Delay a match being decided

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Icely, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Icely

Icely Member

This suggestion is simple, find a way to delay the victors in a match from being decided early on in the game.

Too often I see games where it is apparent who will win shortly after the start, and usually it only takes that long to see becuase you don't know how the other team is doing until you met them. Additionally, I personally feel that if I'm not carefully managing my stamina to move as fast as possible at the start of a game I'm letting my team down. And I think this is a major problem in Empires

Therefore I am suggesting that this community work towards figuring out why this happens and finding solutions to improve the flow of the game. I'm not putting forward any specific suggestions here becuase I do not want to distract from the problem with possible solutions.

So, is this really a problem worth working on?

2. Bass

Bass Member

I don't quite understand.

Are you against 8mines and APC rushes?

3. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

The team which does the best early is the winner.. ? Kinda logical.

4. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

It's just a mapping problem. If a map has only 1 one 2 important places, then of course the first one, who capture them will have an advantage.

But when you play a while, you will notice that quite often lost games are changing. And I don't mean 8 mine or APC rush.

For example on emp_cyclopean my team had heavy tanks, guided missles and every refinery. But then we get to confident of victory and the enemy managed it to get the refineries back. Shortly we ran out of ressources and the enemy overruned us.

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i am currently mapping a map where the place required to win will give no benefit other then when the timer ends you win

so the person to hold that place automatically has to spread his defenses very thin, and giving advantage on resources and forces to the other team

i hope this will solve the problem a little

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The community has been trying to find a solution to this for a long time, good that you think the same though.

7. Icely

Icely Member

I think that is a separate although related problem. Those cases result in the normal flow of the game - fight for resources to improve how well you can fight for resources - being circumvented.

What I have a problem with is when you fist met the opposing team and can with a good deal of accuracy say which of you is going to win. It doesn't always happen but for a significant portion of matches it does. I realise that in any PvP game you can have better players on one team and it can become clear who will win before the match is over, but in Empires I think this problem is significantly more apparent than in other PvP games.

8. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

This has been a long-discussed problem. I think there are multiple ways to solve (which have been discussed in various forms)

Problem: Match 'winner' determined early (in first 10 min) but match lasts much longer (1 hour)

Solution 1:
    Make it so the winning team can win 'faster'
    e.g. researchable superweapons/supertech

Solution 2:
    Provide a method for the losing to come back
    e.g. enhance ninjaing, resources for kills/mining dead vehicles, enhance turtling

Solution 3:
    Hinder the winning team's advantage
    e.g. upkeep system (think WC3)

The ultimate goal is a fun game, which the current system doesn't always ensure.