Default Tank Layouts upon installation

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by The Buttery Lobster, Aug 28, 2008.

1. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

This is a simple fix that could save us all some newbie headache, i think.

Basically, when you install the game, the first tanks that are default are TERRIBLE. The light tank has all the weapons, sure, but it's armor layout is: 2 plates on the front, and nothing anywhere else. If anything, default tank layouts should be with as much armor as possible, and less weaponry. Weight isn't an issue because default tanks use plain armor, not something heavy like reactive.

I see a newbie at least every other day spawn a tank like this, specifically, a light tank with two plates of front armor AND NOTHING ELSE. I think it would save all of us veterans a little bit of frustration, and it would certainly ease newbies into the game a bit more smoothly.

oh, and if this isn't supposed to be in the [CONFIDENTIAL] forum, my apologies. Blame Sonata, he told me to put it here.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Yep doesn't belong here, you could try reading some guidelines yourself instead of relying on other people.

The layouts were going to be added, by me specifically, but after taking a better look at all the possible combinations after "default" I decided that it was probably best to keep them as they are until we figure out something better. Current default preset is indeed horrible, that would be a quick fix, but it's not much different, assuming that people should figure out how to customize.

3. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

How about this
    Jeep: Std Engine/Armor; Full Plates (1 per side)
    APC: Std Engine/Armor; Full Plates (3 per side); 3 StdMg
    LT/AFV: Std Engine/Armor; Full Plates (3/2 per side); StdCN, StdML, StdMG
    Med: Std Engine/Armor; Full Plates (4 per side); NF - 2 StdML; BE - 2 StdCN
    Heavy: Std Engine/Armor; Full Plates (6 per side); NF - 2 StdML; BE - 2 StdCN
    Arty: Std Engine/Armor; Full Plates (3 per side); Std ArtyCN

4. Demented

Demented Member

As far as the defaults go, I think the basic rule should probably be a standard weapon in every hardpoint and as much armor as possible (i.e. one Std CN and Std ML for medium tanks, a Std MG and GL for the APC). Except for the jeep, with no armor. Not very powerful or efficient, but versatile and likely to familiarize newbies with everything available.

Though, one would hope that newbies wouldn't be building paper medium or heavy tanks habitually...

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Hey wait a minute!!! i can add double the amount of guns if i just take these stupid gray lines off of the side of my vehicle... I AM ZE EXPLOITIN MUAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

standard tanks basically will make them use inferior tanks when new research has been developed i think

6. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

But standard is the only guaranteed research. A default setup should require no customization (i.e. you hit 'build' and get a tank). The only other option is to make some complicated system where the default is updated with the latest/best research. Seems easier to just give each chassis standard armor/engine/weapons.

7. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

Dude... my point is, they ALREADY use shitty tanks. They use tanks with NO ARMOR whatsoever. At least now the newb shitty tanks are equal to other shitty tanks when vehicles first roll out.

8. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

It could easly be a third party addon.
    It is less likely to be downloaded, but it is rather easy to distribute as a package.

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

what about letting the comm decide what the standard armament's are?

maybe even make the comm restrict the vf from building non-standard tanks

10. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

or it should start with absolutely no armour and no weapons.

you get the joy of customising your tank for the first time, but no newbie will have illusions that they start with a proper usable tank.

11. Empty

Empty Member

This.
    <filler>