Devo's *TEMPORARY* UI fixes

Discussion in 'Art' started by Devourawr, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Hi all.

Separating this thread because that thread is for the HUD, and will be implemented in this patch. The freeze date for that patch has passed, so while I still work, nothing in this thread will be going into the next patch.

More importantly, this is a thread to dump minor fixes which still rely on the old code that I am VERY eager to overhaul - so it won't be like this for long anyway. This has taken longer than expected due to a bunch of bugs in the code - some textures are stretched for some reason while some aren't, meaning making things like this need a little ingenuity to work around.

BORDER/MINIMAP FIX - INSTALL RIGHT NOW, NO PATCH REQUIRED
    standard issues of spacing still apply for very small or very large monitors - that's an issue with the Empires code, not on the texture end. It happens with the current borders too - it'll be fixed when the UI is overhauled. I'll be doing buttons next - enjoy.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vbpi1rlfl7siyre/borders.zip?dl=0
    Place in Empires/empires/materials/vgui
    [​IMG]

TRANSPARENT F MENU IN LINE WITH NEW DESIGN
    Place in empires/materials/vgui/popup
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/epgaktmnt995qy3/updated f menu.zip?dl=0
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  2. Awpolt

Awpolt Member

Looks great, thanks! Glad to hear that the UI code will be re-done. I've heard that it's pretty bad and restrains you guys quite a bit. Thin borders like this are great because it gives you just enough color to get your attention but not too much to annoy you.

3. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

Fuck yes.

4. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

UPDATE: A transparent F menu which fits in with the new designs. I'll put the link to download in the OP.

[​IMG]

Buttons are hard but that rant was unrelated and makes it seem like I'm talking about the f menu, which is perfect. In the menu above it looks like the "cover fire" doesn't blend in properly buts that's only because my mouse is hovering over it

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Fucking hell, finally latvia has produced something positive for the world...

6. complete_

complete_ lamer

i dont like the transparent f menu. are you sure the writing wont blend into the background on white maps?

the minimap finally doesnt look stupid anymore, thouogh

7. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

You have a point. I checked it out on frost (got damn that map is way too fucking white and glare-ey) and it wasn't 100% visible. I've made it fade out more slowly now so it's visible on every map.

Also have an icon to increase F menu awareness to the newer players, especially if soon it's going to be in a few languages and they can actually communicate.

[LINKS NOT UPDATED YET]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  8. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I like where you are going with the F menu, but I don't think your work is done with that one yet. The semi-transparent comm rose only really helps the player realize that there are multiple options, but it makes the readability worse. What I'd suggest is one of the following:
    - making everything the same opacity instead of having a falloff
    - making the surrounding buttons more opaque below the actual text (might be difficult to make look good with varying text lengths)
    - giving the text a darker outline or background

9. Avatarix

Or make the outlines of menu more visible, and just make gradient more intense? The outlines on text could help too.

10. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

I won't be editing anything to do with the text because I can't, that's all code-side. However, next patch when we work on it, the text will stand the fuck out because it will have a REAL font and way better positioning/colour/closer to the centre. This patch will just make the texture far better so you don't lose 90% of your screen when asking for a refinery.