Dizzy's crazy props

Discussion in 'Art' started by dizzyone, Apr 21, 2007.

1. J_4mes.

J_4mes. Member

did i tell you i love you?

2. Tablis

Tablis Member

3. J_4mes.

J_4mes. Member

Tablis go away, your stealing the love!!.. LOVE STEALER

4. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Hope you guys like it.

Next pack will have
    - static arty model
    - phony lcd screen
    - atm wall machine
    - subway/wecare sign
    - corkboard

but first let me finish up the reflex/holo sight for BE

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

When you keep saying that if we want something we should model it, does that include skinning?

Because once uni finishes I'll have time to practise my modelling that I've been learning this year, I can probably get a few ideas I've been having out, but I don't know how to use image editors (although the principles of UVW mapping are part of my course)

6. dizzyone

Did I say that? :S
    Not sure what you're replying to.

You don't know how to use photoshop? I would guess that photoshop will be part of any course or study you're taking that involves 3d models.

Also I think it's better if you call it texturing, I'm sure its a correct term and that it is used a lot in 2d graphics communities, but skinning refers to animation where you apply a model to a skeleton by weight.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Ok texturing then. I usually use skinning to refer to scribbling on a UV map and texturing to refer to making tile textures or whatever.

And yes, you often comment in other sections about how the mod lacks modellers, and I have heard the suggestion that modelling something would help grant it some force when suggesting it.

And no, it's not part of the 3d modelling modules, although it is a module in the second year. I picked and mixed my course but it is basically the same as one of the other courses, and all the texture stuff in in the second year for me.

8. dizzyone

Well if the suggestion is reasonable and the reason why it would not be in is because theres no modeller to do it, then yeh I'd definitly go for doing it yourself. For example Arklansman made some sweet explosion sprites for the tanks and those were included with 2.0. Theres plenty of things left that you could fix or do for the mod as a modeller I guess, I havent done any of that because I'm not a good modeller and am slow as hell. ;)

I guess a good place to start is to improve the collision models on a lot of objects, I can name a lot of models where you can get stuck in and you don't need to texture one bit. You wouldn't even need Krenzo to implement them into the game, ok sure for the sake of consistency it's required, but if simply both the client and server have your improved versions of the model, it'll work.

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

After this month is over I shall see about learning how source models actually work in a technical sense, as currently I haven't done anything other than buggering around in max making models, while source requires some other stuff to get it working.

I've been working from blueprints too, but I haven't found it particularly difficult, just time consuming to get them absolutely correct.

I'll get a picture of a couple of the models I've been doing at some point. But I'd definitely like to do something constructive to get the mod going faster.

10. dizzyone

The prototype of a holo sight issued by Sixth Infantry Div. higher command for standard use by all soldiers. A little preview :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Very nice, I saw the WIP version and I stick by what I said, it looks like a holosight but not like one that already exists on earth, which is good, and it fits the brenodi weapon style, which is also good.

I think it will make the brenodi weapons much more fun to use.

12. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Guess I can be called the resident texturer; so if you have questions about UV mapping; or actual texturing, feel free to ask...

Or even if you need some prop textured, I can do it (Can't guarantee a speedy delivery though :P)

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Oh I know how to do it in theory, and how bump maps and alpha masks etc work, I also worked with HL2 textures somewhat, but I just don't have any experience with photoshop or gimp or anything beyond paint really.

I can make UV maps, or at least I can with max (have to figure out how XSI does it though) so once I have the models done I should be able to supply them as required.

14. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

does anyone know of a good rocket/missile model (as in a big one that'd be sat in a silo ready to launch (or ready to be loaded))? I'm sure there was one in hl1 but I doubt that'd work with empires without being included separately

15. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Guess you could do one quite good with cylinders-block in Hammer?

16. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Or someone could make one. Missiles are a cake walk to model (don't come bugging me. 1. I gave up on modelling in order to devote more time to writing. 2. I can't texture it to save me ass).

17. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Episode 2 has a gorgeous one you can use as a reference if you like.

18. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

yeah episode 2 and TF2 have one, the one in TF2 looks like the Saturn V

other than that good luck

19. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Or steal one from TF 2 from the well or Hydro map, can't remember which one had it.

Change the texture on it and claim it as your own. :P

20. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Cue being sued by Valve.