did you know refineries output slower when they're damaged?...

Discussion in 'General' started by Xyaminou, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

...I didn't until a few weeks ago.

/discuss

2. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

It looks like it gives the same amount of res, but at longer intervals. So something like
    100% HP = +10/1 tick = 10/tick
    50% HP = +10/2 tick = 5/tick
    10% HP = +10/4 tick = 2.5/tick

3. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Yes, the damage affect the interval at which the Refinery outputs its resources to the team.

Keep in mind in 2.9 the resmeter and the refinery outputs are not synced.
    I don't have the numbers but it's either refinery outputs every 0.66s and resmeter ticks every second or refinery outputs every 1s and resmeter ticks every 1.5s, first one being more likely. Either way it's a 2/3 rapport meaning every 3rd resmeter tick you will get extra resources from your refineries.
    Now for the damage from what I remember of what Smithy told me (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) it's 50% HP = 1/2 output, 25% HP = 1/4 output, 12.5% HP = 1/8 output etc...

4. complete_

complete_ lamer

its so fucked

5. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

This keeps coming up as something people didn't know. I would say we should write it down somewhere but you just did that.

6. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I plan to write it on the wiki but I need the exact maths behind it before I write anything.

7. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Was this always like that or was this recent? Seems like someone fucked up something where sabotage is concerned along the line.

8. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I am speaking to Trickster as I'm writing this and from what he remembers it was introduced by Beerdude back when Trickster was in charge at the same time when they fixed Refinery player multiplier fixed.
    Someone would have to take a look at the changelog (if it's even written in it) to confirm.

9. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Its a good thing. if you cant keep them in good health you don't control the area and you don't deserve the res.

10. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I agree, it's a good mechanic, even though it makes it hard to keep track of your income. My problem is that it's a game changer that was almost completely ignored/unknown until recently.
    It's completely changed my behavior when it comes to attacking and defending refineries.

11. complete_

complete_ lamer

it would be nice if there was a way to show this to people, though

since you're talking to trickster i wonder if he knows how emp_sv_diminishing_returns_basevalue and emp_sv_refinery_diminishing_returns_valueperrefinery exactly work. because it seems like noone in the dev chat does

12. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

If you look closely at the video the animation for the BE ref actually slows down.

13. complete_

complete_ lamer

i sorta see that. it barely slows down

14. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Yep, you really have to be paying close attention to the refinery. And we all know you don't have time for that in an Empires match. But I like the detail.

15. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Usually, if you don't control an area the ref gets killed. This strikes me as a hidden mechanic that unnecessarily makes things more complex both for players and mappers.

blizzerd likes this.
  16. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I frankly dont even see the point to that "mechanic", it doesnt do much to begin with, yet its most definitely not something obvious.

17. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

There's only 2 states to a refinery, down and not down yet. This feels like something I either knew or thought might be a nice idea awhile ago, but generally it feels like because a refinery doesn't actively do something like a rax or armory, it's usually ignored until the area is clear enough to deal with it. So it feels rare that refineries will be partly damaged or stay damaged at all.

So Zoom's kinda right, it doesn't really do much or is obvious. It having an effect at all would be more apparent if everything in empires had some scale of production instead of it does something or it doesn't do something, or it's sabbed and everything is 50%.

w00kie likes this.
  18. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

This is one of the things that someone wouldn't know unless he wasted equally amount of life on this game as I did.

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Imagine an engy in a jeep going around recycling refineries until they are 75% damaged to cut the enemies res in 4 while they cant seem to figure out what is going on since they still have all their refs.

20. Caelo

Caelo Member

If it is kept in maybe a counter should be added hovering above each refinery visible to the comm indicating the res output per interval. That might help teams figure it out.