the fact that your complaint, isn't really about the quality of music, it's that they changed genre. You first said "halo with dubstep", as one of two descriptors (so 50%) of your problem with the game, then in your later post you clarified "shitty dubstep music" and implied it was not "real music". I took that more to be shitty as a modifier of all dubstep in general, not specific to that particular dubstep song. In an age where Mettalica has released "We Did It Again" with Swizz Beatz and somehow isn't landing deals to sing at the superbowl, who knew they would go for something different.

the point is your complaints are shallow and trivial, and I find it hard to see the game-ruining impact. QTEs RUN FOR THE HILLS! THIS ISN'T METAL, MY EARS! I really don't care about your purist "it's not doom" "don't call it doom [or I whine like a baby about it]" attitude, because to you any evolution from the original cannon gameplay is heresy. It looks, the way I see it, to have much in common with the doom genre they have been evolving into, and closer to the Doom 1 and 2 atmosphere than Doom 3 was.

But hell, lets rant about the implementation of strongly-liked console gaming GUI mechanics, and the fact that the game is slower (though somehow faster than Doom 3, which I note you seem to recognize was both well done and acclaimed). Lightning fast Quake engine is in the past, now game play has a happy medium fast speed and it still looks as if it might be both a lot of fun and a step in the right direction, since it's faster than Doom 3. By the way, did you notice virtually every other game series with more guns than you can count with one hand has moved to the slow-down select-weapon wheel? GTA did it, but Doom is forbidden.

TL,DR; rants on the series being all grown up and made for a 2015 consoler. Teef, you have like 3 subjective reasons with questionable significance to the actual gameplay and you write it off like ID hasn't slam dunked every title in the series.

------------

My opinion is we are going to see more, actual gameplay / plot, and I'm sure a lot of pieces will fit then. For a crammed, staged, E3 demo, I'm pretty satisfied and they got a lot of things right by the cannon.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  19. BigTeef

Okay thats nice.

See when you resort to insults, without any actual content or reason too its only proving your looking to start something.
    Just say you like the look of doom 4 and admit you don't actually care about the series instead of pretending you know what your talking about.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  20. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Not insults, points. I explained them so you could understand that - that was content btw Teef pls. Mainly, your complaints hardly scratched the surface of the gameplay.

Teef... I wasn't going to beat the technical nuance to death but since you didn't get it: coders call them algorithms, not procedures. Maybe you meant technique or style or practices? But not procedures... I don't know a single coder who would describe their coding procedure.

Coding procedures are used heavily in hospital care though :rolleyes:. I know some charge nurses who can talk you up a good game about their hospital's coding procedures breh.

EDIT: Wait, are you implying your request for me to "show [you] how to mod games" was serious? Any algorithm so high level as to apply to any modding project no matter which language or whatever would be out of the realm of coding and more like guidelines. However, if you need to understand how these things are done, lets use Doom 3 as an example. Use a zipping utility to unpack the .pk4 files -> modify them -> repack them -> distribute -> ??? -> no profit, release for free since I just taught you how to code. You're welcome. No idea if that "coding procedure" applies to Doom 4, so I hope that satisfies you and maybe we can get back to the actual subject game, which is likely packed differently and seems like it might even come with a limited SDK, if the map editor is any indication. Man that would be cool, given that Doom 3 was moddable I expect that some GUI modifications to 4 will be possible as well.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015