Different turrets for commander and engineer

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Jessiah, Aug 28, 2009.

?

How to differentiate commander turrets from engineer turrets

1. Model Only

16.7%
  2. Damage/Function + Models

83.3%
  1. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

First off I will note this is already happening due to the unofficial art team. This thread is about what should be changed other then the models, if anything.

The idea is to make commander turrets looks more like entrenchments, proper heavy defences that are solidly built. The engineer turret would have a look similar to turrets now, where they look portable. Should anything change aside from the models? Should commander turrets function different from engineer turrets in any way? Should one be stronger than the other?

2. TheAmethystDuke

TheAmethystDuke Member

Buff commander turrets HP, and scale their cost(other thread).

And yes, change the moddels.

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Comms could use a turret tower, for protecting bases without buildings getting in the way, or you could just stick a couple of turrets on all the buildings.

Also engineers could probably do with some changes, the current turret system is a bit unproffessional.

Give engineers a thing that works like a SLAM in HL2dm, except when you stick it to something it deploys a little turret, it'd have quite a bit of inacccuracy but decent damage, so at very close range it works like a level 3, at longer range it would work like a level 1, and it would have a maximum range equivalent to a level 1, it can be stuck on walls and ceilings as well as the floor and also inside/on buildings, and it would be damaged by small arms. It also has a characteristic alert sound and firing noise so allies know to check it out when it goes off, and enemies know it's there once it starts shooting, it would also have a little flashing light on it.

That should be more fun to use than MG turrets and can't be camped as much as current turrets. It also makes it more useful for base defence because you can drop one or two inside a rax to stop people rushing into it and killing your dudes but it won't stop people getting close enough to nadespam, fighting level 3 MGs is really boring so I don't think we should make it happen more than neccesary.

For MLs I would have them work more or less the same, except make them a bit taller, at the moment they tend to get blocked by terrain rather easily, I'd rather have them about man-height and with a bit more firepower and range, so they're easier to spot and kill but do more damage while they're up, which seems to be better than the existing ones considering it's something tanks face, tank obstacles should be scaled like tanks, big and powerful.

As for comm turrets, have them along similar lines to the ML, more powerful and bigger, but with a lower cap, spamming turrets is kinda crap, I'd rather face a few that feel a bit more powerful than a million little ones, this isn't tower defence, we shouldn't be spamming things, plus reduced spam is good for ping. Half a dozen big turrets is better than a dozen small ones.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009