Discussion Point: Fission Engine

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by wealthysoup, Mar 31, 2014.

1. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

2.5RC1 has been released for awhile now (and the updated fission script before that) so lets talk about it. Whats its strengths/weaknesses? What do you love/hate? When do you use it? How logical of a concept is it that the faster you drive the faster it cools? etc.

Played a game of duststorm with it last night and noticed a few things myself, firstly its become sooo slow. Secondly that if you overheat (or get close to overheating) theres pretty much no chance of movement for 3-4 seconds. Combine this with the fact that a lot of less experienced players dont know its the opposite of all other engines (moving cools and staying still doesnt) and you have an extremely niche engine.

On the other hand, 3 phase is fast, has good cooling and a sensible overheat penalty.

Am I the only one that thinks that fission in its current form needs a massive change?

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

fission is shit - it still is kind of a heat lock. would not recommend to research.
    also ACE is shit - screw this "if you tap forward it actually cools while driving" its unintuitive bullshit and the engine already is too slow to capture a cv - also it uses half its heat capacity when just driving, thats dumb - looks like its designed by the same troll-engineers that thought "oh we build anti-tank weapons that cannot take out tanks reliably" (talking about hitting a heavy 10 times with an RPG and its still not down).

i can understand your whish for more diversity but please find other ways.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  3. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

We might also want to start out with actually stating the different effects in the vehicle factory menu.

4. flasche

but - even if its offtopic - i really like this sort of discussion topics, please keep them coming.

5. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

This is pretty much what I think.
    It also what I though originally as well.
    Gimmicks are more of an annoyance than fresh air.

One thing I noticed is that hit reg seems way better for vehicle mgs, so now std mgs just fuck you up like its 50 cal. That and the fact that CG now has a really bad particle, the bullets are so big you can't really tell if you are hitting anything.

6. flasche

well at least ACE fucks you over less then fission does - even if it only lets you use your tank to half its potential since its quite hard, if not impossible, to outmaneuver other tanks and only go for their weak side(s) ...
    with fission you can get to the side you want but as soon as you unload enough to kill it you are sure stuck at the spot.

7. Z100000M

ACE is bad for the same reason why sights are bad. Empires, being a high damage game, your primary way of not dying is not getting hit. Mobility and evasion are god. Tanks also have the plate system, which makes mobility and turning around vital. ACE makes it all go to shit.

8. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Fission could be quicker. I preferred it when you really had to be going full pelt with it but could basically fire constantly. Driving fission with DU, even on an open map was difficult. Or making "dive bombing" runs through an area, it is something you would rarely think to do with any other engine.

ACE isn't hard to drive with - if you remind people how to use it then people rarely overheat in dumb places. I think the diversity in the engines is worth keeping and pushing as far as possible.

As for things being intuitive - no-one here can comment any longer on what is/isn't intuitive really because our frame of reference is so coloured. Regardless I don't things need to be that intuitive, if things are displayed in obvious ways then it doesn't take long for people to get it.

I would look to arcadey mech games like armored core for some inspiration with heat management, might want to consider damage hull damage - or disabling/jamming a weapon if it is fired during over heat. Also more visual / audible queues. Stuff like increasing the hue of the screen would be much better than the horrible little thing we have now tucked at the bottom of the screen. Or add the heat level to the reticule so it is at least easy to see.

9. flasche

so you say its not HORRIBLY UNINTUITIVE (and inconsistent) to constantly tap w while driving? ok - i cannot deny, i might not be the right one to judge, i have certain expectations i give you that - so, this evening lets go ask some newbies how to drive coolant ...

dont get me wrong, i think the general concept is ok - one engine cools better on the move, the other while immobile - but the execution lacks. coolant cools when you tap move (though its supposed to excell when immobile) and fission leaves you in a stunlock if you had to "alphastrike" even when being mobile (but not pressing W). also, contrary to all other engines, fission doesnt cool off enough to drive again when you let go w after you overheat ---> U N I N T U I T I V E ;)

i dont think adding exploits to a game and call it features is a good idea. yes the forumgoers will profit since they read it sooner or later, but what about the rest?

10. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

I think fission and advanced coolant need a change, at the very least their special 'ability' could just be toned down a little.

eg: Coolant not cooling whilst moving could be changed to just not cooling very well whilst moving.
    Fission not cooling whilst stationary changed to not cooling very well whilst stationary.

Also make the status effects of engines shown on the HUD in some way to make it obvious that the engine special buff/debuff is in effect.
    So for example it could show the speed increase you are gaining from gas turbine as you loose armour.
    A red temperature icon whilst moving with adv coolant and a blue temperature icon whilst stationary and vice-versa for fission.

Maybe something similar could be done for some types of armour as well such as showing the angle modifier when getting hit when using reflective so people know they are angling the armour correctly.

11. flasche

^ exactly this ^

12. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Cyberkiller nailed it.

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Sounds like the way forward!

14. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I think you can pivot your tank and still reap the benefits of ACE, you just can't press the W key.

The problem with ACE & fission is that no one knows how they work.

Candles painstakingly explained it to me (God bless him).

• Coolant cools well when you aren't pressing the W key and cools poorly when you're pressing the W key. It has nothing to do with vehicle speed.
    • Fission cools poorly when you are pressing the W key. It starts to cool better when you press the W key and gets better & better as you speed up.

I think this is an inconsistent & exploit-y mechanic. Fission should work exactly opposite to Coolant. Good cooling while W key is held, bad cooling when W key isn't held. Simple, elegant, clean.

15. Empty

Empty Member

Yeah I'm not perfectly happy with MGs.

I think the new source engine particle editor is incompatible with old files though, so it might be a bit of effort to remake all the tracers. I might do it soonish.

I'm not happy with infantry tracers either, I like how they look from first person but when you see other infantry shooting you ask yourself why infantry are using 45mm tracer cannon shells.

16. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Honestly, I could still be wrong on how vehicle cooling works. That shit's wack'd.

17. Z100000M

1) But thats pretty freaking obvious. You just have to pay attention to the heat bar. Considering the giant diffrence between moving/not moving for both of the engines, its pretty easy to figure out, except for the moving faster bit with fission which, if true, is barely noticable. I knew about the pivot but that doesnt really help narrow the gap.

2)I agree that its gimmicky, but Id rather have it the other way around, actual speed determining your heat exchange. You could still go pretty slow with ace, but without actual, finger hating, tapping, and still have good cooling. Basing it around pressing W is what seems really bad for me.

18. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Afaik it's just 100% while pressing/not pressing W in the case of both engines respectively. I'd love to tie it to actual speed but there's no support for that.

As A-z-K said, the engines have always been the most lacklustre research area, so trying to introduce some mechanics to them is pretty important. Sadly, there isn't a particularly intuitive way to actually display this to the player, so I've been relying on ingame server-based tooltips (which aren't working due to Sourcemod not working) and word of mouth.

I won't remove the function, but if people want to design me 2 similar functions that can be shown intuitively, with what's available, I'm more than happy to go down that road and replace them. I'm just not going back to 5 engines that are all 95% identical to eachother with a few very small changed statistics.

19. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

My main problem with fission is that if you oveheat even slightly then you are dead. When stalled (at the minute), 100% throttle takes AGES to cool you. Is there any way of reducing that time?

20. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

You could probably allow ~10% throttle during overheat (biodiesel has 100%), which would get it out of "idle" mode and maybe speed up the wait time.

Of course, I honestly don't understand how overheat works. It's like if you hit 100 heat, then it adds like ten heat and weapons are disabled until it gets back below 100. Or maybe there's just a flat timer. Idk.